Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/dork-yearbook

This bit¢h uses "geek", "nerd", and "dork" to mean the same thing. Why do people do this to us geeks and nerds???

Geek: Someone with a passion for technology

Nerd: Someone with a passion for academic learning

Dork: Someone who is generally awkward

How would she like it if I directed her to a website called "Asian Blogs" (because she appears to be Asian) and it had a bunch of clips from Monty Python's Flying Circus? :P

Nerd culture indeed. Geek ≠ Nerd ≠ Dork.

And geek/nerd has nothing to do with fashion.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 11:26 pm

I find that very appalling. That woman has no life.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 11:35 pm

I hope those people photographed gave their consent for her to post their pictures online in such a manner; otherwise I sense a lawsuit for defamation of character. :roll:

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 4:19 am

"Geek" and "nerd" are so heavily varied in colloquial meaning as to be indistinguishable from eachother on a more global level. "Dork", however, is something else.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 4:48 am

Nerd looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

The year is still young.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 2:44 pm

Sorry, LordoftheMonkeys, but I think your definitions are arbitrary. "Geek" can certainly be applied in non-technical situations (e.g. "theatre geeks," "music geeks," "art geeks," etc.) and "nerd" can most certainly apply to people with of particular academic distinction.

"Geek" is, by far, the older word. The first OED reference to, "nerd," is a 1951 newspaper article, though there is an earlier Dr. Seuss reference (which does not have the current connotation). Geek, on the other hand, has relevant references cited in the OED going back to the 19th century.

And before you pooh-pooh the fashion connection, think about how much geek chic there is out there, and just how much money outfits like Cafe Press are taking in from it!

;)

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 6:30 pm

hmmm... curious...

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2010, 3:08 am

thats actually not the right definition either. In my book, a geek is someone with a particular interest in one topic (eg a star wars geek) a nerd is an academics geek and a dork is is mostly a geek with poor body hygiene.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 3:45 am

morrison wrote:
thats actually not the right definition either. In my book, a geek is someone with a particular interest in one topic (eg a star wars geek) a nerd is an academics geek and a dork is is mostly a geek with poor body hygiene.

I always thought a geek was more about as you say, someone with an interest, nerds were about academics and dorks were those who are awkward, have bad hygiene and have no real academic strengths either.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 7:35 am

visagrunt wrote:
Sorry, LordoftheMonkeys, but I think your definitions are arbitrary. "Geek" can certainly be applied in non-technical situations (e.g. "theatre geeks," "music geeks," "art geeks," etc.) and "nerd" can most certainly apply to people with of particular academic distinction.

"Geek" is, by far, the older word. The first OED reference to, "nerd," is a 1951 newspaper article, though there is an earlier Dr. Seuss reference (which does not have the current connotation). Geek, on the other hand, has relevant references cited in the OED going back to the 19th century.

And before you pooh-pooh the fashion connection, think about how much geek chic there is out there, and just how much money outfits like Cafe Press are taking in from it!

;)

The word "geek" at one time mean a side show freak, like the bearded lady.

ruveyn

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 7:59 am

ruveyn wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

;)

ruveyn

Just to be a bit more specific, a geek is the guy who bites the heads off of chickens in a carnival act. I think carnival geeks ought to stand up and take back their name! :lol:

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 9:47 am

jagatai wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

;)

ruveyn

Just to be a bit more specific, a geek is the guy who bites the heads off of chickens in a carnival act. I think carnival geeks ought to stand up and take back their name! :lol:

Yuk! Now that is what I call weird. :)

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 2:54 pm

Notice how she basically used all three terms at once. Hilarious, I really chuckled too.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 8:18 pm

Geeks wish they could own phasers like in star trek. Nerds get bored and actually make them.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2010, 8:55 am

Asmodeus wrote:
Geeks wish they could own phasers like in star trek. Nerds get bored and actually make them.

It's true! :lol: