Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ancient_Chaos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 2:57 am

(Whoo, my first thread~)

I've seen a few religion threads lately and thought I might try my own, I will not berate or criticize your choice nor try to prove you wrong, I will simply ask a single question...

Why?

Why do you believe what you do over all other options available?

I may later follow up with some brief (one word to a single, short sentence) questions or counterpoints that I would like information on / your explanation of, but that is all.

Last edited by Ancient_Chaos on 09 Jun 2010, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:09 am

Because I was raised to believe a certain religion, and I dont feel the need to look for a different religion to be apart of, when I like the one I am apart of.

Im not super religious though.

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 3:15 am

I could ask non believers the same question.

Why? For me God is real. Story from my darkest days on this planet. When I was destroying myself, cutting myself, overdosing feeling so miserable and overwhelmed that life was intolerable.

I yelled at God like David in the Psalms. And I experienced God. Peace. Like I never knew before and sadly, never after.
Since that day God is real to me. So I cannot not believe in God. Would be easier though. Because I have had a sexchange operation, I live with a partner who calls herself lesbian and churches are groups of people as well and I cannot function in groups.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:51 am

I believe that there's a God and a Heaven. I also like to keep in touch with my spiritual side. Nothing gives me more satisfaction, than going to Church for a couple hours, each Sunday.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 4:49 am

Ancient_Chaos wrote:
(Whoo, my first thread~)

I've seen a few religion threads lately and thought I might try my own, I will not berate or criticize your choice nor try to prove you wrong, I will simply ask a single question...

Why?

Some beliefs are more fun than others.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 6:05 am

i am spiritual but never religious. i have to believe in something larger than the base evil earthly reality, otherwise i'd not be able to function.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 7:21 am

Ancient_Chaos wrote:
Why?

I would like to believe in God the Creator.

People often say they believe God created the universe without understanding what that means. It's a big place and it's been around a long time.

Bringing the universe into being is the action of a real God.

I would like to believe we have free will.

If we have free will, God can know what we will do (as God is outside time) but cannot predict what we will do without letting us really do it.

God therefore cannot set up the universe to the best advantage of free willed life.

God must "run" the universe to see what happens.

I would like to believe that this world and this universe are trials for the next one, where God will change the rules based on what happens in this one.

I would like to believe that God's plan is to refine the universes until a paradise is achieved.

That would be an awesome plan. I don't mean awesome in the contemporary sense of "cool." I mean awesome.

That would be the action of a real God.

I would like to believe these things, but have no evidence.

I don't even know what evidence could possibly be offered for them.

This is my take on the fantasy of the World Remade.

Sometimes I do believe, despite having no evidence. I don't understand why.

Sometimes I don't believe.

I'm ambivalent.

The year is still young.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 2:30 pm

Ancient_Chaos wrote:
(Whoo, my first thread~)

Why?

I may later follow up with some brief (one word to a single, short sentence) questions or counterpoints that I would like information on / your explanation of, but that is all.

I do believe in God and that
there are three "persons" of one essence,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

I'm not over-Catholic, but am very self-conscious
over the fact I follow only one religion.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:18 pm

Kat15 wrote:
Because I was raised to believe a certain religion, and I dont feel the need to look for a different religion to be apart of, when I like the one I am apart of.

Im not super religious though.

^ Pretty much this. I'm more into the grey area than a couple of my relatives. Personal experiances also helped this along. I'm not going to share these experiances in the thread.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 5:02 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Ancient_Chaos wrote:
Why?

I would like to believe in God the Creator.

People often say they believe God created the universe without understanding what that means. It's a big place and it's been around a long time.

Bringing the universe into being is the action of a real God.

I would like to believe we have free will.

If we have free will, God can know what we will do (as God is outside time) but cannot predict what we will do without letting us really do it.

God therefore cannot set up the universe to the best advantage of free willed life.

God must "run" the universe to see what happens.

I would like to believe that this world and this universe are trials for the next one, where God will change the rules based on what happens in this one.

I would like to believe that God's plan is to refine the universes until a paradise is achieved.

That would be an awesome plan. I don't mean awesome in the contemporary sense of "cool." I mean awesome.

That would be the action of a real God.

I would like to believe these things, but have no evidence.

I don't even know what evidence could possibly be offered for them.

This is my take on the fantasy of the World Remade.

Sometimes I do believe, despite having no evidence. I don't understand why.

Sometimes I don't believe.

I'm ambivalent.

^^Yaye greetings everyone,

I perhaps wondered if I may please ask a question for your happy little post Ambivalence. I am sorry if this is horrible of me.

If God is outside time, then would this not mean that predicting the future is equivalent to knowing the future. Rather, they have no need to predict.

That is, to an individual who is not dependent on time, time is merely an independent variable to them, just like position.

To them, all events that have taken place, are taking place and are to take place would be possible to be observed as they wish, like the events are all documented neatly within a book.

^^Oh dear, I am sorry that I am stating the above as such and I am very sorry if I am incorrect.

I am very sorry also as I personally do not believe if one particular religion, however believe that all are possible.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:57 am

Tomasu wrote:
I perhaps wondered if I may please ask a question for your happy little post Ambivalence. I am sorry if this is horrible of me.

Not at all. I try to reconcile my need to believe in God - I was at one point a practising Christian - with such understanding of the universe as I have.

Quote:
If God is outside time, then would this not mean that predicting the future is equivalent to knowing the future. Rather, they have no need to predict.

That is, to an individual who is not dependent on time, time is merely an independent variable to them, just like position.

To them, all events that have taken place, are taking place and are to take place would be possible to be observed as they wish, like the events are all documented neatly within a book.

I didn't explain what I mean clearly enough. I found it difficult to write, though it is a simple idea. I'll try again.

If we have free will, it means that we choose for ourselves what to do. God doesn't choose for us. The only way for God to find out what we do is if we actually do it. The only thing that behaves like a person is a person. So while God knows what we do, we really have to do it first.

What it means is that God can't design a perfect world at the dawn of creation without "trial runs" - God must give us a world, and watch us live in it, and use that knowledge to make a better one. While God can do these things simultaneously, outside time - we could think of it as all the worlds existing at the same time, but separate from each other - the different worlds all have to exist. There cannot be a perfect world for creatures like us unless there are also imperfect worlds, and we're in one of the imperfect ones...

The year is still young.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 10:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
i am spiritual but never religious. i have to believe in something larger than the base evil earthly reality, otherwise i'd not be able to function.

Who said/voted that 'Earth reality' is evil :?:

I think I missed that telethon :roll: :arrow:

sylvr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2010, 11:39 am

I believe what I believe because I know it to be true. :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:53 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'd guess that it's a personal belief.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 2:43 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

it has been said, that "there are none so blind, as those who will not see." i would submit that those who feel our world is just fine the way it is, are part of the problem and not part of the solution. you can't fix a problem unless you can see that indeed there IS a problem. the problem is evil. the solution is to [at least] try to not be evil.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 2:58 am

I believe in Cthulhu because he believes in me.... no wait, if Cthulhu believed in me, that would mean he would be thinking of me. When Cthulhu thinks of someone, doesn't it cause the person to go mad? I don't want no part of that @#!% ! I guess I believe in Cthulhu for [insert reason].