Why are many parties alcohol dominated?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:08 pm

I don't like the taste of alcohol (even though I never tried much brands). I enjoy iced tea and I am fine with just that. I don't like having drunk people around me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

That's the one thing about parties, that I will never understand.

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:17 pm

Alot of people like how un-inihibited they feel on alcohol, but know their behavior is really only acceptable if the others around them are less inhibited as well.

less inhibited=more honest/more sexual(usually)/more confrontational

I myself dislike alcohol and most other depressants (i.e. MJ). They put me to sleep.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2010, 10:42 pm

Alcohol is very important at parties because it's a competition to see who can get the most F#*$ed up :twisted:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 12:13 am

Like nick said, it's a competition thing...you don't want to be a lightweight. It lowers inhibitions, so you might end up doing stuff you wouldn't normally do. IMO, dancing on a table or babbling to my crush doesn't really sound too fun (in reference to lowering inhibitions), but a lot of people want to. By lowering inhibitions it keeps your anxiety down a bit I guess.

Most people like to be around other people, and it's just something to do with each other (especially if there's a ton of people). Imagine what a 100 self conscious NTs would do sitting around with one-another (without alcohol) :lol: Personally I haven't found it a ton of fun, but lots of people enjoy it.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 12:44 am

A lot of NTs are very self-conscious at parties. Alcohol relaxes them so they can talk to people they may not otherwise go and talk to. Also they sometimes need that bit of extra help to dance too.

Taking a break.

CJame
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2010, 2:51 am

Because except for caffeine, all the other social drugs are illegal.

You're going to the wrong parties. :lol:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:06 am

Because people are idiots who enjoy poisoning themselves for fun.

NeverEnder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 4:27 am

Actually, most people are socially awkward to some extent. Substances such as alcohol and drugs allow for the breakdown of the social wall that prevents a certain type of interaction.

It is, once again (as we see so much in society), a group mentality; like sports, let's get together and act barbaric, "Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you may die". This is the excuse for any excess.

And, alcohol is addictive. Simple, social use may very well lead to dependence before one realizes it. This coupled with the social feelings generated in such environs, "acceptance by others", can add up to an unhealthy (and sometimes deadly) result of a distorted view of one's self and surrounding, this leading to further destruction of self, soul and being, exponetially. All in the name of fun.

And I'll be your ghost.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:51 am

Asp-Z wrote:

My thoughts exactly! Best use for alcohol is if you're stupid enough to drink anti-freeze and know it and you want to increase your chances of survival before you get to see a doctor in the ER.

Darkword wrote:
Alot of people like how un-inihibited they feel on alcohol, but know their behavior is really only acceptable if the others around them are less inhibited as well.

less inhibited=more honest/more sexual(usually)/more confrontational

Less inhibited=more like me

I find that people think I'm drunk when I'm at a party where everyone is drinking just because I'm not afraid to sing karaoke or something as long as I see a few people go through with it before hand and the crowd isn't too quiet (a dead audience paying too much attention is lame)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 7:55 am

That's the way of the world.

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2010, 10:06 am

People want an excuse to act stupidly because they're afraid of doing it normally.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 10:12 am

astaut wrote:
Like nick said, it's a competition thing...you don't want to be a lightweight. It lowers inhibitions, so you might end up doing stuff you wouldn't normally do. IMO, dancing on a table or babbling to my crush doesn't really sound too fun (in reference to lowering inhibitions), but a lot of people want to. By lowering inhibitions it keeps your anxiety down a bit I guess.

Most people like to be around other people, and it's just something to do with each other (especially if there's a ton of people). Imagine what a 100 self conscious NTs would do sitting around with one-another (without alcohol) :lol: Personally I haven't found it a ton of fun, but lots of people enjoy it.

Dancing on tables! I thought I was the only one here who did that :lol:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 10:18 am

Because if they weren't it would be dull as dishwater.

I'm not generally into partying in any case. Give me a quiet pub with several good cask beers and I'm happy.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 7:27 pm

Asp-Z wrote:

Amen!! :D Glad SOMEBODY in the world recognizes the effects of alcohol!! I've never understood why people enjoy that, or cigarettes, or marijuana - all three of them stink to the point of which I'd rather smell...things in the bathroom!! :lol: (and I don't mean shampoo... :P ) On top of that, why in the name of all humanity would someone WANT to poison themselves?!? Do they just think life is a big fat waste of time?!? Sometimes it can seem that way, but that's when I try to make things BETTER for myself, not WORSE!!

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2010, 7:33 pm

Alcohol is one of the best social lubricants around, not to mention it's a party so you know everyone is there to either get knocked up or have a good time or a mix of both.

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here....and boy what a hell of a ride that was :) just don't overdo it, take it easy and sip, don't chug it down like you would soda.