Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sanome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2013, 11:27 am

- -

Last edited by Sanome on 04 Oct 2013, 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Noone can dispute what you are saying.

However, even by removing makeup, is this not just a small step towards - what? Equality? Honesty? Are you saying that the truth is the layer that's directly under the makeup?

The 'enemy' isn't just magazines and the media; the enemy is having set so much stall in appearances in the first place. When we stop seeing with the eye, and placing so much value on our senses, perhaps we'll get closer to true equality, and understand who whe are much better than the packaging in which we are supposedly contained in.

I'm not sure posting anyone's picture will do this.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:36 pm

As someone who is mtf trans, I use makeup to make myself more presentable. I wear makeup because it's easier to pass with makeup than it is without. It's tied into self-confidence, and trying to fit in.

Because of my AS, and anxiety issues, I want to do everything I can to not stand out. Makeup helps with that. It's not a complete answer or solution, but it helps. It's a way of not drawing attention to me, and being just like everyone else.

I have a pic of me on my blog. The link is below.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 12:10 am

Sanome wrote:
How does the perfectionism of women in magazines etc. affect you?

. . .

I have always considered girls without makeup to be incredibly more attractive than those that wear it. You are extraordinarily beautiful and I can't imagine you improving upon it without adding layers of falsehoods.

Makeup, tattoos, etc... all originated as a means of group identification. Your family, your clan, your tribe, your village, your city, your kingdom, etc. By being a means of standing out different among others and to be identified became an object of vanity relatively quickly. Men did it, women did it.

Today, honestly, I think women wear makeup to compete with other women more than to attract men. Let's be frank here, every woman knows the first thing a guy looks at is not her face and makeup.

Magazines and ads use too much the 'cover imperfections' (their finely crafted word.. 'imperfections'.. to create the need) and the result are plastic-looking models. You seen the Russian woman that is identical to Barbie dolls? There were photos of her before and after makeup time and she was insanely hotter without than with.

Then...there's Snooki. good looking without.... monster with. Jersey is a weird place.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2013, 12:32 am

In regards to make-up, the reason many people wear it is because they do not look good without it. Now I am not saying they look good with it, but if it makes them feel better about themselves then go for it.