Why do popular members have it easy on here?

Page 3 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 2:19 pm

Ferdinand wrote:
superboyian wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
Gee, I sure wish I was popular. :roll:

You seem to be quite a popular newbie. Just wait a little more longer till you get recognized. :lol:

I was being sarcastic. I am WP's very own friendly troll. Everyone loves me :).

Uh oh, I knew it. But you're funny. I guess the mods really like you.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:15 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
Like for example, whenever somebody like Tim Tex, CockneyRebel, or Hale Bopp posts a thread asking for advice, they get loads of positive responses, but whenever I post one, I get little to no response or rather insulting advice. I swear, this site is just like high school! :evil:

I've never noticed you before and I don't even recognize your name FROM any posts I have read.

No doubt, you (and most other members of WP) could say the same about me.

There does seem to be an established 'in' group here on WP and in that respect, if nothing else, we are perhaps not unlike NTz.

I've never heard of Hale Bopp, I really haven't (so perhaps I am one of the more sheltered WP members)

I do really enjoy reading the posts of some of the 'popular' members, I find some of the 'popular' members utterly obnoxious and I am a big fan of some of the WP members who seem to get (at best) no recognition and at worst, derision.

Bottom line, I'm Autistic so I don't really give a **** what people think about me, especially the obnoxious.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:32 pm

Hm....maybe the more you care about WP and the more the site is important to you the more sensitive you will be about beeing popular and not. Iguess we here are more sensitive towards the feeling of belonging somewhere than others, But try not to take it so dead serious if your thread is not beeing on top for long time and get massive replies....um...I cant have more focus now on this....*hungry*

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:34 pm

am i a "popular member" :? ?

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:35 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
Popular people are everywhere. Ever among Aspies. See threads like Hail a Member! or Who would you like to meet? etc. It must be a part of human nature. I don't care about it and there's no envy in me.

If somebody is jealous: write many posts, doesn't matter about what, play in games section and you will join popular group.
Hail Valoyossa :P :!:

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:41 pm

Seanmw wrote:
am i a "popular member" :? ?

I ain't but who cares.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:52 pm

Today was end-of-year ceremonies at my daughter's school. She attends a school for children with miscellaneous disabilities. The only criteria is that they were found to be incompatible with mainstream education, including mainstream special ed. The school's motto might as well be, "when everybody is weird, nobody is weird".

I sat behind a dad who lit up when his son entered the room. His son was high-fiving kids all over the room. He came over to his dad and his dad said, in apparent happy disbelief, "are you...popular here?" The boy said. "No. Nobody's popular. We're all popular." A meaningful sentiment and I think it really applies to WP too.

On WP, it seems "popular" mainly means, "people reply to your posts". And by that measure, since you've racked up a few pages on this thread now, you are...popular.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 4:04 pm

In terms of popularity here on WP? I'm not the most recognised person but, this does not bother for, I've come to understand none of "us" can be the Pied Pipers of the world having everyone parading and following us.
Honestly, I simply do my best wholeheartedly when relating back to various people here and if I'm not acknowledged? Well, I don't let it get me down rather simply come to terms to simply jus be whom you are and not let someone else's words nor actions dictate the course of your life real or virtual..

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 4:11 pm

Popular members tend to be likeable and straightfrward. Also, they don't force there obsessions onto other people. As in they won't just talk about their obsessions all the time and let everybody the know they are obsessed with this or that beyond their avatar, signature, or description.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 4:17 pm

ShenLong wrote:
Popular members tend to be likeable and straightfrward. Also, they don't force there obsessions onto other people. As in they won't just talk about their obsessions all the time and let everybody the know they are obsessed with this or that beyond their avatar, signature, or description.

You do realise he also named CockneyRebel, right? She makes it abundantly clear how much she likes the Kinks every chance she gets. (for legal reasons, I am obliged to make clear that I in no way condemn this sort of behaviour)

If you can't find anyone who shares your interest here then look somewhere else, there's probably some "thief cobbler thingy" fan forum somewhere.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 6:45 pm

I'm not a popular member and don't expect to be. I'm often too angry (that whole black-and-white-thinking shtick; the Dark Side is strong in this one), too curt (I'm not good at lengthy exposition) and too random (saying obscure things in the assumption that they'll be recognised) to be casually likeable. :? Pfft. :lol: I'll just have to rely on my honesty, devastating wit and eclectic tranches of knowledge to win over the readership. :wink:

I do recognise everyone who's posted earlier, and with the exception of trying not to form a crush on the scarily totalitarian Valoyossa, I'd like to think I read you all as equals. :)

The year is still young.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 8:09 pm

Lecks wrote:
ShenLong wrote:

You do realise he also named CockneyRebel, right? She makes it abundantly clear how much she likes the Kinks every chance she gets. (for legal reasons, I am obliged to make clear that I in no way condemn this sort of behaviour)

If you can't find anyone who shares your interest here then look somewhere else, there's probably some "thief cobbler thingy" fan forum somewhere.

I acknowledge that, but CockneyRebel has seniority so that's a special case.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 8:23 pm

In terms of popularity, I've been on here for 3yrs though, hardly have I said anything that is remotely deep or profoundly comprehensive.Still, Myself, I simply interact with people here on WP as best as possible though many of the difficulties I possess cause me trouble.Anyways, one should simply take the approach that it's not the number of friends you obtain per se rather the emotional content of such persons..This to me makes greater sense than trying to win some popularity content coming from WP's version of a failed poet...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 9:14 pm

I come to interact, and have fun. I come to speak my mind, about many things. I come to be myself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 9:18 pm

I've just started a not yet popular thread on NHL hockey teams. If it becomes popular, that's great. If it doesn't, at least I've branched out and spoke on a topic, that's random for me.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 9:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've just started a not yet popular thread on NHL hockey teams. If it becomes popular, that's great. If it doesn't, at least I've branched out and spoke on a topic, that's random for me.

Hockey bores me.