Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AukidsMag
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2010, 9:42 am

Hi
I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who had an obsession in something when they were younger which they managed to use productively in their adult life - something that lead to a successful career.

I write a magazine called AuKids which is all about positivity and acceptance in the UK and we are really interested in writing an article "How I made a career out of an obsession" or something like that.

Would love to hear your thoughts and success stories!!

Thank you

Tori

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 9:45 am

When I was about 10, I got the Harry Potter books for my birthday. Up until then, I really hadn't read any literature (it was all fact books and maths stuff) It inspired me to start writing my very first proper stories. I was obsessed with HP for a good three or four years, during which time I grew out of maths and started to be more interested in English.

Now I'm a poet and writer who's won several minor awards at school level, and am aiming to be published before I graduate.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

AukidsMag
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2010, 9:50 am

Wow that's awesome!!
Is there anywhere I can read some of your stuff? Will be in touch about the article if that's OK?

Tori

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 10:30 am

Carnaby Street, Swinging London and the music that The Kinks recorded between 1964 and 1984.

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 13 Jan 2010, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2010, 4:13 am

I discovered radio when I was in my single digits. I have been fascinated by it ever since. When my voice changed, it went deep baritone, and suddenly, I had the voice to do radio. I started to make friends with disc jockeys on the phone, so that they would eventually allow me to come to the station and hang out and watch them work. I learned by watching, and they would let me take a stack of records to the production studio and practice. Some years later, that led to a job as productions manager at a little station.

Life took many twists and turns, during which I didn't work in radio. But now I've been the staff announcer on three stations owned by the same company for the last eight years, and I make commercials (promos) and assemble programs on the computer. The day of the DJ has come and gone, but I get to do what I know best in a bit of a different capacity. My voice is on the radio, and that's pretty much what I've always wanted.