How socially inappropriate is this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How socially inappropriate is my Blog Posting about the wishlist?
OMFG! Very, very inappropriate, young lady! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ehh, a forgivable social faux pas. 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Nothing wrong with it. 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Wonderful and very helpful! It is actually quite appropriate! 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
Don't know, don't care. Let me see the results! 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 20

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 5:18 pm

For years of recieving Christmas gifts that I couldn't care less about, I've decided to make a big-ass online wishlist, as well as supplimenting that with a more general Likes/Dislikes list, posted on both of my blogs so that everyone who knows me can have a good long look.

Here is a link for you to read it and answer the poll above. :lol:

http://simoneshomebaked.blogspot.com/20 ... itney.html

Back for my birthday, I also posted my Likes/Dislikes, and got a great response, as well as improving the quality of the gifts I recieved. Although a couple of people did find the list to be inappropriate.

Please note, no matter how socially inappropriate it is, I am keeping the blog posting up. It's just so damn helpful for everyone! :D

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 5:36 pm

there's no poll option for how i feel.

i would say "mildly inappropriate, but largely hilarious though maybe only to me" :lol:

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Oct 2009, 5:40 pm

Not inappropriate at all. Very good idea. I made a Christmas list once after receiving two ugly blouses. When I opened the first, I was struck by how ugly it was and knew I would never wear it, but managed to hide my displeasure. Then I opened the second and couldn't believe it was identical to the first but a different color. I couldn't control the look of shock and disappointment. Like it's not bad enough that I got one ugly blouse, but another one just like it, adding insult to injury. I struggled to say "Thank you" but the words were hard to get out of my mouth. So the next year I made a list and hung it on the refrigerator. It was a waste of time. I didn't get one thing on the list. :roll:

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 5:41 pm

I have mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, you should be happy people are giving you anything at all. On the other, what difference does it make if it's something you don't like?

Put me down as a "Sorta".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 5:41 pm

I do this all the time.

It's just part of my bigger penchant for making lists.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2009, 6:21 pm

My gut reaction was that it is HUGELY innapropriate, but I voted for the forgivable faux pas and hope that you can understand why:

Gift giving is essentially a conversation with props. You wouldn't tell someone else what to say to you; how to say it, when and in what quantity or with how much conviction, would you?

A gift is one persons' (nonverbal) statement about how they feel about you and their relationship with you. By telling them what gift to give, you are essentially telling them how they should feel about you.

Also, a gift is a reflection of the giver, their tastes and their style. Why on earth would you want to stiffle their "voice" in your relationship with them?

OK- I take it back: Making a list (like a wedding registry) of gifts that you think are appropriate for you is VERY innapropriate. Plain and simple. That, and it's selfish. I hope that someday you understand what a "gift" really, really is.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 6:22 pm

Since I don't know where I will be after I graduate, I only included gift cards from nationwide chains.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 6:48 pm

Inappropos topic

My kids give me lists of what they want for gifts all the time.

If it is reasonable, I will oblige. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 7:02 pm

As long as I don't get a Montreal Expos jersey, Somber String, a set of jacks with no ball, or a Slunky, I'm happy.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 8:07 pm

WritersBlock wrote:
Gift giving is essentially a conversation with props. You wouldn't tell someone else what to say to you; how to say it, when and in what quantity or with how much conviction, would you?

A gift is one persons' (nonverbal) statement about how they feel about you and their relationship with you. By telling them what gift to give, you are essentially telling them how they should feel about you.

Also, a gift is a reflection of the giver, their tastes and their style. Why on earth would you want to stiffle their "voice" in your relationship with them?

Hmmm, I never really thought about it that way.

I always considered gifts as "Something you give a person s/he would prefer." Rather, a way to show that person that you know his/her interests and what s/he likes.

I would never give a macho shorts freak manly man an eyeshadow palette, for example, just because it is a reflection of my tastes and style. I would give that person something that is relevant to his own interests, for example, an autographed football from his favorite team. To me, that demonstrates that I know that person's interest and I care to do my research to get that person what he may like.

Is it stifling my "voice" in my relationship with the manly-man by giving him a football?

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2009, 8:43 pm

sartresue wrote:

My kids give me lists of what they want for gifts all the time.

Says it all really, it's a thing that kids do. They get away with it because people forgive childish selfishness, in children. It's a bit like telling everyone who's ever bought you a present that their presents were s**t lol the men in your family will probably really appreciate it though.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 9:05 pm

I have no idea whether or not it's generally considered socially appropriate, but I'd like it if more people did it. Selecting gifts can be difficult.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

18 Oct 2009, 9:24 pm

I see nothing wrong with it at all. In fact I find it disrespectful to buy someone something that wasn't on their wishlist. Cash is fine if you couldn't afford anything they had on their list. People can have expensive items on there that is beyond your budget. I don't want anything really this year because I don't need anymore games or DVDs or clothes or CDs. Candy is fine and chocolates and socks, disposbale diapers, AB clothes, health food.

In fact I should make online wishlists but I don't because no one in my family shops online or even goes online to look what I have on there so why bother?

Hey are you on youtube? I think you have added me.

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2009, 9:38 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
I would never give a macho shorts freak manly man an eyeshadow palette, for example, just because it is a reflection of my tastes and style. I would give that person something that is relevant to his own interests, for example, an autographed football from his favorite team. To me, that demonstrates that I know that person's interest and I care to do my research to get that person what he may like.

Is it stifling my "voice" in my relationship with the manly-man by giving him a football?

I also mentioned that a gift can reflect how one feels about the relationship with the person they are buying it for, not that one bothered to pay attention enough to anothers' sports team of interest (although that is reasonably thoughtful).

Again, a gift is a statement. If you feel that people aren't making the correct "statement" to you and about you then by all means tell them what to get you.
I was raised to appreciate a gift for the thought, time and consideration without considering the object itself.
If anyone in my family posted a list like yours you can bet they'd get nothing. And I would NEVER buy anything for anyone who thought they had to tell me what to get them. It's plain rude.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 10:22 pm

I wish everyone would do that. I hate having to go and figure out what to get someone then actually have to go out and get it... it is stressful to me. Why go through that to end up getting them something they do not want? Just tell me what you want and simplify my life and know you'll get something you like is what I figure. I am also notorious for telling people what I want. I do not want them wasting money on things I will never use or enjoy. It makes no sense to me. I want people to be happy with what I give them, why wouldn't they want the same for me?

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 11:57 am

A while back my cousin and his fiancé invited me and my wife to a homecoming party. On the invitation they had the time the party would start and also the time that the party would end. Do you think that was appropriate or inappropriate?