Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SmellHole
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2010, 4:16 am

Who are the guitarists here? Beginners to pros - speak up! What's your style and what type of gear do you use? Who is your guitar hero?

Me: not-so-good hobbyist for 25 years. I have a Schecter Custom XXX, a Fender Strat Highway One, and a spiffy Gibson SG Standard that my wife bought me. I play through a Digitech GNX4, Blackheart amps, and an Amp Maker SE-5a tube amp I built from a kit.

Mostly I pretend to be Malcolm Young (my guitar hero) and play along to AC/DC tunes, but I also play lots of other classic rock/metal, blues, and even some metalish-techno bits now and again.

Playing guitar calms me down when I'm having an aspie anxiety attack. It's kinda like my version of a squeeze machine.

Anyone else?

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 5:13 am

I'm a beginner!! I play acoustic. I don't really use any gear unless Im messing around my dads electric guitars. I like Kirk Hammett of Metallica, but right now Im just learning some rhythms.

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:00 am

I play guitar, both electric and acoustic.

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2010, 1:35 pm

I've been playing guitar on and off for maybe 9 years. I pick it up every now and then with extreme enthusiasm and in a few months the feeling dies only to return (Stupid motivation issues). I have a few guitars but I only play my Gibson Gothic SG. I think I like the wide neck since I have large hands. I also string the guitar with 10/52s believe... because I have my own unique style of playing. I can kinda mix rhythm guitar with lead with them by playing hard... I guess I play the guitar kinda like a bass. I slap the strings pull hard and it sounds cool... needless to say I break too many strings with a lighter string gauge. I also don't play with guitar pics... fingers only. I found I can play very fast if I use two to three fingers and a thumb as seperate pics instead of focusing all of my fingers into holding a guitar pic. Yes you can make a guitar wail without a pic :)

As far as an amp settup I have a Fender Cyber Deluxe which I use primarily with a Vox wah pedal and the amp's 4 switch foot board.

My guitar playing style is my own but I spent most of my entry period studying greats like Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, and Cliff Burton (Haha a bassist). I also kind of mess around with a Godsmack type of playing style or even a classical guitar style :?

The worst part about me is I'm not half bad when I get into playing... I just can't perform for people. Damn performance anxiety :cry:

Last edited by Talis on 29 Sep 2010, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 2:28 pm

Only been playing around ten years...and my gear totally sucks =D

I've got a Strat ripoff electric, a P-Bass ripoff bass, and a Harmony acoustic.

Guitar, I used to play a lot of power chord stuff, but a few years ago I decided to learn real chords and now I play like a watered down Ian Anderson meets Paul Simon. Bass, I'm not really sure...my right-hand style is very Geezer Butler, but the fretting hand not so much...he tends to stick to pentatonic scale and lots of bends. I like to use a lot of slides and don't really borrow from anyone else's style that I know of. Plus I recently switched the flatwound strings, so even my own style is changing.

Jigsaw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2010, 3:15 pm

I play ukulele -- does that count??

Your Aspie score: 180 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 31 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie (Ya think?!?!? :? )

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2010, 6:29 pm

I have a Johnson Acoustic guitar and a Ibenez Creative semi-hollow body acoustic/electric guitar. I have many guitarists I look up to. Everything from folk to rock. It just depends on my mood. I also play the fiddle a bit, but I am rusty.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 8:33 pm

SmellHole wrote:
Who are the guitarists here? Beginners to pros - speak up! What's your style and what type of gear do you use? Who is your guitar hero?

Me: not-so-good hobbyist for 25 years. I have a Schecter Custom XXX, a Fender Strat Highway One, and a spiffy Gibson SG Standard that my wife bought me. I play through a Digitech GNX4, Blackheart amps, and an Amp Maker SE-5a tube amp I built from a kit.

Mostly I pretend to be Malcolm Young (my guitar hero) and play along to AC/DC tunes, but I also play lots of other classic rock/metal, blues, and even some metalish-techno bits now and again

I suppose I could define myself as a guitarist, but much to my eternal torment, I may forever remain a beginner. I believe my problems with fine motor skills and the memory issues I think
I have seriously hinder my ability to become a better guitarist than I currently am.

I GUESS the aspect of human memory that would determine one's ability on the guitar would be procedural memory and maybe, semantic memory as well. I believe I have problems with both. Semantic memory deficits don't seem too common among those with ASD's, but there is some evidence to suggest that procedural memory problems are.

Anyway....my lack of ability on guitar has been one of the major sources of misery in my life. I took a few lessons when I first started playing at 14. The one instructor used to write down songs I wanted to learn in tab form. It all looked pretty daunting to me and I didn't even put much effort into trying to learn to read tab. Furthermore...I always believed that my memory problems wouldn't allow me to memorize many solos (about the only one I play with any proficiency is the short solo at the beginning of Black Sabbath's "The Wizard") or songs with alot changes in them.

Also....my fine motor skills seem to prevent from playing many things perfectly. For example....i've been trying to finger-pick Bob Dylan's "House of the Rising Sun" now for years. I know the chords, but I can never pick it right. I always accidentally mute the notes, fail to shift to the F chord in the song quickly enough, etc....

Anyway....I suppose my preferred style is hard rock/heavy metal of all genres. I also love blues, alternative/progressive, classic rock, SOME jazz, classical/flamenco, etc...The only "gear" I own currently is a Fender acoustic with a built-in chromatic tuner. I became frustrated with guitar several years ago and sold all my other equipment.

In the past....i've had a Charvel Model 2 (82'/83' I think) with an EMG pick-up and a Kahler tremelo. I also had a black Gibson flying V with blue/silver stripes and a Kahler. I had a Dimarzio pick-up installed in this axe since I didn't like the stock one. This was also an 83' model. I had a red BC Rich (NJ series) Mockingbird which I was inspired to buy because Kerry King of Slayer always used one (though i'm sure he was using an American model.) King and Slayer in general was one of my favorite bands in 80's. Even though it was the cheapo NJ series and had no tremelo, I liked this guitar very much. It had a pretty hot pick-up and you can't beat BC Rich guitars for their "metal" look.

I also had a white strat-shaped Yahama with a crappy stock whammy bar. I liked this guitar too though, it also had a hot pick-up and was great for crunch. Beyond that.....I had a cheapo K-Mart sunburst special as my introductory guitar. In terms of amps....i've had many. I had a 25 watt Randall which really left something to be desired with it's built-in distortion. It was great through the clean channels, but I always had to augment or substitute the gain with a Boss or DOD distortion pedal. I've had too many pedals too mention and I also had a digitech processor as well. The distortion in the digitech was limited as well and it only seemed good for playing high-pitched heavy stuff like black metal. I used Marshall stacks for the two years I was actually in a band (Black/Death metal.) I also had a nice 40 watt Crate which had alot of crunch. That's about the extent of the amps i've had.

Oh....I also had a nice Gibson Explorer Bass for awhile. Not many people use Gibson bass guitars, but I thought this one was pretty decent and jet black to boot.

As far as my favorite guitarists.....too many to mention. In no particular order of greatness....here's a few though. I don't consider them all equal in terms of sheer technical proficiency, but there's at least something I like about each one in terms of style, delivery, sound, the equipment they use, etc....

-Allan Holdsworth
-Segovia
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Eric Johnston
-Eddie Van Halen
-Angus Young
-Randy Rhodes
-Glenn Tipton/KK Downing (Judas Priest)
-Dave Murray/Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
-Jeff Hanneman/Kerry King (Slayer)
-The Hoffman brothers (Deicide)
-Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel)
-Varg Vikernes (Burzum)
-Vivian Campbell (Dio, etc...)
-Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow)
-Robbie Kreiger (The Doors)
-David Gilmore (Pink Floyd)
-And of course.....Jimi "god" Hendrix 8)

etc......ad infinitum

Anyway....in spite of my crappy chicken scratchin' ability on guitar...it has always calmed me down too during panic attacks. I dream of getting better one day, but I just don't know if that would ever happen.

I would be tempted to meet the devil on the crossroads in exchange for mastery of the guitar. That's what legend claims that Robert Johnson did. :twisted:

To me...NOTHING is worse than having a great passion for something while lacking an equally great ability. :x :cry:

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 11:28 pm

I've been playing the guitar off-and-on for ten or eleven years. Unfortunately, though, it's been more "off" than "on," so I do so rather poorly. I enjoy it, though, and that's all that really matters to me.

I play an acoustic, a handmade Hohner Limited Edition HG-320 which was made in either 1977 or 1978. It has a wonderful sound, and maybe it's a bit odd, but I have a lot of respect for this specific guitar; it's survived all these years in excellent shape, and the fact that people have been playing and loving it for longer than I've been alive seems somehow special.

I don't have any particular guitar heroes, and my style is "false beginner who really ought to practice more but clearly has fun with her awkward musical stylings."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 12:14 pm

Horus wrote:
Also....my fine motor skills seem to prevent from playing many things perfectly.

I think this is why I love acoustic style chords so much...oftentimes you can screw up and hit the wrong strings and nobody will notice because it's still in key.

And believe me, I'm as sloppy as they come :x Sometimes I play the wrong chord in songs that I myself have written :x

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 12:19 pm

I'm slowly crossing the line between a wannabe and a beginner. Real slowly, since I'm always learning 101 things at once and I don't always remember to pick up my guitar.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 4:55 pm

My brother and my father play guitar very well. Personally, I am a piano/marimba/xylophone/vibraphone/tuba/drums/baritone kind of person. Want to pick up cello, though.