Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mattc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2010, 8:45 am

Hi all

Sites like Facebook completely baffle me I don't understand what they are for, I go on a few chat sites and I can understand them because you actively chat in real time (sort of). And of coarse the point to this site is more than obvious, but I don't understand what you do on sites like Facebook, I went on a site called Fubar last night I signed up uploaded a picture and that was it there wasn't much else to do. I apparently got 4 friends but I hadn't even chatted to these people, why are they classed as my friends. Am i right in thinking all you do on these sites is send out requests for friends and set up a page about yourself, I'm not criticizing the people that go on these sites if that's what they want to do then fine whatever it's just that i really don't understand it.
How can one person have 30,000 friends, is it just to make people feel better about themselves or is it the case that they just looked at picture and found them attractive, so there for they want them on their list. If these people met each other in real life the chances are they wouldn't even like each other so what's the point in calling them friend if they haven't even met in real life?
Hope I don't come across as a grumpy spoil sport I only write this because i haven't got a clue about these sites and don't understand them or there purpose :?

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 9:45 am

Hi..

I only joined facebook recently and I used to feel the very same way. But it is very handy for people to get in touch with you from your primary school days, secondary school days and old work placements or people you have not seen for years and and may have lost contact with.

I also know people who use it as a networking site to promote clubs, businesses etc. It has a chat function ( though pretty poor) and also reminds you when everyone's birthday is. You can add all family members to it and find out what people are up to in their day to day lives.

Sometimes people add you if you don't know them, but you can always refuse!
It does get kind of addictive after a while....well at least it is to me. :D

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 10:35 am

misswoofalot wrote:
Hi..
But it is very handy for people to get in touch with you from your primary school days, secondary school days and old work placements or people you have not seen for years and and may have lost contact with.

Doesn't quite work for me. I've searched for plenty of people from my past and none of them have an account, not even a MySpace one. Weird. Sometimes I find someone that looks like a given person but turns out it isn't.

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2010, 10:09 pm

i joined facebook and felt pretty much as you did. later, my kids were on there and indeed, it's a simple, surefire way to send them something and get a reply. eventually i also found some ppl from my past (which is ok but no big deal to me), and i made a couple friends. i've looked into apps and enjoy posting music and links on there, but i've never fallen in love with the site. still, it's convenient if you have people you want to keep in contact with but don't see or don't see much.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:13 am

I use Facebook to keep in touch with my family members and some friends that I met through my mom. I even found one of my old therapists on there!

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:18 am

I remember rejoining Facebook after leaving it for a long time, because there are lots of events published there that happen in my area, particularly lectures. I've left it permanently now because of the drama. It's just not worth it.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.