Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:40 pm

In a story I'm writing, Emily, the protagonist takes medication for behaviorial issues. What sort of medication was available then?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm

This reading may help. Scroll down to where it says Twentieth Century Biological Therapies. I hope this helps. :)

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/23758914/Abnormal-Behavior-in

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 11:37 pm

I wish you luck, with your story. :)

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 11:42 pm

I think they gave Opium and Laudanum for just about everything back then.

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2010, 1:48 am

I think almost everything was still legal then - mescaline, amphetamine, cannabis, cocaine, morphine.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 2:46 am

they gave cocaine to people for just about everything. They considered it the wonder drug to treat anything, from a tooth ache, depression, hang nails, just about anything. If your child had a stomach ache, you gave them some cocaine. If a person was thought to be crazy, they gave them cocaine. This is the era when CocaCola was a med, and had cocaine in it!
As you can imagine, cocaine addiction became such a big problem, that in the 1920s there was a cocaine prohibition, then eventually they made it totally illegal.
In the time period of 1907, they probably would have shot the person up with it if they considered the person to be "crazy". A kid with "behaviorial issues" wouldnt have gotten meds, but instead would have just got beatings from there parents. Back then, a beating from a belt was a okay punishment, and wasnt seen as anything wrong. If it was a adult with "behaviorial issues", there wasnt any med for them ether, they would be thrown in jail for acting out of line. There wasnt such thing as autism back then, so if you had any autism symptoms, you were considered "crazy", and thrown into a "insane asylum", were you would spend the rest of your life (very rarly did they ever let people out)

well, thats probably more then you asked, history of mental health is one of my interests :lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:07 am

leeches

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 7:29 am

roadracer wrote:
they gave cocaine to people for just about everything. They considered it the wonder drug to treat anything, from a tooth ache, depression, hang nails, just about anything. If your child had a stomach ache, you gave them some cocaine. If a person was thought to be crazy, they gave them cocaine. This is the era when CocaCola was a med, and had cocaine in it!
As you can imagine, cocaine addiction became such a big problem, that in the 1920s there was a cocaine prohibition, then eventually they made it totally illegal.
In the time period of 1907, they probably would have shot the person up with it if they considered the person to be "crazy". A kid with "behaviorial issues" wouldnt have gotten meds, but instead would have just got beatings from there parents. Back then, a beating from a belt was a okay punishment, and wasnt seen as anything wrong. If it was a adult with "behaviorial issues", there wasnt any med for them ether, they would be thrown in jail for acting out of line. There wasnt such thing as autism back then, so if you had any autism symptoms, you were considered "crazy", and thrown into a "insane asylum", were you would spend the rest of your life (very rarly did they ever let people out)

well, thats probably more then you asked, history of mental health is one of my interests :lol:

I could have sworn that they were experimenting with actual pills. The protagonists adopted father is a psychiatric doctor. I don't think wealthy children were beaten.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 9:20 am

i don't know if they were still using "blue mass" [mercury] in 1907, but in the last decades of the 1800s this blue pill was recommended as a remedy for such widely varied complaints as tuberculosis, constipation, toothache, parasitic infestations, and the pains of childbirth. Abe Lincoln was scripted the pills by his doc for his "melancholy" but it made him "cross" and he had to stop taking them.

Blue Mass

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:46 pm

Dont forget about good ole snake oil and moonshine! You know Granny's (Bev Hillbillies) jug with "XXX" on it? A little shine would fix you up! LOL I don't think that would fit in with your rich English people though.
Tres Equis! :drunken:

Ackerman: Laudanum, as I stated already is a good choice:
Laudanum wiki

Last edited by pumibel on 22 Mar 2010, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:48 pm

pumibel wrote:
Dont forget about good ole snake oil and moonshine! You know Granny's (Bev Hillbillies) jug with "XXX" on it? A little shine would fix you up! LOL I don't think that would fit in with your rich English people though.
Tres Equis! :drunken:

Ackerman: Lauanum, as I stated already is a good choice:
Laudanum wiki

Wait, this is about modern stuff in the Edwardian era....

One Word:

Adderall.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:50 pm

So anachronistic then? Sounds good, but weren't you asking about stuff from early 20th Century?

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:53 pm

pumibel wrote:
So anachronistic then? Sounds good, but weren't you asking about stuff from early 20th Century?

Yes I was, but as stated, Emily's adopted father is a psychiatric doctor, so he would probably experiment different drugs on her. You should read my story:

Story

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 10:02 pm

I read it- it is a very good start! Is Emily afraid of growing up or is she an autistic or ADD type who just has different needs and rate of emotional maturity? It sounds like she is being made to mature too fast, at least too fast for her.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 10:33 pm

pumibel wrote:
I read it- it is a very good start! Is Emily afraid of growing up or is she an autistic or ADD type who just has different needs and rate of emotional maturity? It sounds like she is being made to mature too fast, at least too fast for her.

Bingo. Her adoptive mother is very strict, at least in the sense that she must behave like an adult. You'll notice I don't do Jack stories, especially Jack lives stories.