Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 11:02 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Well its definitely much perkier today. It is looking larger and its abdomen is more bulbous and darker. The mayfly is at the bottom and is contorted and shrunken, that is to do with how spiders digest. I can clearly see its Pedipalps. Those are like hands or 9-10th legs that aid digestion, but in the male is used to transfer sperm. Well it looks like it may be a she not a he. This explains:
She was doing a really funny dance, where she appeared to get stuck but wasn’t. Sort of wriggling around and making many anchor spot on the window. Occasionally dropping down a short line and climbing up and repeating the behaviour. Well it turns out this is to coat the tips of the leg in silk so she can walk directly on the window pane, and also for added grip for pulling (explain later). This enables her to take short cuts to lines to build in structure and support struts. It is really interesting the precursor to the final web structure, more interesting infact. She appears to be making attachments all over the place in a seemingly random fashion. The final web structure has a much thicker line. The lines that she is doing now are barely visible at all. I really like how they can abseil/rappel and grappel really well. I thought parrots were great climbers but they are no good going down especially not backward because of a blind spot (It is really funny). Orb web spiders on the other hand don't have this problem because the can make an anchor and abseil, dropping huge distances in split seconds. They use one of their back legs as a break. Anyway not only can they drop down on these lines, they connect lines together and pull them in to the shape they want. This can build more complex structures. Like my spider drops down from the top of the window frame right down to the central bar then uses the added grip on her front legs to pull herself sideways along the central bar (without having to be fully on it) then anchors in the corner to form a large diagonal line. Then she climbs back up again and makes connections to the diagonal and pulls these so the diagonal line into several angles that forms a part of a scaffold for the final web. It looks like she has a massive web planed. She has gone right up to the outer frame of the window.

Some things just need to be seen in motion. Can you get a spidey cam on her and post a Day in the Life of a Spider series on YouTube?
That would be awesome. We can be her/his fans and keep track of what's what....

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 11:47 am

Well it built quite a small web. maybe it just doesn't need a big/normal web at the moment. It also quite disordered (for her), but she did build it really quickly.

Yes I did think of filming it. I would have to get the equipment first.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:04 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:
psych wrote:
Are those all your own pics? thats very cool - im inspired to start myself 8)

Yep; spiders are one of my favorite subjects. The top two sets were taking with my newer Canon S3IS, which I actually need to learn how to use better. The latter ones were taking with my old Nikon Coolpix 990, which was a great camera for years but eventually died. Lemme dig up a few more pics...

Mama Cellar Spider
(Like garden spiders, these are scary looking but harmless.)

Spring Brood of Garden Spiders
(Aren't they cute!)

Out of the Darkness I Come for Thee
(This is the same spider pictured previously by the ruler.)

My All Time Favorite Spider Pic
(I actually have no idea what kind of spidy that is; taken in the Tampa Bay area in FL; some sort of orb weaver.)

Enjoy.

- Icarus & Friends

I like the ones at the top, they have eggs :) Hoards of tiny spiders freak me out

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 12:25 pm

what was the "odd place" that you mentioned?

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:42 pm

They're so perfectly and beautifully constructed. Their own archetecture is amazing.

I believe a spider once saved the life of King David... need to find the story...but it's a true one.

Last edited by jjstar on 10 Oct 2007, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:46 pm

Teaching Tales: King David and the Spider
Retold by Aaron Zerah

When King David was still a boy watching over his father's sheep, he often came upon spiders' webs strung across tree branches and shining in the sun. David thought the spiders were wonderful to weave such webs, but he could see no use for them.

David decided to ask God about it. "Why, O Creator of the world, did you make spiders? You can't even wear their webs as clothing!"

God answered David, "A day will come when you will need the work of this creature. Then you will thank me."

David grew up and became a courageous warrior. He defeated the giant Goliath and many enemies of the people of Israel. He married King Saul's daughter and the people adored him as the greatest man in the land.

King Saul was jealous and afraid of David and sent his soldiers to kill him. David ran away to the wilderness. He hoped King Saul's fit of anger would pass and David would be safe to return. But King Saul's men kept chasing him.

At last, the soldiers were very close. David ran into a cave to hide. He heard the footsteps of the men and knew that they would soon find him. David was so afraid, his bones shook and hurt.

But then David saw a big spider at the front of the cave. Very quickly, it was spinning a web all the way across the opening. Just before the soldiers came up to the cave, the spider finished the web. As the men started to enter the cave, they ran into the web. "Look," they said, "This web is unbroken. If David were here, he'd have torn the web to pieces. He must be hiding somewhere else. Let's go!"

So because of the spider, David's life was saved. David understood that God was wise and thanked God for creating all the creatures, including the spiders.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/40/story_4038_1.html

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 2:44 pm

WhiteRaven wrote:
what was the "odd place" that you mentioned?

Near to the ceiling in a corner. It left one of its molts there.

It has now 'double lined' its web to renforce it. The strands are typically 3 mm apart.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:50 pm

Assassin spiders

Only about to around 2mm is size. But proportionally have very long necks, jaw and fangs. Spiders do not have a separated head and thorax they are the exception. It has no web it literally snares its prey.

Diving Bell Spider
Lives entirely underwater
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_bell_spider

Golden silk orb weaver
a genus of spiders noted for the golden webs they weave

wiki wrote:
Behavior

Some "Golden silk orb-weavers" display an almost manic fear of cockroaches. The cockroach's fast movements and large, dark shape cause some of these spiders to run from or ignore a perfectly delectable meal. "Golden silk orb-weavers" are known to sometimes be cannibalistic with spiders that are even their same size.

It is un ucited though.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 8:33 am

Well I gave it a wasp. I cut the stinger end off. But it wasn't a bit impressed, obviously not a viable food source.

It has now built a web on a bag of curry leaves. I don't know if it is the smell or it knows if it builds its web there it will have better camouflage and there will likely be insects.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 7:25 pm

I can peacefully co-exist with spiders, primarly because they are predators for much more annoying bugs, like mosquitos, flies and gnats. My only gripe about spiders is that they sometimes spin webs in inconvenient places. Across the windows is a great place, but in the middle of a doorway, or across somewhere else I must traverse is a problem.

I like frogs too. Frogs can eat lots of gnats, mosquitos, and flies too. They don't spin webs, but they can be a bit noisy at times

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2007, 11:54 pm

Spiders == scary.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:09 am

Spiders are fine & dandy in their own world outside of my home, but if they come in here their gonna get squashed or vacuumed. I do always say I'm sorry, & mean it.
I took my mum up into the mountains a couple years ago for her birthday... was standing out in the brush at night for 30 min looking at the views. Came home with two tarantellas hitchhiking in my pants. They both ran in different directions in the bathroom when I was changing later... never felt so... so... what's the feeling?... icky. I didn't scream though, you have to give me credit for that.
My 6th grade teacher had a pet tarantella in the classroom. She would shut the light off after feeding it & we could hear it singing. Pretty sound... poor bug.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:28 am

AV-geek wrote:
I can peacefully co-exist with spiders, primarly because they are predators for much more annoying bugs, like mosquitos, flies and gnats. My only gripe about spiders is that they sometimes spin webs in inconvenient places. Across the windows is a great place, but in the middle of a doorway, or across somewhere else I must traverse is a problem.

I like frogs too. Frogs can eat lots of gnats, mosquitos, and flies too. They don't spin webs, but they can be a bit noisy at times

Totally, there was a persistent spider that always spun its web across my front gate . No matter how many times I walked into it, it still put it right in the same place (and I still walked into it). Spiders vary quite a bit in adaptability and intelligence. Not really surprising if you contrast with birds which have around 10,000 species in the order of spiders (Aranea), there are 40,000 and in the Arachnida including spiders, harvestmen, scorpions, ticks and mites there around 70,000.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 4:42 pm

I lub this girl :) :P

Her webs are, shall we say, quite expressionistic nowadays. I think because there is no wind or rain in doors, so there is little point in spending a great deal of time on a structurally strong web. I think she takes a leaf out of Jo Brand's housekeeping philosophy: 'f**k it that'll do'.

I talk to her and she acknowledges I'm there by doing a little wriggle. If I blow on her gently she goes all scrunched up :D

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2007, 5:12 pm

I LOVE spiders, especially tarantulas (chilean rose tarantula is my favourite :)
I wish i could have one, but i live with arachnophobic person... my dogs like spiders though, especially hunting them <_<"

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 5:27 pm

I had a dead tarantula as a kid that was mounted behind glass. One of its legs fell off eventually. I think I'm more interested in ambush, jumping and orb. Big hunting spider's like tarantellas just don't do it for me. I'll look more largish hunting spiders see if there are any that appeal.