Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 6:16 pm

I got a call from the cops the other day regarding some property they had retrieved of mine. I had lost a wallet about a year ago, but at the time I thought I had lost it in my house, so I cancelled the cards in it and turned the house upside down looking for it, to no avail.

So imagine my surprise when I get this phone call from Central CID saying they had found it. I shall speak in dialogue for ease:

Cop: Did you misplace a wallet, and if so what does it look like?
Me: I lost a gold Mimco wallet about a year ago, but did not report to police as I thought it was lost in my house.
Cop: (pause) Hmmm I see. Well yes, this is exactly how you describe it. It was found on a person yesterday that we arrested trying to obtain a Myer credit card using your identification. We will keep it for a period of time for evidence and then turn it over to you. Would you like it back, or would you like us to destroy it?
Me: I would like it back please. But why would this person wait this long before doing something with my ID? And more to the point, I am female. Also(start chuckling), I have no credit rating that I know of or it is most likely terrible, so sucked in to the silly person who tried this. They wouldn't have got very far. he he he he. By the way, did he use my pretty gold Mimco purse to obtain his stolen credit card? It may have affected his credibility....(can't stop laughing by this point, with snorting and everything)

Cop: (dead silence) Well, I am sure that may have been the case. Erm....Ahhh....(clearing of throat).
Me: Sorry, very serious and all that. Thank you for contacting me and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future to return the items.
Cop: No problems, I shall be in contact.
(get off the phone before I make a complete boob of myself).

Stupid person trying to defraud me. Didn't know that were dealing with a paranoid cynic that LOVES staying off the grid. No credit, no mortgage, and a credit history to die for. I wish I could live without a bank. Hate banks.

Mics

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 6:20 pm

hehe. Well at least your credit wasn't turned into bad credit. Which is still possible, if you have no credit history. And well... bad credit can still get so bad that you'll never even be able to have credit, apparently. heh So it's a good thing they caught them in time. Here in Arizona, identity theft is the most common crime. I dunno about over there, but it's pretty bad here.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

I don't get it. He said "person", which is gender neutral, yet from that point on you seem to act as if he's indicated that the thief is male.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 7:53 pm

I'm glad that things are taking a turn, for the better for you. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Aug 2010, 7:43 pm

Was the wallet expensive :?: I doubt there will be any money left in it but it's still good to get it back if it cost a lot. It's possible that you lost your wallet someplace else & the perp recently found it somehow. I'm glad he/she/it got caught.

I was a victim of fraud a couple years ago. I got a call from my credit-card company about some suspicious charges for Netflix. I never used that service so my card company told me to destory the card & they mailed me a new one & some paperwork to sign saying that I did NOT authorize the Netflix charge. I had payed my cable bill online with that card the nite before. I ran a virus scan after I got the call & a couple trojans/worms wer found. I got something in from Netflix a couple days later & I did not open it; I put it back in the mailbox & wrote something like "return to sender; did not order; will not accept". couple days latter I got something else in from em & I sent it back again & a couple days latter their was a 3rd thing that I also sent back & that was the last. I signed up for LifeLock after that. I never had any problems sense but they put fraud alerts on my credit & I had to go true some steps over the phone when I was switching my cell phone service to Verizon a year & a half ago. They cant automatically put fraud alerts on your credit now but they gave me a number to call so I can go true some automated process over the phone & it keeps the alert for 90 days. I call about every two & a half months. I'd highly recommended setting fraud alerts on your credit. I could probably cancel my LifeLock membership & go with something else but I haven't had any problems sense I signed up

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition