Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 4:48 pm

yup...I totally did that today :lol:

OMG! I totally spaced out when I got to this red light and stop then I looked both ways and thought "well, no one's coming"and totally turned on the red light! :oops: Didnt realize I made the mistake until I had made the turn and saw appraoching traffic (not too accident-prone approaching but enough to made me realize what I did). Now I'm scared sh*t that there was a camera there and I'll get a hefty ticket in the mail. Well it's my dad's car so he will get a ticket but he will scream at me and stuff. It was at a weird T intersection I've never been in before so I dont even know if there were cameras but it was at the entrance/exit to an office/business area so I assume there probably was.

Which sucks cause I have no money.

Any advice on how to handle this situation once I get the fine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heh :P

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:03 pm

Quote:

Probably no camera.

Pay more attention!! ! :lol:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:11 pm

I don't know what the law is in Indiana, but in Texas, if an intersection has red light cameras, the city/county where the intersection is located is required by law to post signs informing motorists that there is a red light camera at the intersection. If your state's law's are similar, then you probably won't get a ticket.

Was the street you were trying to turn onto a one-way street? If so, it was ok to make a left on red.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:15 pm

No the street I turned into was a two-way which is a cause for concern.

And I was actually out of the Indianapolis area, possibly in Zionsville but not 100% sure but it like on the Marion/Boone County border so it wasnt like I was exactly in the heart of Zionsville were i know there are bounds of cameras/

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:25 pm

This reminded me of an incident many years ago where my mom drove straight through a red light. What happened was that there was a bus in front of us so my mom couldn't see the traffic light. The bus turned right and for some reason my mom just drove right through the red light and forgot to look at the traffic light. I remember at least one car had to slam on the brakes making the car screech. Luckily we didn't end up crashing. My mom got so terrified afterwards. I was a little kid back then and I didn't really have any reaction. In fact, I remember I found it funny when my mom was driving through the intersection.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 10:00 pm

I've stopped at a stop sign and have waited for it to turn green more then once. :oops:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 11:51 pm

Where I live, you can turn on a red light if you are making the right turn and there is no sign saying "No turn on red" and there is no red light at the crosswalk which is for the driver that is turning.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:54 am

Does anyone know how long it takes for the notice/ticket/fine or whatever to arrive in the mail after doing something like that? :P

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 8:32 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
yup...I totally did that today :lol:

OMG! I totally spaced out when I got to this red light and stop then I looked both ways and thought "well, no one's coming"and totally turned on the red light! :oops: Didnt realize I made the mistake until I had made the turn and saw appraoching traffic (not too accident-prone approaching but enough to made me realize what I did). Now I'm scared sh*t that there was a camera there and I'll get a hefty ticket in the mail. Well it's my dad's car so he will get a ticket but he will scream at me and stuff. It was at a weird T intersection I've never been in before so I dont even know if there were cameras but it was at the entrance/exit to an office/business area so I assume there probably was.

Which sucks cause I have no money.

Any advice on how to handle this situation once I get the fine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heh :P

Be grateful that you live in a country where being caught on camera turning 'right on red' is one of the worst things that could happen to you :?: :arrow:

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:29 am

Done it once, it was late at night. It was at the intersection of McPherson and Kingshighway in Saint Louis(anyone here who lives in STL can attest that the light is screwy.) I sat through three light cycles waiting for it to change, and it never did, so finally I said "screw it" and made a left. Luckily, there was no traffic.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2010, 12:15 pm

Ouch, it's a good thing no one was coming. That's a pretty big mistake to make. Don't worry about it though, a lot of red lights don't have cameras, you should be fine.

Speaking of red lights and left turns (this is sort of a random question), but aren't you allowed to turn left on red if you are going from a one way road turning onto another one way road?