Do you think Anne Wilkes from Misery could be an aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Diamond_Jackson
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2010, 11:41 pm

I think Anne Wilkes from Stephen King's Misery (novel and movie) is an aspie, because she has meltdowns, yells and throws things, is violent, and is extremely obsessed with Paul Sheldon and his Misery book series. If you think I'm a fool, then you are sadly mistaken, as Stephen King had written stories containing autistic characters before Misery. I mean, there are aspies out there who are violent and kills people. Sometimes, I wonder if all murderers and serial killers are aspies? They all got that same look. Maybe Kathy Bates who played Anne Wilkes in the movie adaption of Misery is an aspie too, because she has that look about her, and it's either great acting, or she is an aspie. Now I like that, an aspie who plays an aspie in a movie. :D

So who else thinks Anne Wilkes was intended to be an aspie character?

Here is the Wikipedia article of the Misery novel for the uninitiated: (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Paul Sheldon, the author of a best-selling series of Victorian-era romance novels surrounding the heroine character Misery Chastain, has just finished the manuscript of his new crime novel, Fast Cars, while staying at the Hotel Boulderado in Colorado; since 1974, he has completed the first draft of every one of his novels in the same hotel room. With his latest project finished, he has an alcohol-induced impulse to drive to Los Angeles rather than fly back home to New York City. However, Sheldon finds himself caught in a blinding snowstorm and wrecks his car, falling unconscious.

Paul is rescued from the car wreck by Annie Wilkes, a former nurse who lives nearby. She takes him to her own home rather than a hospital, putting him in a spare bedroom. Using her acquired skills, food and supplies, and painkillers, Annie slowly nurses Paul back to health. She proclaims herself as Paul's "number one fan", being an avid reader of the Misery series. When she reads the Fast Cars manuscript, she argues with Paul on its violent content and coarse language, punishing him by withholding his medication and forcing him to drink soap water.

It is around this time that the latest Misery book hits the shelves. Unaware that this is also the final Misery book, Annie – whose life revolves around the character – buys her reserved copy. Upon reading the book, and learning of the main character's death, she flies into a rage. She leaves Paul alone in the house for over two days, stating that she may do something "unwise" if she stays. During this time, Paul suffers from hunger, thirst, extreme pain and withdrawal from the painkillers. By the time Annie returns, he is close to death. Upon Annie's return, she forces him to burn the Fast Cars manuscript and write a new Misery book, one that will bring her back from the dead.

After biding his time, Paul manages to escape his room while Annie is on an errand, touring the house in search of more painkillers. He comes across a scrapbook full of newspaper clippings from Annie's life, all of which suggest that Annie is a serial killer who murdered her own father, her college roommate, and numerous patients in several states. He also finds a magazine clipping about his status as a missing person. Annie realizes that Paul had been out of his room, punishing him by cutting off his foot and cauterizing it with a blowtorch.

A Colorado state trooper eventually arrives at Annie’s house, searching for Paul. Realizing a chance for escape, Paul alerts the officer by throwing an ashtray through the window. However, Annie runs over the trooper with a riding lawnmower, gruesomely killing him. She temporarily hides Paul in the basement while she departs, meaning to dispose of the trooper's body and his police cruiser. When Annie returns, she and Paul argue about the condition of the typewriter given to him, angering Annie to the point of amputating Paul's thumb.

Paul finally finishes the new Misery book. As a celebration, he asks Annie for a cigarette and a match, which he uses the to light his manuscript on fire. As a stunned Annie attempts to rescue the manuscript, Paul seizes the opportunity to throw the typewriter at her, knocking her down. He then stuffs sever about this boy and the skunk he had with him in a shopping cart.
al handfuls of burning paper down her throat, seemingly killing her. Crippled and exhausted, he crawls to the bathroom and loads himself on more painkillers.

The police soon arrive in search of their missing colleague, and find Paul alone in the house with no sign of Annie. They later find Annie's body in the barn, with one hand wrapped around the handle of a chainsaw. Ironically, it was not Paul or the burning pages that killed Annie, but a skull injury sustained when she hit her head on the mantlepiece, after tripping on Paul's typewriter. In addition, the papers that Paul burned were not the actual manuscript for the Misery book, but rather blank sheets with the book's title on the front page, a ruse that fooled Annie.

Returning home to New York, Paul submits the new Misery novel to his publisher, who tells him that it will become his greatest bestseller. However, the ordeal is far from over for Paul: he suffers nightmares about Annie, and continues his withdrawal from painkillers. He has also become an alcoholic with writer's block. Eventually, after a random encounter with a child in the street, he has the same spark that inspired him to write Fast Cars. He begins typing about this boy and the skunk he had with him in a shopping cart.[/quote]

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2010, 7:29 am

I've watched the movie and I thought it was awesome, should probably read the book though. I think people would've made the connection if the majority of murderers had aspergers.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:07 am

I personally just think she's psychopathic (I use that word non-clinically), not an aspie ..

A Thursday child ..

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:03 am

mysassyself wrote:
I personally just think she's psychopathic (I use that word non-clinically), not an aspie ..

That's what I'm thinking. She has more of the traits of a psychopath.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:26 pm

I'm more of the opinion that she's just your common or garden loon :P

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 8:08 pm

I hope not; the last thing we need is a stereotype that we go around abducting people and smashing people's ankles with mallets. :roll:

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 8:15 pm

I think she's just plain crazy.