Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 4:37 pm

Well, a friend I went to school with told me this and I thought I'd share. I have a link for it but she said you can take any courses you want that MIT offers for free. They publish all the stuff online and they will even send you free books for some she said.

I wonder what the catch it.

Anyway, here is the link. MIT free courses

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 5:50 pm

thank you for that public spirited post :wtg:

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

That the vast majority of people won't have the motivation or willpower to complete an entire MIT course, much less several?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

That the vast majority of people won't have the motivation or willpower to complete an entire MIT course, much less several?

I saw quite a few that I was interested in. I may give it a shot. I do think that probably most of the people who can actually understand the level they teach at won't have any interest in learning it for free though.

It's more than computers and math I found out when I went to look. They have lots of other things.

And I was absolutely, completely shocked when I saw they had an Athletics and PE department. Yes, I bought into the stereotype.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 6:17 pm

This seems a lot like Coursera which also offers college classes for free. I like Coursera's site, the layout is a bit more viewer friendly in my opinion.

Annaliina
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm

Wow! That's really neat! I had to leave school because of my headaches (which I'm starting to understand are sensory overload), so that'll be nice to be able to keep learning until I can continue attending (though maybe with online courses) college.

Thanks!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

Annaliina wrote:
Wow! That's really neat! I had to leave school because of my headaches (which I'm starting to understand are sensory overload), so that'll be nice to be able to keep learning until I can continue attending (though maybe with online courses) college.

Thanks!

Hey, if you do it please post and let me know how it is and how its working. I'm really interested in it.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:04 pm

Harvard also offers free online courses, but fewer courses.

Annaliina

30 Jul 2013, 3:48 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Annaliina wrote:

Thanks!

Hey, if you do it please post and let me know how it is and how its working. I'm really interested in it.

Sure! I actually saw one at Harvard that I wanted to take (I was curious as to how it'd be free => googled 'free MIT courses' => the site that popped up advertised for both => MIT had so many it made choosing hard => Harvard had only a few) on neuroscience. I think I should go into that field (neurobiology, -psychology included, as well) because I find the differences in neurodiversity fascinating. As well as knowing how and why things work is how I navigate my world, studying the brain and how autism affects it can help me me learn to voice myself to NTs.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:26 pm

Thank you so much for sharing; the MIT OpenCourseware page is an amazing resource. :D

I may be at a misunderstanding, but it seems to me that the MIT OpenCourseware is a collection-- a "wiki," perhaps-- of all of their video lectures, class notes, previous tests and exams, and other class materials, whilst the edX program offers the actual courses that can be taken for actual credit.

As for the "catch," it appears that the university genuinely wants to spread knowledge in hopes that "students" will one day do something profound with that knowledge;

“The idea is simple: to publish all of our course materials online and make them widely available to everyone.”
Dick K.P. Yue, Professor, MIT School of Engineering

Quote:
Through OCW, educators improve courses and curricula, making their schools more effective; students find additional resources to help them succeed; and independent learners enrich their lives and use the content to tackle some of our world’s most difficult challenges, including sustainable development, climate change, and cancer eradication.

Kelspook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2013, 3:33 am

This looks fantastic. I think the only catch is that you can't use it towards a degree or anything, it's simply for the satisfaction of learning things. Not a bad thing! Reckon I may dive back into physics, thanks for posting this OliveOilMom :D

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 5:49 pm

My brother is taking a few of their courses, just for the heck of it. They don't count for course credit or anything, but he seemed pretty into it the last time I spoke with him.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 6:10 pm

I bet it would suck to take a ton of courses, enough to actually graduate with a good degree and then not be able to use your knowledge. I could see it now. "I basically have a Masters from MIT in engineering, but the courses didn't count for credit. That's why I work at Marathon." Marathon is a convenience store/gas station here in town. ;-)

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2013, 6:29 pm

The main disadvantage of the online (edX/Coursera) is the lack of formal recognition of achievement.

The main reason for this is the lack of proper assessment. To cope with the number of students for no cost the assessment has to be automated. Since there is not full assessment it is not possible to issue recognised qualifications.

------------

I can seen MOOCs move to the "premium" model in the future where the courses are offered free. Assessment (human marking of assignments and exams) leading to qualifications would be charged for.