anyone else hate the way people spell on the internet?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 7:43 pm

I'm playing YoVille on Facebook and people are substituting "wat" for "what" and other such shortcuts.

I also don't like numbers that look or sound like a letter in place that letter (b4, numb3rs, se7in)

I keep thinking that people (kids in particular) are going to be using this speak so much on-line that they're going to use this spelling on a job application or on their resume and the interviewer is going to laugh in their face.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 8:53 pm

digger1 wrote:
I'm playing YoVille on Facebook and people are substituting "wat" for "what" and other such shortcuts.

I also don't like numbers that look or sound like a letter in place that letter (b4, numb3rs, se7in)

I keep thinking that people (kids in particular) are going to be using this speak so much on-line that they're going to use this spelling on a job application or on their resume and the interviewer is going to laugh in their face.

Its teh end uv civiliz8shun as we no it.

Seriously, though, I find it kind of irritating as well.

Edited to add: The thing that gets me is that, unless you are a person who truly struggles with spelling, like you have dyslexia or something, then isn't it much easier to just type the flipping word properly without thinking about it, then to stop and try to be cute? If you are old enough to be allowed to use the internet, don't works like "before" and "what" just come so naturally that your fingers automatically type them without you having to go, "Oh, gee, typing three letters will be easier than typing four letters, so I'll leave out that "h"?"

But hey, as long as society and technology are changing at break-neck speed, we may as well change our written language beyond recognition as well, so people completely lose connection with their past culture.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2009, 9:07 pm

I find some shortcuts like "wat" annoying but also find a lot of them are very useful like "nvm" (nevermind). And I don't care much for general spelling since I know a lot of people online aren't native English speakers (like myself).

thiscoldfloor
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Sep 2009, 9:42 pm

I find them endlessly annoying. I will stop communicating with people who type like this.

As far as using "wat" instead of "what", I am curious to find out what their right hand is really doing, since they couldn't be bothered to make the effort to type out the letter "h".

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 10:32 pm

y34H m4n! 1 h4t3 TH@ TOo! 1t 1z L1K3 Th3z3 k1DZ N3v3r w3Nt TO 5CHOOL, joO KNow? Th3y ou9hT TO 83 53nt 84cK To Ph1R5T 9R4D3 4nD r3-l34rn To 5p3lL, M4N! JOO KnOw Wh@ 1 m34N?

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 10:52 pm

digger1 wrote:
anyone else hate the way people spell on the internet?

So far the only spelling I've seen is o-n--t-h-e--i-n-t-e-r-n-e-t.
:wink:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 11:16 pm

Things like Dilbert's "JOO KnOw Wh@ 1 m34N?" only bother me when it seems like people expect me 2 do it 2, but their lingo is their lingo.

The things that bug me are like when my mother died and someone handling a distribution of funds wrote to the family, "Please except our condolences."

I did.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 2:12 am

:evil: :evil: :evil:
okay, I have multiple disabilities, learning disabilities that affect my ability to spell. Pretty much since I cant spell I use assistive software to type out my messages, but still I get words spelled wrong or get words that sound the same but have a different meaning then the word I wanted. For the most part, my messages are readable.
People make mistakes when they type, we are only human. Sorry I am not perfect like the people who can spell and throw shots at the people that cant, like they are some perfect 'super intelligent' person.
If it makes you feel better to point out spelling errors to people and complain about it, if it makes you feel smart, then that is YOUR problem, if you need to do that.

Most of the people comes to WP because they have a disability that they deal with, now I would find it rather sad if some one with aspergers/autism put down another person because of there disability or problem. Sometimes simply using 'spell check' is not a solution.

I take this personal, as it is something I struggle with, and when people start making jokes and complaining, it makes me feel like I am less of a person or something, so I wish people would stop being ignorant to people who might have poor spelling skills, as there might be more going on then your aware of

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 2:16 am

I have noticed that, 90% of them can't spell correct, It is disguisting.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 5:45 am

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I have noticed that, 90% of them can't spell correct ...

Uh, the word there would be "correctly"!

You are absolutely correct, RoadRacer, and your honest effort and achievement are commendable where some folks seem to not even really try.

(Not talking about you there, bdhkhsfgk!)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 10:11 am

*ahem*

This is a support site; while the original intent appears to be looking at the sort of 'shorthand' that has developed amongst the online community over the past 30 years, whether for convenience or novelty, there are some comments that border on a more general insult towards those who face challenges in spelling (due to a number of causes) according to shared standards. I would ask that those responding take a moment to be specific in their comments, and be aware that insulting others is against site policy.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 10:15 am

that was not my intent.

Simply put, the English language as we know it, is endangered because of, in large part, teh internets.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 10:28 am

The OP doesn't mean people who actually have problems spelling. This appears to be in reference to what is commonly referred to as "text-talk", and other absurd ways of spelling that are considered "cool" writing styles.

I'm OK with things like "LOL" because they are just abbreviations (it kind of annoys me when people don't put "LOL" in capital letters, though, but if someone else does it I tend to write "lol" while I am talking to them. Technically it should be in capitals because the letters stand for something, "Laugh Out Loud"). But when people write things like "b4" and "2nite" it's very annoying.

Someone once typed "KTHNXBAI" ("OK, thanks, bye", apparently) to me. :roll: I was thinking, what in the hell was THAT?

y es como un semestre"

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 10:30 am

strangely, I get a kick out of the lolcats speak. :lol:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 1:30 pm

kin I haz cheezburger?..;)

hopefully, they can differentiate between L33T-speak (what's elite about it?...;) and using normal spelling IRL...;)

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 4:09 pm

I don't really mind it, but some can be pointless, "numb3rs", for example, is kinda pointless because the 3 does not shorten the word. However, I'm not too good with "internet spelling."

SpongeBobRocksMao!