What is the worst pain you have experienced?

Page 3 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:25 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Childbirth.

J/K

Believe it or not, I would go through childbirth 100 times over if it meant I never had to deal with another migraine again.

Do you have cluster headaches? :? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headaches

So many people nowadays use the word 'migraines' to refer to 'severe headaches' that you have to ask about a million questions to clarify as to whether they actually have migraines or headaches. I have migraines occasionally, but mostly headaches. They both hurt terribly, they are just different.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm

astaut wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Childbirth.

J/K

Believe it or not, I would go through childbirth 100 times over if it meant I never had to deal with another migraine again.

Do you have cluster headaches? :? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headaches

So many people nowadays use the word 'migraines' to refer to 'severe headaches' that you have to ask about a million questions to clarify as to whether they actually have migraines or headaches. I have migraines occasionally, but mostly headaches. They both hurt terribly, they are just different.

I was going to mention cluster headaches. I read about them when I was researching my son's sudden, intense, one sided head aches that end with vomiting. I know they are called "suicide headaches" for a reason and are considered the absolute worst.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:32 pm

astaut wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
Headaches I get. Not fun.

Agreed. Especially worsened when I bend over, sneeze, laugh, etc...

The IVs I got in my hand today weren't fun, but not the worst pain I've experienced. Getting an IV in your wrist is pretty painful.

Yeah it is. I had a panic attack both times I was in labor because of that damned IV. I have no problem with shots or with getting my blood drawn... an IV? HELL NO!

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:34 pm

astaut wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Childbirth.

J/K

I'm reading right now, but I was told by my GP when I was a teen that I had ocular migraines. (I think that's what he called them...) I often get a white lighting blind spot and when it disappears my head starts hurting.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:45 pm

I read up on the cluster headaches, and while the description of the pain is familiar, the pain has never made me want to kill myself. In fact, I have one right now. It's fairly mild compared to what I normally get.

I'm sticking to migraines. I really don't think I suffer from cluster headaches.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 7:39 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I read up on the cluster headaches, and while the description of the pain is familiar, the pain has never made me want to kill myself. In fact, I have one right now. It's fairly mild compared to what I normally get.

I'm sticking to migraines. I really don't think I suffer from cluster headaches.

They are very rare (like 1% of the population or something?) and mostly men anyway, but just thought I'd mention :wink:

Aimless: one-sided with nausea and vomiting points directly to migraines, especially if they have a throbbing sensation. I would have him try prescription migraine meds if he hasn't already (I've used maxalt, toradol and imitrex PRN, and topamax as a preventative), as it's my understanding that cluster headaches don't have a specific treatment. I have heard of them using oxygen to soothe them, and I saw an episode of house where they used 'magic mushrooms' for a cluster patient :D I saw a documentary about cluster headaches once and the man having one laid on the floor and yelled in pain, and he used some oxygen (eventually) to soothe it. Watching that video made me realize those are NOT the kind of headaches I have.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 7:42 pm

astaut wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

They are very rare (like 1% of the population or something?) and mostly men anyway, but just thought I'd mention :wink:

Aimless: one-sided with nausea and vomiting points directly to migraines, especially if they have a throbbing sensation. I would have him try prescription migraine meds if he hasn't already (I've used maxalt, toradol and imitrex PRN, and topamax as a preventative), as it's my understanding that cluster headaches don't have a specific treatment. I have heard of them using oxygen to soothe them, and I saw an episode of house where they used 'magic mushrooms' for a cluster patient :D I saw a documentary about cluster headaches once and the man having one laid on the floor and yelled in pain, and he used some oxygen (eventually) to soothe it. Watching that video made me realize those are NOT the kind of headaches I have.

I saw that. I appreciate the mention and the information. My migraines run in my family. All the women in my family get them.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 7:51 pm

Well, I broke my ankle when I was 11, which was quite painful.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 8:32 pm

I fell into cactus bed once (as opposed to a flower bed). I had needles from head to toe, some of them nearly invisible. My mother, aunt and grandmother tweezed them out for what seemed like days.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:25 pm

happymusic wrote:
I fell into cactus bed once (as opposed to a flower bed). I had needles from head to toe, some of them nearly invisible. My mother, aunt and grandmother tweezed them out for what seemed like days.

Ouchie :eew:

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:27 pm

i'm not sure exactly which was the most painful.

so i'm just going to default with the typical guy answer:
getting kicked in the balls :P

although i've also stepped into multiple wasp nests before (hundreds of stings).
& my collar bone broke during my birth (although i don't remember it, or the pain)

kizzykat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2010, 9:34 pm

mines has got to be child birth :lol: well i though my first two sons was bad but my third little boy i had to get an emergancy c section and i was screaming and shouting like an idiot because i didnt know what was happening i was not prepared for a c section and the pain after the spinal block wore of was emense and i honestly felt for about a month at least that i had been sawed in half then stitched back together again it was horrendous x

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:58 pm

kizzykat wrote:
mines has got to be child birth :lol: well i though my first two sons was bad but my third little boy i had to get an emergancy c section and i was screaming and shouting like an idiot because i didnt know what was happening i was not prepared for a c section and the pain after the spinal block wore of was emense and i honestly felt for about a month at least that i had been sawed in half then stitched back together again it was horrendous x

That's horrible! I didn't get a c-section either time. A natural birth is much easier to recover from, though I got an episiotomy (my spell check doesn't know how to spell this word... ) both times because I was tearing wrong. That hurt the longest.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

happymusic wrote:

Ouch. When I was 2 years old, we moved to a new house. I went outside and ran my hand over the rotting wood railing and got splinters all throughout my hands and arms. It took a couple hours to get then all out, and then I had to get a shot. Fortunately, I don't remember it.

Three years!

kizzykat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
kizzykat wrote:

That's horrible! I didn't get a c-section either time. A natural birth is much easier to recover from, though I got an episiotomy (my spell check doesn't know how to spell this word... ) both times because I was tearing wrong. That hurt the longest.

Oh I've heard that the are bad and very painfull too x

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 10:17 pm

kizzykat wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
kizzykat wrote:

Oh I've heard that the are bad and very painfull too x

Yeah, it didn't heal so well the second time around. I would still take it over a migraine. lol