What's the most dangerous situation you've ever been in?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 12:23 pm

Oh I completely forgot about this - when i was two a babysitter took me on a kiddie rollercoaster (that had no lap bar) at an amusement park and when it went down the first big hill I went up and over the side, falling completely out. She just caught me by my foot and yanked me back in. She was so shaken that she dragged all us kids to the car and drove straight home.

Later, in the 80s they installed lap bars. Duh.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 1:01 pm

happymusic wrote:
Oh I completely forgot about this - when i was two a babysitter took me on a kiddie rollercoaster (that had no lap bar) at an amusement park and when it went down the first big hill I went up and over the side, falling completely out. She just caught me by my foot and yanked me back in. She was so shaken that she dragged all us kids to the car and drove straight home.

Who the Hell was your babysitter, the girl from the Exorcist?

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 9:59 pm

billybud21 wrote:
happymusic wrote:

HAHA! If you only knew her. She and her family are sort of toxic, to put it nicely. By the time I was 20 my mom didn't really have anymore to do with her. They are strange, strange people. I think in this situation she was just young and imprudent. It's cool, I'm still kickin'. :)

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 10:18 pm

Well, in no particular order:

1. Being pulled out away from shore by a rip-tide when I was already tired.
2. Exploring a storm drain just after a huge rainstorm.
3. Exploring an abandoned barracks (floor rotting out, asbestos, etc.)
4. Couple of really close calls when my brother was driving.
5. Close calls with soda can shrapnel (putting unopened cans in the fire until they explode.)

And a few others I can't pin down right now.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 10:26 pm

happymusic wrote:
billybud21 wrote:
happymusic wrote:

HAHA! If you only knew her. She and her family are sort of toxic, to put it nicely. By the time I was 20 my mom didn't really have anymore to do with her. They are strange, strange people. I think in this situation she was just young and imprudent. It's cool, I'm still kickin'. :)

Happymusic you are unflappable! Must be that Ninja seventh sense. Ummmmm ....yeah ... toxic and strange, those tend to be people that you slink away from, unless you are describing someone who survived Chernobyl.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 10:34 pm

My lung spontaneously collapsed when I was 17. I only told my girlfriend for the first two days about the fact that I was in extreme pain. On the third day I finally let my mom know and a day or two later the doctors figured out what it was and the only reason I let my parents take me to the hospital was because I thought Marie needed me. Since she didn't I regret the whole thing. I'd have rather got better on my own or died without costing my mom $6000 in medical bills. That fact my mom reminded me of for months and months.

I've also had heat stroke more times than I could count, I had a case of the flu so bad I couldn't hardly move, I've hit myself in the windpipe with a fence-post I was trying to bend to breakage as part of my job and other near misses.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm

*My Birth---I was delivered by emergency C-section after getting tangled up in my cord (over 45 minutes of oxygen deprivation).

*Chased---My older cousin and I were chased by a Jeep while we were walking on Daytona Beach in 1973 when I was a child. We ended up escaping by jumping up onto a block wall next to the Howard Johnson's Hotel and out of harm's way. I can still hear the guys in that Jeep yelling at us as they tried to run us over. My cousin and I had done nothing to them. All we were doing was walking on the beach.

*Roller Coaster---I was riding a roller coaster in 1974 when the lap bar disengaged when I was a child. I was riding with my father's friend. This friend held me in the coaster car keeping me from flying out. This coaster is notable for incredible air time.

*Tornado---I got caught in a tornado when I was driving home from college in 1986 while driving in a VW Beetle. It kept trying to tip over as I tried to slow down. I had to keep my speed up to prevent it from tipping over.

*Accident---Around 1986, an older man pulled out in front of me in my VW Beetle and we collided hard. The older man's insurance company was afraid I was going to sue, so they offered me a $1000 dollar cash settlement. I accepted it and bought my first big synthesizer.

*Pulmonary Embolism---After having back surgery in 2004, I got a blood clot in my right leg. Part of the clot went to my right lung causing a pulmonary embolism.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:14 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot: I was nearly run over by a fully-loaded semi truck while ATVing on a beach section of the PCH when I was a kid.

IWantYourSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2010, 7:01 am

I was in car accident once where we almost flipped the car into a ditch.

I stuck a small electric motor into a power point once. I dropped the motor in a fright before I got zapped