Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 3:58 pm

I went to the grocery store for pet food today. I was holding up one of the large bags of cat food so the cashier could scan it easier, and she went to grab the bag and hit her hand against my thumb nail. I apologized because I would be horrified if someone's nail cut me. She wasn't cut, though. I keep mt nails squared off so they are never sharp. They are clean, white and not polished either. Anyway, he response was "you need to cut those claws!"

I felt bad for this, but wait- aren't long nails a pretty common thing? I keep them groomed, and I am a woman. I see guys with long nails too, but it is more common in females. I have mutant nails that grow so fast I can cut them all down this week and have them long again in about 10 days. They have always been this way and I have always kept them long- I mean about 1/4 inch past my fingertips, maybe a little longer if I let them go a while. Like I said- no points, filed smooth and square.

I know it may seem silly to start a topic, but what the hell? I have never had an accident with them before so I don't know what the proper response should have been. Maybe I was all out wrong for having long dangerous nails or something. Up north the women get these fake ones that look like talons, so mine seem fairly benign. I didn't even think to look at her nails!

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 1:20 am

My nails are long and I have scratched people a few times (by accident). Do you think he could have been joking?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 2:24 am

He might well have just been trying to make light of things, and it came over like he was upset.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 9:14 am

I'm now thinking she just reacted without giving it a thought. I know it probably hurt when she hit the tip of my nail. It was an accident and all, but maybe the pain just caused her to be a little rude. Her tone was not playful- I don't have problems picking up on things like that.

I actually asked my mom a little while after I posted this last night. I find some things that I think are ordinary are considered "weird" or unusual to the people in this area. My mom informed me that the women around here are just as "in to" the salon nails and manicures as anywhere else I have been, so the sight of clean natural, long nails on a woman is not gross to them. Most people here are Native American, and that is why I am at a loss sometimes. They are not that different than anyone else, but they have a language and etiquette that takes a little time to get used to. I worry I am being rude unintentionally. They stare at me a lot, so I know I don't blend in visually. My mom has lived here for a long time and knows the culture much better.

Anyway, my mom called her a choice name and stated that a person who works in the public like that should learn to keep herself under control a little better. We all have bad days though LOL.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 5:44 am

Why are claws a bad thing?

I clip my nails into points for the sole purpose of making them sharper and more claw-like.

they're very useful for opening all sorts of packaging, as makeshift combs, and have self-defense applications... albeit not very impressive ones.

and in case you are wondering, I have a y chromosome.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 9:46 pm

I keep my nails very long and always have. They're gorgeous! I think she was just jealous! :lol:

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:31 pm

"Cut Yer Claws" sounds like a Frank Zappa song title.