No 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Maybe 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 42

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 8:13 pm

Seanmw wrote:
i believe there might be intelligent life somewhere out there.

...far, far away from Earth...

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

happymusic wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
i believe there might be intelligent life somewhere out there.

...far, far away from Earth...

oh, definitely :lol:

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:02 am

Dnuos wrote:
lol illegal aliens

Anyways, yeah.

I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona. I am a believer.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:33 am

Variant wrote:
I have no doubt there is life throughout the universe, and some of it is bound to be intelligent. That doesn't mean I subscribe to the idea of flying saucers and alien abductions though.

Funny thought I had the other day though.... people who claim to have been abducted by aliens are usually rednecks, or just nutjobs of a different variety. Well, what if that is why they were returned? The aliens keep the smart people and return the whack jobs.

I don't necesarily believe if the UFO phenomenon is real, that it automatically means that it's aliens. I think that it's some sort of natural phenomenon that we don't fully understand, but there is too little evidence to go around saying it's aliens. But I am open if enough evidence comes along.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:42 am

ShenLong wrote:
Variant wrote:
I have no doubt there is life throughout the universe, and some of it is bound to be intelligent. That doesn't mean I subscribe to the idea of flying saucers and alien abductions though.

Funny thought I had the other day though.... people who claim to have been abducted by aliens are usually rednecks, or just nutjobs of a different variety. Well, what if that is why they were returned? The aliens keep the smart people and return the whack jobs.

I don't necesarily believe if the UFO phenomenon is real, that it automatically means that it's aliens. I think that it's some sort of natural phenomenon that we don't fully understand, but there is too little evidence to go around saying it's aliens. But I am open if enough evidence comes along.

The cigar-shaped crafts are probably the Cuban government spying on us.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:46 am

Ambivalence wrote:
KnucklesUK wrote:
I sure do, I don't believe that we can be the only inteligent life form out in the entire universe, which consists of thousands of galaxies etc.

There's thousands of distinct galaxies in the Hubble Deep Field (basically Hubble pointed at a very, very small section of sky looking as hard as possible) alone. :) The total number of galaxies in the observable universe is usually reckoned to be in the hundreds of billions. It's not possible to say for certain (and it depends what you count - there's a lot of dwarf galaxies around in addition to the biggies like Andromeda or the Milky Way) but it's certainly a very, very large number.

Though it doesn't really tell us anything, other than that if we are to be alone the probability of life arising must be very small - but it's plausible to suppose that life depends on something with a tiny probability, so we just don't know.

It's my belief (and fervent hope, because it's far more interesting than an empty universe) that there's plenty of life out there, because it's my belief that the probability of life arising isn't small - but at present it's only a belief. If we find evidence of life on Mars or Callisto (moon of Jupiter, it's possibly got liquid water oceans under the surface) or anywhere else in the Solar System, the odds of finding life throughout the universe change from "we don't know" to "pretty damn certain."

Speaking of Andromeda, I was looking for it an hour ago with my nocs. I have to wait until 5 in the morning when it's not too dark for binoculars, from then on, i have about 40 minutes before the stars start to disappear. I almost found it. Oh well, at least it's a waning crescent moon, maybe in a few days I can try again. I know exactly where Pegasus and Cassiopeia are, but the Andromeda Galaxy is always too faint.

Another great place to look for life is on Enceladus. And also, maybe there are lifeforms on Titan that have a totally different chemistry than ours, because people have been finding evidence of life on Titan I heard.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:53 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
ShenLong wrote:
Variant wrote:

The cigar-shaped crafts are probably the Cuban government spying on us.

lol

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:22 am

Variant wrote:
You're thinking of Europa, it is more likely to have the liquid water ocean under it's surface, since it experiences considerable tidal heating, while Callisto does not. Though they do suspect that Callisto might also have a sub surface ocean, they're not as interested in exploring it.

Yeah, you're right. To be precise I was thinking "Europa... nah, I'm only thinking Europa 'cause of attempt no landings there, must be Callisto instead..." :lol: Duly chastened. :oops:

The year is still young.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:24 am

NT's are aliens. They act differently then us.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:27 am

There has to be intelligent life somewhere in this universe, coz it sure ain't on Earth :roll:

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:29 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
There has to be intelligent life somewhere in this universe, coz it sure ain't on Earth :roll:

I think you've been watching too many reruns of George Bush's press conferences :D .

But to answer the question. No, I don't believe in Aliens.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:34 pm

happymusic wrote:
Humans,

Of course aliens exist. You just haven't detected us yet.

Love,
<-------

Humans,

Of course aliens exist. We just don't want to communicate with you - do YOU communicate with ants and flies?

:twisted:

starquake
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2010, 2:35 pm

purely on a statistical basis there is simply no chance that there are no other intelligent beings in the universe. in a book by stephen dole (habitable planets for manm freely downloadable from the publisher, rand corp.), he gets to the conclusion that there must be at least one planet that can support human life in a bubble with a diametre of about 50ly.

the real issue in meeting them is perhaps not the space factor, but rather the time factor.

and it really doesn't matter if you believe in aliens or not. they exist even if you don't believe in them. this is not a question of belief.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:46 pm

Yes, I believe other planets had sentient beings evolve.

Fun fact... Mormons believe in aliens.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:16 pm

I do believe there are aliens out there, but I don't believe they are green, humanoid, super-intelligent beings. If there are aliens out there, they would probably look like bacteria or insects.

This is not what aliens will look like.

They will probably look much more like this:

:alien:

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 9:03 pm

starquake wrote:
purely on a statistical basis there is simply no chance that there are no other intelligent beings in the universe. in a book by stephen dole (habitable planets for manm freely downloadable from the publisher, rand corp.), he gets to the conclusion that there must be at least one planet that can support human life in a bubble with a diametre of about 50ly.

the real issue in meeting them is perhaps not the space factor, but rather the time factor.

and it really doesn't matter if you believe in aliens or not. they exist even if you don't believe in them. this is not a question of belief.

Please explain this. I never understood how we can assume probability with that kind of thing when we have never surveyed any other planet besides our own. What numbers are we working with?