Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2010, 4:04 pm

Everyone else I know has seen Avatar already, so I must see it!! ! However, since they've all seen it or can't go with me (or both) I will be going on my own, and my Dad considers this to be `sad` as do many people on the internet, and aparantly I will be stared at and mocked for the duration of the film! Well F@~ck them! I'm still going:) Does anyone else here go alone, and if so, what is the rest of the people's there reaction?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 4:15 pm

Meh, most NTs go everywhere with people, we don't. There's nothing wrong with going to the cinema alone, and I'd like to know how/why someone would pay to watch a film then stare at you in that dark room anyway :lol:

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

Something I'v always wanted to do, is watch a film alone, adn go out for dinner, alone.... but aparantly neither of those things is socially acceptable...
meh!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 4:33 pm

I sometimes go see a movie alone and have no problem with it.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

ALacount wrote:
Something I'v always wanted to do, is watch a film alone, adn go out for dinner, alone.... but aparantly neither of those things is socially acceptable...
meh!

Meh indeed! If anything, not feeling all bad just because you're alone is an advantage!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

I do it, all the time. I like going alone.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 4:41 pm

ALacount wrote:
meh!

I'm a bit uncertain about what is and what is not socially acceptable, but I can tell you what I think. (Whether you decide to care or not about what is socially acceptable is another matter.)

I've been to the cinema alone a few times. Whenever I've been to the cinema alone, it's always been early afternoon on a weekday. (I get the feeling this looks less unusual than going alone on a Friday or Saturday night.) I've never had anyone mock me for it. I don't think people were staring, but it was hard to tell because it was dark!

I've been to pubs on my own before. I once went to a pub/restaurant on my own and ordered a Caesar's salad! But this was a quick snack at about midday. But I might feel a bit self-conscious going to a restaurant alone in the evening.

I might add that I eat lunch alone in the canteen at work pretty much every day. I'm starting to think it probably hasn't gone unnoticed. But hey, it's a big place, so I don't care too much.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 4:55 pm

No worries!!

I watch most movies alone which means that I get both arm rests. I can also sit there with my large soda and my candies and have fun. Afterwards I go to McDonalds or KFC alone and then go home.

In fact my only problem with movie theaters are the people who talk in the middle of the movie.

Vanilla_Slice

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 5:16 pm

Sometimes. I did as a kid once.

I don't give a s**t what people think anymore anyway. I'd definitely go alone in future.

No offense but your Dad sounds like a typical idiot. Don't listen to him. Its dark in there for gods sake and people are too busy watching the movie. If they "mocked and laughed" at you in there people would complain about the noise and they would get kicked out.

I hate that sort of attitude in parents. I nearly hit my mother in the face once for getting all upset that "other kids would laugh at me" because I wanted to go to school with some flowers in my hair.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 6:33 pm

I've only done it once, and not having someone familiar with me made me very anxious and I didn't even enjoy the film. I always go with my brothers now.

Hello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm

I do everything pretty much alone..I go to movies alone all the time. Sometimes I will even pick weekend if there are movies I want to see and spend the whole day at the theater watching movies, it is one of my favorite things to do, I find it to be very relaxing to be alone in a dark theater. I also eat at restaurants by myself, that is awkward and people do look at you funny for it or ask dumb questions, so I don't enjoy that as much.

I've never noticed if I got weird looks at the theater, I wouldn't care anyhow. My family and the few friends I have think I am strange for doing these things on my own though, but they accept me how I am.

capturingtheforfeit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2010, 10:43 pm

I always go to the theaters with my family. I am considering to go to the theaters alone to try it out.
For the girl above, don't feel so bad, at least you got friends

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 10:51 pm

I wouldn't mind going to the theater alone. My brother is a neurotypical and he likes going to the theater alone sometimes, mainly because he likes actually watching and judging the movies. I think it depends on what your mood is. If I want to watch a movie alone or eat alone it's because I want to be able to do what I want and have a bit of quality alone time, without the burden of having to please the other people. I do like going to the movies with friends, but it's not very engaging when you actually want to talk to someone. Lately on my break from school (we have about a week break after J-term), I've been watching movies on my own every night on my laptop. It's been fantastic because I've been having the room to myself because my roommate has gone home :)

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 11:45 pm

I go everywhere alone.

Restaurants, pubs, theaters, you-name-it...

I've forgotten all my shame and don't care if anybody look at me...

matt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 11:55 pm

I have gone to see movies by myself, though, and I like watching movies alone. I watch movies to be entertained, not because I want to be around other people.

But I prefer to watch movies at home, because I can have the volume lower, I can pause or rewind the movie if I want to, I have more comfortable furniture and better food, and there are no talking people or crying babies or phone lights underneath the screen.

A subscription to Netflix costs $8.99/month, which is less than the cost of a movie ticket.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 1:36 am

ive gone alone once, but no specific reason. its cool to go w a friend, cus you can do that movie-chat later. but going alone is cool, nobody else there CARES :D