Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 1:14 am

I am wondering how many can do this, I am not super flexable, but I am wondering how many can do the first two
(and feel free to show any other things you can do)

1. can you touch your fingers together around your opposite wrist, and do they overlap?
(me showing a example)

2. when you clench your thumb in a fist, does your thumb go past your pinky finger?
(example)

I am wondering how many can do both of the above two?

I am not extremely flexable, but have loose joints (and some issues with muscle tone)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 1:41 am

Wow! That's awesome! 8)

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 2:41 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Wow! That's awesome! 8)

I take it your answer is no then? :lol:

The first two are actually tests used to test for certain genetic disorders. This alone dosent mean anything (other then you got long fingers and loose joints), but together with other tests could be a sign of a genetic disorder.
That is why I am wondering how common it is to be able to do that in general

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 2:57 am

i can not do those things.
is the genetic disorder marfan syndrome?

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 3:48 am

I could do more than this in younger days. These things are still possible. However, isn't reaching around the wrist more a matter of having thin wrists than of being flexible?

Hm, my fingernail gets in the way of pressing my ringfinger against the relevant wrist. May soon be time to shorten it a bit.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Last edited by PLA on 03 Mar 2010, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 3:49 am

Looks like a possibly useful genetic adaption rather than a "disorder". Do you play a musical instrument or make stuff?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 4:21 am

I thought everyone can do that and I thought the reaosn why I can put my fingers around my wrist is because it's thin enough for me to do it.

I don't see that as a condition.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 4:28 am

Yeah. My wrist is thicker, so I can just touch my middle finger to my thumb.

My palm is also a lot bigger in comparison to my thumb, so it's not going to stick out.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 4:32 am

1. Yes.

2. Not normally, but if I change the angle of my thumb it does stick out past my little finger.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 5:05 am

I NEVER said this was a disorder or condition, or anything like that, I was just wondering if people could do that, thats all.

There is a good chance that I have a genetic disorder, but not simply because of the hand things, but the hand thing along with around 30 other symptoms/features.

I was just wondering if people could do that, with there wrist and thumb. I imagine a majority of people can do those two things.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 5:19 am

b9 wrote:

do you know someone with marfans? It is a pretty rare disorder

I do fit the criteria for marfans, but it is more likely a different disorder, becase I have more stuff going on then marfans could explain.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 5:29 am

I can do it all, first with middle finger. But it doesn't matter, I have not good precision in my hands. Sewing or more complicated using scissors are quite difficult for me. And I don't feel good, I want do sth tender but I may destroy. I'm good only in knocking rhythm, one hand, two or with legs - I can synchronize. But we all know that Aspies are good automats ;)

I don't have Marfan's and don't know about any disorders.
My hands are just big (lenght 19 cm) and fingers long.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Last edited by Valoyossa on 03 Mar 2010, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 5:47 am

I can do all 4 things, although my thumb only sticks out if I make the fist as in the picture, with my index and middle finger on the thumb joint. Naturally, only my index rests there and my thumb does not protrude. On a side note, the second and third toe on each of my feet are webbed -- this can indicate a mental development disorder, which I do not have. I guess what I'm getting at is don't assume that if you (in general) can do the things OP posted, you have some sort of disorder -- it might mean nothing. (I only know this about my feet because a friend of my godmother took photographs of my feet when I was about 12. She wanted an example of "twin toes" on a child with regular mental development -- she is a geneticist.)

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 5:50 am

1. Yes, and they overlap (my wrist is very small)
2. No, my thumb does not appear to be long enough

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 5:52 am

roadracer wrote:
b9 wrote:

do you know someone with marfans? It is a pretty rare disorder

I do fit the criteria for marfans, but it is more likely a different disorder, because I have more stuff going on then marfans could explain.

no i do not know anyone with it. i was interested for a few weeks in connective tissue disorders after reading about abraham lincoln.

marfans is associated with cysts and other aberrations of the arachnoid membrane, and it's symptoms include arachnodactyly (long thin fingers and toes(spider like)) and double jointedness. it is also characterized by pectus excavatum and a high palate resulting in a narrow bite. the teeth are usually crowded in the mouth and also there is a serious risk of aortic dissection.
marfan syndrome usually limits the life expectancy to 40-50 years.

there are many other things i can say about it but i guess i am being superfluous as you do not have it, and also you would know about it anyway.
apparently tutankhamun had it.

i just thought that the condition you may be referring to was marfans. sorry.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 6:10 am

Rose_in_Winter wrote:
I guess what I'm getting at is don't assume that if you (in general) can do the things OP posted, you have some sort of disorder -- it might mean nothing.

yes, thats why I said that it dosent mean anything if you can do that.
I wonder though, that because it is something that is so common, that people can do, that do not have any sort of condition that causes it, it makes me wonder why a doctor would look at something like this?
The reality is that they look at a whole bunch of things, measure all parts of your body and compare them, and do different scans, etc. It makes me wonder why the two hand tests in diagnostic criteria though :shrug: