The Pirate 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
The Survivor 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
WHAT?! I'm not an otaku! Baka iidesu yo! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 1:39 am

I'm sorry, but I was reading a special edition of Future Anime magazine today, and on the very last page, I found this hilarious article:

THE DESCENDANT OF FAN
Breaking down the many and varied subspecies of otaku americanus

--THE CLOSET CAUCASIAN
He was born into the bland, white-bread society of the good old U.S.A., and he'll never stop being ashamed. He hopes to immerse himself in Japanese language and culture enough to escape this country for good... and when he gets to Japan, he'll wonder why everyone treats him like a foreigner.

--THE SUGAR RUSH
Teenage girls tend to be the most common victim of the deadly Pixy Stix/Pocky speedball. You'll see them running around convention halls after midnight, pupils pinned to tiny black dots in saucer-wide eyes. If you think that's bad, wait until they turn 21 and make the step up to binge drinking.

--THE FANFIC FIEND
This would-be J.K. Rowling churns out reams of "original" stories starring all their favorite anime, manga, and whatever-else characters. Which is fine, but they can't keep their stories to themselves. If you're lucky, you'll escape before he or she shares all the details of Spock and Ash Ketchum's fantasy sex life.

--THE COSPLAY COMPETITOR
This fan was probably picked last at kickball for years. Now, he or she has found something else to win at - convention costume contests. Their creations are elaborate, detailed, and beautiful, but get between the cosplay junkie and the adoration they feel they deserve, and you may wind up with a huge pair of pinking shears in your back.

--THE SOCIAL MISFIT
He never had friends in high school - he's not a bad guy, just awkward beyond belief. Now he's off to college, and the campus anime club is the first time he's ever met anyone he can relate to. Four years of rehabilitation will render him able to interact with other people. Let's hope so, anyway.

--THE PIRATE
He was around in the days of bootleg VHS tapes, but the Internet really lets him wave his Jolly Roger high. He steals everything - anime, music, movies, video games - and he can't resist telling you all about the latest chunk of data he just got the five-finger discount on.

--THE SURVIVOR
He's older than the rest of these - pushing 30 or a couple of years past it. He might have found his way out of fandom for a while. Then he goes back to a club or convention, and he spends some time hanging with the younger generation. A terrible realization dawns: I'm still one of them.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 4:42 am

-THE SOCIAL MISFIT
He never had friends in high school - he's not a bad guy, just awkward beyond belief. Now he's off to college, and the campus anime club is the first time he's ever met anyone he can relate to. Four years of rehabilitation will render him able to interact with other people. Let's hope so, anyway.

--THE PIRATE
He was around in the days of bootleg VHS tapes, but the Internet really lets him wave his Jolly Roger high. He steals everything - anime, music, movies, video games - and he can't resist telling you all about the latest chunk of data he just got the five-finger discount on.

--THE SURVIVOR
He's older than the rest of these - pushing 30 or a couple of years past it. He might have found his way out of fandom for a while. Then he goes back to a club or convention, and he spends some time hanging with the younger generation. A terrible realization dawns: I'm still one of them.

I am all these ^^ . I still cosplay. I am older than them, I am still one of them though, (don't look or feel my age) I feel as though I finally fit in. I go to cons. I still read manga very day. I am up to date with all the mangas and animes translated weekly by fans on line. I'm obsessed with Japan/ manga/ anime related stuff. I am going on a manga tour of Japan next year. I am most certainly Otaku lol.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 8:05 pm

misswoofalot wrote:
-THE SOCIAL MISFIT

--THE PIRATE

--THE SURVIVOR

I am all these ^^ . I still cosplay. I am older than them, I am still one of them though, (don't look or feel my age) I feel as though I finally fit in. I go to cons. I still read manga very day. I am up to date with all the mangas and animes translated weekly by fans on line. I'm obsessed with Japan/ manga/ anime related stuff. I am going on a manga tour of Japan next year. I am most certainly Otaku lol.

The one that fits me the best is probably Closet Caucasian. I'm American, and I think America is cool and all, but Japan is just so much cooler.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 1:11 am

I'd like to know what life is there "after" for the otakus, that is, when they turn over 20

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 2:28 am

computerlove wrote:
I'd like to know what life is there "after" for the otakus, that is, when they turn over 20

I'm about 2 years away from finding out, apparently...

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 3:25 am

computerlove wrote:

Maybe move to Japan. Try to look younger and fit in still. I'm 31. lol.

Khaaaaan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2009, 9:06 am

social misfit fits the most for me, but then again that kinda does for everybody here lol