Texting and Tweeting and the need to be in constant touch...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 1:53 pm

I am very technically un-savvy. I use my computer as a glorified typewriter (I know the very basics of Word), I can't file manage and I use the internet to send/receive e-mails, search for information and for use on this site.

I have never "tweeted"/used Twitter. I have sent one text message in my entire life (a response to a text from my sister, my husband had to help me do this). I have a cell phone that I use for emergencies, for work (I work on call) and for keeping in touch with my son's professionals).

I have been reading about some of the perils of social networking and new media technologies. Some of the issues are of privacy (once something is on the internet - it is "in the cloud" and there is no way to re-tract it). Also, there is issues of libel, as once something is put in writing (even as a tweet) it is "in the cloud" and it is possible to be sue or be sued for libel (if what is said is untrue or otherwise illegal - such as insider trading information).

What's more - I worry about being in a community that is so connected by texting/tweeting that we forget that it is nice to have face-to-face acquaintance with our neighbours and those people around us. I have actually walked into places where everyone is on their cell phone (talking or texting) or on their laptop and very engrossed in whatever they are doing. How does one start a conversation with anyone??

Anyways, I know that a lot of people here are very into technical stuff. What are your thoughts?

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 3:42 pm

I don't see the usefulness of any of that. I use the same thing I've used since early 90s: e-mail. Delivery is pretty much instantaneous, and thanks to data connectivity on cell phones I can get my e-mail wirelessly wherever I am.

SMS is obsolete, not to mention a money grab by the carriers. It was relevant back in the days of first generation GSM networks when carrying text over cell networks was a big challenge. But nowadays everything is transported over TCP/IP anyway.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 4:46 pm

I'm against it. It drives people crazy.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 6:17 pm

I worry that if I can't be online at the same time someone else is, then that person will take it as a sign of disinterest, when it was likely because I was really tired or busy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 7:08 pm

If I want to share the boring details of my life, I'll just come here...;)

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 7:25 pm

Dilbert wrote:
I don't see the usefulness of any of that. I use the same thing I've used since early 90s: e-mail. Delivery is pretty much instantaneous, and thanks to data connectivity on cell phones I can get my e-mail wirelessly wherever I am.

SMS is obsolete, not to mention a money grab by the carriers. It was relevant back in the days of first generation GSM networks when carrying text over cell networks was a big challenge. But nowadays everything is transported over TCP/IP anyway.

SMS is obsolete? where you are maybe.

in europe sms is still big, and virtually free, i use it for almost all local communication, cus i hate phoning.
i sms the welfare employees, i sms friends when i need to, family dinner invites are through sms.
in my offline life sms is my absolutely most used communication tool.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 5:50 am

I don't even like telephones!! !

Why? Because it gives people the ability to intrude into your personal space at any time. You are having a quiet dinner, having a nap or making love and RING RING, some idiot wants your time, perhaps to sell you something.

That is why I like email. It is instant delivery but you can read and reply in your own good time.

As for texting, what is the point? If I need to talk to my friend Bill then I will call him. If he is busy or doesn't want to receive calls then I will leave a voice message and he can get back to me when it suits him.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 4:33 pm

I use SMS sometimes, usually when it's inpractical to phone, or for information, so it doesn't need to written down at the other end.
Although I run a twitter account for a group I'm invovled in, I don't hold one personally.

I don't need to qualify my own existence by continuous updates of what I'm doing.