Where would you go if you had a time machine?

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sXeZombie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2009, 4:14 am

Early 1930's America for sure. All the glamour would be AMAZING.
19th Century London as well.
I'd like to see the FAR future, like one billion years in to the future to see what happens.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 6:33 am

sXeZombie wrote:
I'd like to see the FAR future, like one billion years in to the future to see what happens.
What use is that? By that time, if humanity still exists, they would most likely have deserted Earth millions of years ago and you wouldn't be able to find any trace of them. Earth will likely be a barren rock. A billion is a huge number.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 9:04 am

It's funny that so many people have this idea that a "Time Machine" will not only take you to a different time, but to a different place as well.

I always figured that a Time Machine will take me to any time I want, but I'll still be standing in the exact same place. Once I get to the time I desire, I'll have to find my own mode of transportation to the place I want. :roll:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 11:29 am

Back to visit two of my favorite authors, Poe and Lovecraft.

Back to visit Ben Franklin.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 5:41 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
It's funny that so many people have this idea that a "Time Machine" will not only take you to a different time, but to a different place as well.

I always figured that a Time Machine will take me to any time I want, but I'll still be standing in the exact same place. Once I get to the time I desire, I'll have to find my own mode of transportation to the place I want. :roll:

What I want to know is this: If I use my Time Machine to go 24 hours into the future, so I appear in this exact same spot one day from now, how is this spot defined? If my Time Machine is sitting on the rug in front of my rocking chair, in my house---24 hours from now, the Earth will be in a different position relative to the sun and everything else in space. So, will I end up in front of my rocking chair? Or will I end up floating in space? If I want to go to a different point in time, then in order to be "here", I still need to have some way of calculating where "here" will be (was) at that point in time. Whether I want to visit San Francisco at 7:00 am on May 4, 1962, or Toyko at 7:00 am on May 4, 1962, my Time Machine still needs to find that point in space as well as time. Otherwise I'm stuck in an asteroid belt or something.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 4:40 am

elderwanda wrote:
CleverKitten wrote:

What I want to know is this: If I use my Time Machine to go 24 hours into the future, so I appear in this exact same spot one day from now, how is this spot defined? If my Time Machine is sitting on the rug in front of my rocking chair, in my house---24 hours from now, the Earth will be in a different position relative to the sun and everything else in space. So, will I end up in front of my rocking chair? Or will I end up floating in space? If I want to go to a different point in time, then in order to be "here", I still need to have some way of calculating where "here" will be (was) at that point in time. Whether I want to visit San Francisco at 7:00 am on May 4, 1962, or Toyko at 7:00 am on May 4, 1962, my Time Machine still needs to find that point in space as well as time. Otherwise I'm stuck in an asteroid belt or something.

I go somewhere, but first travel to a time where people can give me a thorough understanding of temporal mechanics. :)

TheMisfit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Oct 2009, 4:46 am

1980s. Wanted to see younger dad and mom. And 1990s too. Wanted to see myself growing up.

Groltag
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2009, 11:55 am

To a time where I could see Jimi Hendrix and Led zeppelin live.

That is all I'd want to do.

linah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Oct 2009, 5:55 pm

I would go back to 1920 and travel around the world and hang out with the poets, artists and other bohemians from that time (but not before stopping by in 1983 to see the Smiths live...).
Or If i wouldn't manage to get any friends it would also be interesting to work in a lighthouse...

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 6:31 pm

It would be really cool to see the place where I live before my house was built. I know the area have a very interesting history...

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 6:33 pm

elderwanda wrote:
CleverKitten wrote:

8O You make me want to do more research! Thank you for fueling my obsession! :D

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 7:28 pm

The problem with wanting to become immortal is the problem that you will watch your friends die and become bored with life. The same things over and over.

I'd choose to go to my own childhood era and see which of my parents screwed up. Although I think I know who anyway. Watch myself ride a bike without stabilisers on for the first time. Yea yea, I was there anyway, but to see me from an older perspective would be great

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 11:40 pm

I'd travel back to the second half of the 1960s, including 1965.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 2:04 am

I would travel 2 years in the past and show this iSheep in my old boy scout troop my Cowon iAUDIO D2.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 3:26 pm

I would go back to the 1920's (fourth dimension) in the U.S. (third dimension) to experience the birth of Jazz, amazing inventions of the time, early aviation, and a golden age of Baseball. Check out videos of the young Louis Armstrong. Imagine seeing him perform live!

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 3:55 pm

I'd probably go back to a time period of when my great-grandfather was alive, not to interfere in events whatsover but, to understand what life was like during his time as, he had AS..