Toucan

05 May 2016, 8:52 pm

are you scared of dentists yes or no

GreenSky
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2016, 9:01 pm

YES!

Dentists = sensory overload. As a adult, they are one of the few things that can cause me to have a meltdown. Meltdown = I feel like I am dying. I would rather be waterboarded because I would rather feel like I am drowning. When I have a meltdown I feel like every cell in my body is dying. It is PURE fight or flight.

Nothing I post should EVER be considered legal advice. I am not a lawyer. The only legal advice I am qualified to give you is: "If you need legal advice, seek out an attorney licensed to practice law in your area."

justin_havu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2016, 9:58 pm

Yes. Big time. I've never been to a dentist in my entire life, and it's just not going to happen, no matter how many doctors recommend I do so.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 10:02 pm

No.

Maybe never.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 May 2016, 2:49 am

I don't like going thou I'm not scared. I was alittle scared of going when I had braces thou cuz it hurt, the dentist was not good with kids & always complained that I wasn't brushing my teeth well enough but the dentist I started seeing after I had braces always tells me I do a good job brushing.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 3:10 am

my dentists are nice, very patient (heh) and considerate. but the regular tooth scraping is like an antiquated torture procedure from the medieval days.

the one i had from early childhood until, about 14 years old grew close to me, apparently. it was difficult for her to retire.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 3:41 am

i have health anxiety, and i conflate things in my mind and catastrophize possible outcomes of seeing any medical professional.

with dentists, i worry that they may detect some sort of lesion in my mouth that indicates cancer, and then going for tests that result in half my face being cut out and losing both my eyes in the process.

i know the possibility of such an outcome is minimal, but it is not a zero possibility, and therein lies the seed of a flourishing jungle of anxiety that i have difficulty in navigating.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2016, 3:45 am

To be honest I actually kinda liked the dentist. The dentist I visited it very nice and I would get a free toothbrush.
Except that time I needed a tooth extraction *shudders*

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 3:47 am

b9 wrote:
i have health anxiety, and i conflate things in my mind and catastrophize possible outcomes of seeing any medical professional.

with dentists, i worry that they may detect some sort of lesion in my mouth that indicates cancer, and then going for tests that result in half my face being cut out and losing both my eyes in the process.

i know the possibility of such an outcome is minimal, but it is not a zero possibility, and therein lies the seed of a flourishing jungle of anxiety that i have difficulty in navigating.

i can relate.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 4:08 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
b9 wrote:

i can relate.

i had a loose tooth (my right maxillary lateral incisor) about a year ago, and i freaked out that the cause was cancer.
i had the guts to go to the dentist who ordered an x-ray of my teeth, and i went and got the x-ray, and i harrassed the radiographer as to whether he could see anything unusual in the x-ray, and he said that he was not qualified to give an opinion, and that amplified my anxiety.
when i went back to the dentist with the x-ray, i was mortified and steeled myself for the delivery of his diagnosis, but it was simply that i had an infection in the gum, and that was treated with antibiotics, but he said the tooth was not rooted well in the gum any more, and would have to eventually come out.

well what a relief.
i still have that tooth, and it has not got any looser, but i now have a slight sensation of needing to sneeze in my right nostril. i am not sure if i feel anything or not really, but i fixate my mind on the area and am now worried that the infection i had a year ago has caused a cancer that is invading my sinus cavity and i am too paranoid to go to either the doctor or the dentist to find out.
if i start to feel facial pain or any true symptoms, i will go and try to fix it, but i will wait until my mind gives up being paranoid about that matter as it is.

i have had the sensation for about 3 weeks and i console myself that i would certainly be aware of true symptoms emerging by now if it was cancer, but it will take another 6 or so weeks of non development of symptoms to release my mind from that fixation.

then no doubt i will feel something odd somewhere else in my body that will consume my mind.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 10:23 pm

No as I have a very good dentist even when he had to take my wisdom tooth out last year he made sure my gum was completely numb before he took it.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 2:43 pm

Going to the dentists are horribly uncomfortable experiences for me, especially when I have a cavity and they have to put this mask thing on my face and I nearly have panic attacks because there's this primal fear of drowning or suffocating inside of me.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 11:23 pm

I used to be, but as of about a year ago I have started being more OK with it.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 10:24 am

Only in that I have to be tranquilized before seeing one.

cammaxx100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2016, 3:09 pm

yes nut now i go to knock out denist

BabbityRabbity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2016, 4:30 pm

I actually like going to the dentist too. I'm lucky because mine is small and cozy and the people are really nice. Also thankfully my teeth are healthy so I haven't had to have painful procedures done, so that helps me to like them because I don't have negative associations. And I like how clean my teeth feel afterwards!