Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 11:34 am

computerlove wrote:
So, what do you think about "manorexia" (male anorexia)?
I just saw a tv show about male kids as young as 12 y.o. that were suffering it. A fad? Social pressure?

btw I'm on a diet, I've dropped off so far 22kg (~48.5lbs.) and I feel great (: (and Im getting closer to my REAL ideal weight)

I've known many guys on meth and coke who look like that.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 2:41 pm

Leiservampir wrote:
My god, it's the same for my fiance. He's skinny as a twig, and eats like a horse, but he never goes up.

I used to eat 4000-6000 calories a day. In the mean time I looked like this
PIC

and that's leaning forwards a little. Also, I was playing video games 12 hours a day at the time lol only exercise was at school. Metabolism FTW, as long as I ain't paying for food.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:00 pm

It isn't that uncommon in male jockeys, I've heard.

I mean...I don't think it's attractive, of course. There are a lot of guys that look like those in the pictures that are just naturally that skinny.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:00 pm

i dont think they look that bad:/ ?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:05 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
The one on the right looks like my brother. For awhile my sisters and I were afraid that my brother was anorexic, but that turned out to be false. Turns out he actually wants to gain weight, but no matter how much he eats, he never puts on anything. For about two weeks I watched him pack away as many calories as he possibly could, but he barely gained anything.

And no, he's not bulimic because he never went to the bathroom to vomit. Believe me, I would know - I'm like the "vomit patrol" person in my house; nobody vomits without me finding out about it.

Does anyone know of any medical conditions that cause people to be as thin as a rail despite the amount of calories they consume?

My little brother is like that. No matter how much he eats - and trust me, he eats a ton - he can't get much about 120 lbs, and he's taller than I am. He's just a twig, but he's healthy. We think it's a combination of genetics (two of my uncles were like that for years) and exercise (he's very active).

Anyway, I don't think male anorexia should be viewed as any less of a disorder than female anorexia. I think it's extremely unfortunate that people don't give it as much importance.

Three years!

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:06 pm

My body looks like those guys'. I'm not anorexic... at least, not Anorexia Nervosa, which is what I think we're talking about here. I doubt I'm any other kind of anorexic either, although I've never asked a doctor so I can't be sure. It requires not eating, right? I sometimes forget to eat, but I love eating and I love food. If food is available, I'll consume it with a vengeance.

Anyway, I don't really see anything wrong with the way they look, they just look naturally slim, like me.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Anorexia is rare in males. I know it's more common in wrestlers.

Meant to say something about this sooner. When you are involved in a sport with a weight class you want to have no dead weight.

If you are professional at it it's just a work related trade off. If you work restoring older cars you probably inhale a lot more asbestos brake dust than anyone else, if you work with race cars you deal with significantly more deadly fuels than anyone else, if you work as a lifeguard you get more UV exposure and therefore are more likely to get skin cancer, bartenders are exposed to more second hand smoke, and it's all just part of the job.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

12 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm

My hubby used to be very, very thin. He could make his thumb and forefinger meet round one ankle. He's put on a bit of weight since he's been with me, but he's still pretty skinny. He's also the only guy I've ever met who regarded a packet of Jaffa cakes as an acceptable breakfast. People used to wonder if he was anorexic until they saw him eat. He knew a guy, though, at a place he used to work who actually was anorexic, and he said you could tell...I mean, this guy was really ill-looking, his skin looked dead. There's skinny and skinny: some thin people are that way naturally, many struggle like heck to keep themselves at a lower than natural weight, and some are seriously sick.

I studied eating disorders in psych class, and while it's thought they originate in certain factors like a need for control and perfectionism, it's also been proven that societies that don't have our obsession with thinness also don't have our incidence of eating disorders. The gender balance between male and female sufferers corresponds closely to the amount of body-related advertising aimed at men and women. The other difference is that where girls stop eating, boys tend to get obsessed with exercise. Our attitude to looks isn't entirely to blame, but it's definitely a contributing factor.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 5:21 pm

I for one can't wait to be able to fit in my onesey. I haven't been in it since I was like, 0

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:38 pm

I don't think they look anorexic or manorexic. Pretty darn thin, but in no danger. I think of manorexia as being a weight lifting obsession; perhaps I'm using the term wrongly.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:49 pm

I wish I could eat all I want and not put on a pound. I used to be that way because of the pills I was on but not anymore.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 11:33 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:
computerlove wrote:
So, what do you think about "manorexia" (male anorexia)?
I just saw a tv show about male kids as young as 12 y.o. that were suffering it. A fad? Social pressure?

btw I'm on a diet, I've dropped off so far 22kg (~48.5lbs.) and I feel great (: (and Im getting closer to my REAL ideal weight of 40kg)

Man those guys are to fat they disgust me. :eew:

:lol:

MR_BOGAN wrote:
computerlove wrote:
Im getting closer to my REAL ideal weight of 40kg)

8O

SHH!! ! It was s'posed to be a secret! dammit!

'sup my fave newzelander hobbit!!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 11:46 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
I've known many guys on meth and coke who look like that.

Hmm, that gives me an idea... :chin:

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 2:11 am

Don't do it man! lol

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 2:48 am

You know, now that I think about it, you don't have to be super skinny to be anorexic. I heard that Anorexia is when you don't eat the amount of calories you should be getting, for whatever reason, over a long period of time. There have been anorexic people who are quite chubby, because when they DO eat, their body stores everything as fat.

:)