Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 3:54 pm

Really? Why?

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 1:05 am

one does have to keep in mind that not all NT adults fit in the dumb section.
But unfortunately stupidity seems to dominate sometimes. It seems like the dumb ones get louder.

LK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2010, 4:08 am

Why do people make ignorant generalizations about large varied groups?
Really? Why?

While Mr. Kim... has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me.
- Dr. Sheldon Cooper (TBBT)

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 12:48 am

From what I have read, Aspies tend to have a higher than average IQ. A lot higher.

Now, average means average which means that half the population are "below average" which means dumb as dirt.

What scares me is that the people running the world don't seem to be very bright.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 1:06 am

Most people are rather stupid once you move the subject away from what they know about.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 1:28 am

LK wrote:
Why do people make ignorant generalizations about large varied groups?
Really? Why?

Very good question, perhaps it is cultural, perhaps a survey of some sort could indicate some trends, who knows?

I think stupidity [like intelligence] is common throughout humanity, however some people are more persistent about showing it.

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:15 am

RetNet56 wrote:
Really? Why?

That is an unwarranted generalization. There are all sorts of NTs and some of them are rather smart and cool. My Dad (peace upon him) was cool and smart. Alas, my Mom (peace upon her) was a tad neurotic.

ruveyn

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:29 am

Wombat wrote:
From what I have read, Aspies tend to have a higher than average IQ. A lot higher.

Only because the bottom 5% is weeded out and slapped with the HFA label.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2010, 5:24 am

I was watching QI recently, and they said teenagers and adults actually think differently, in a quite literal sense. For example, teenagers apparently use a different part of their brain to identify emotions than adults (and quite often fail to identify said emotion because of this). But regardless, I'm not qualified in any manner to confirm this, but it sounds logical enough to me, heh. Just a point I thought I'd bring up.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:04 am

I always think of "dumb" as applying to one who cannot speak, a mute.

However, used as a derogatory term, I understand what you mean RetNet56. Though I'm sure you don't really believe what you posted.

Perhaps there were some NT adults who pissed you off on Friday?

I know there are quite a few ignorant NT adults who work in education...because some of them sure pissed me off last week! :lol:

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:26 am

The NTs in my life are warm caring people and many of them are very bright indeed. Several NTs have generously helped me navigate social situations. They're brilliant that way, even the kids.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2010, 8:43 am

I think it's ridiculous to support neurodiversity and treat nt's like s**t, as if they're some homogeneous group.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 10:52 am

NT adults are not dumb, but it depends on people in general are brought up and if they were taught or not but also the person themself?
I'm just saying this as just anyone in general.

Know me on the inside before you judge.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2010, 11:00 am

Last edited by wornlight on 10 Oct 2010, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 12:02 pm

sluice wrote:
Most people are rather stupid once you move the subject away from what they know about.

Exactly! You're right on the money.

Kanye West 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2010, 5:12 pm

RetNet56 wrote:
Really? Why?

That depends on what you mean with "dumb"?

If you mean why they aren't constantly talking about opera, sports statistics, academic issues or things like that is that for them, their interests is not their passions, but simply things they like to do or chat about to make them relax and forget their stressful little 9-5 lives. Aspergians on the other hand are mainly living through their interests, whether geeky, more "accepted" or just plain weirdy or nerdy.

Moreover, neurotypicals generally play more dumb than they are, because intelligence in western culture today is seen as a more or less unattractive trait, amongst both males and females though for differing reasons. If you display your superiority in one field, you will yield jealousy, and people could try to hurt or even crush you because they fear what they don't understand and fear that you might take their job.

For neurotypicals, there is always two things going on. Firstly, the surface world, characterised by formalities, work, knowledge (that is what we see in our world too). Then, there's a much more deep layer, characterised by the social game, which is built around forming groups, attracting potential partners, body language, ostracising those who don't fit in, in order to strengthen group cohesion. Such a process is incredible wasteful, but that's how humans tend to be programmed.

I don't find all talk about intelligence to be really helpful. Facts are not equivalent to actual intelligence. Believe me, I have seen quite a lot of intelligent nazis and right-wing libertarians who display two of the most stupid and logically inconsistent ideologies ever thought up within humanity. You could fill software with all the factoids you want, but that's not going to make you any smarter.

Saying all this, my personal opinion - given what I've read and observed - is that human beings in general do act stupid, since they know they shouldn't trash the ecosystems, but nevertheless are doing it as long as they cannot directly feel the consequences of that. The same thing with smokers which know they will get lung cancer, but think "hey, no one's living forever".

I don't know if it's less prevalent in the aspie culture though, since I've encountered a lot of aspies who have been either right-wing libertarians or nazis, two ideologies which if implemented would either put many aspies below bridges, or many aspies in mass graves.