Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong???

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 8:07 pm

Yesterday I went into a store that has unbelievably stupid and offensive T-shirts that glorify alcoholism, loveless sex, and smoking weed. I mostly just have a small laugh at how ugly and disgusting the shirts are and what kind of people would actually wear them, but then I saw some shirts for sale that said: "My other house is a Meth Lab." ........................................................
I was shocked. I could not believe they would sell this in a store. A t-shirt that says it's "cool" to make what is possibly most evil, horrible drug ever created. A drug that turns people into walking corpses, with scabs and lesions all over their skeletal bodies, in only a few moths. AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS THIS IS SICK, IMMORAL AND COMPLETELY WRONG???
I wanted to complain to the young women working in the store but I was sure they'd say something stupid like "If you don't like it then don't shop here." I hate drugs and alcohol but I live in a world that glorifies their use constantly. I hate having to take medication and I'm afraid to even touch Asprin or Tylonel. For some unfathomable reason I fail to see the joy of sickening your brain and body with substances and ruining your life and the lives of others. Am I the only one? Does this really make ME the "loser"???

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 8:26 pm

You're not the only one. Unfortunately, as long as something will sell for a reasonable profit to a sizeable audience, it will be created and sold.

I'm not fond of those kinds of shirts either. I once had a very close friend completely deteriorate and essentially die as a person due to the introduction of drugs into his life. Same with alcohol. I lost my biological father to its influence. He was once a great man, loads of potential in the area of culinary arts, but alcoholism reduced him to an abusive and dangerous person who was depressed beyond measure. As a result it forced my parents' divorce when I was four because my Mom couldn't take the abuse anymore.

I'm not saying drugs and alcohol are the root of all evil or that they should be deleted from existence but I am saying that people shouldn't treat it like it's not a potentially deadly thing by reducing it to some light-hearted T-shirt theme mass produced to make a profit.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

When the shirt is stupid, you can bet the person wearing it is stupid. I for one like shirts like this. The reason why is that it lets me know to avoid people from hundreds of feet away.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 8:51 pm

Holy s**t, you would hate my dark sense of humor.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

03 Aug 2011, 9:03 pm

Well, I'm in a bad mood now. :|

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

I also don't like those types of shirts and I find it even more crude that people would actually by such shirts. Those things are nothing to joke about.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

Jonsi wrote:
I'm not fond of those kinds of shirts either. I once had a very close friend completely deteriorate and essentially die as a person due to the introduction of drugs into his life. Same with alcohol. I lost my biological father to its influence. He was once a great man, loads of potential in the area of culinary arts, but alcoholism reduced him to an abusive and dangerous person who was depressed beyond measure. As a result it forced my parents' divorce when I was four because my Mom couldn't take the abuse anymore.

That's almost exactly like my dad, even the culinary arts part. 8O

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm

I understand how you feel about this. I guess I could see why a store might sell a shirt like that because someone would buy it, stores are in the business of making money. What I don't understand is who would ever want to buy a shirt that said something like that. I generally don't like racy/dirty/crude humor, its just not my cup of tea, but it is the ones referencing drugs that will actually make me upset... it brings to mind too many bad things.

PS: I actually wrote quite a bit more about why I agree with you but decided to cut it all out because it was just way too depressing for the 'Random Discussion' subforum... maybe I'll save it for some other thread in some other forum at some other time on some other day.

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

I saw a t-shirt vendor that did a variation on the usual "I *heart* New York"

The shirt said "I *plane* New York"

Needless to say, I had a bit of a meltdown.

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2011, 12:04 am

Jory wrote:
Holy s**t, you would hate my dark sense of humor.

Yeah, mine too.

lostonearth35, I can understand your feelings about the meth shirt (and the New York shirt that JohnOldman mentioned). I would not wear a shirt like that, but I also recognize that sometimes a grim topic has to be punctured. Otherwise, pain and seriousness can just crush you. The meth problem has been quite serious here in Indiana, and I know more than a few dead and imprisoned people because of it. But when I'm at work, I hear people making meth jokes a lot. And Adult Swim's Squidbillies cartoon has constant substance-abuse humor: meth, alcohol, paint-huffing, you name it. And I laugh at it every time. It's a coping mechanism.

Charles Bukowski once wrote that one of his most valuable assets in life had been his ability to laugh at pain. It can help you get through.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:08 am

JohnOldman wrote:
I saw a t-shirt vendor that did a variation on the usual "I *heart* New York"

The shirt said "I *plane* New York"

Needless to say, I had a bit of a meltdown.

I actually kinda thought that was somewhat funny, just imagining what it would look like. I can see how it would be offensive though, and I would never encourage such T-shirts to be sold.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:10 am

dont go to keywest then

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:17 am

Drugs are bad, mkay?

Seriously though, I joke about stuff like that sometimes. I've joked about far worse. They're jokes.

Jackanape
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2011, 12:25 am

My dearly departed super conservative christian mother would of laughed her butt off at that shirt.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

MXH wrote:

:lol: