What classes did you take in high school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:34 pm

In Poland there's nothing like that you can make a choice what classes you want to take - everybody learns the same and on the same level, regardless of whether you are a genius or practically verging on the edge of mild retardation. I had 17 classes throughout my 4 high school years (now it's 3 years after the reform of education):

Religion (non compulsory; the final mark wasn't included on the high school final certificate when it comes to the arithmetic mean of the marks achieved)
Polish Literature
English Language
German Language
Defensive Training (on civil defense, giving first aid, elements of public international law on warfare, how to behave while encountering a catastrophe, shooting etc.)
Biology
Geography
History
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Social Studies
Philosophy
Art
P.E.
IT
Basics of Entrepreneurship

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:46 pm

Wow, defensive training... what a good class!

We do core subjects, English, maths, science... nowadays kids have to do religion too. I'm Christian, but I still think, what a waste of subject time... let kids find out about religion at home or from their friends... there's no need for it in school.

I did:
English language,
English literature,
History,
French language,
Russian language,
Maths (I failed)
Biology,
Chemistry,

For A level I did
English Language and Literature
Special English (a higher level than A level)
Ancient History,
French,
General Studies.

Later on I did a German A level.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:48 pm

In high school, I took:

Four years of English (my last year being a Dual Credit course, meaning I received both high school and college credit for it)
Three and a half years of Math (Algebra/Algebra 2, Geometry, and a semester of Statistics)
Three years of Science (Integrated Physics and Chemistry, Biology, and Chemistry)
Four years of Social Studies (World Geography, World History, U.S. History, and Government/Economics)
Two years of Theatre Arts
Three years of Spanish
One year of Journalism
Four years of being on the Yearbook staff, which was a class in of itself
One semester of Creative Writing
One semester of Humanities
A year and a half of Golf

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:57 pm

Here religion class is nothing like your religious studies or whatever it's named in there- it's just roman catholicism and that's all :lol: In the first grades we were taught about Adam and Eve being made of clay by God and the teacher made no mention ever on it's being just a metaphor :lol:

Our defensive training teacher lives exactly across me in a neighboring apartment. Also my IT, philosophy and history teachers live close to me, the same as two of my elementary school teachers.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:27 pm

Didn't go to a high school, went to comprehensive ( 11-16 ) then (at a different place) sixth form ( 16-18 ). Did maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, general studies at A level (though A level general studies was more "turn up on the day, take this fairly easy paper, congrats.") Ho hum. Never liked maths and chemistry was full of tedious rote learning. Physics was alright, had a good physics teacher. Hated sixth form though and hated school before that. Went on to do physics at university.

In retrospect probably got nearly as much education from going to cadets (apart from anything else, that's where I really learned to play brass) as I did from school (not sixth form) as they spent a lot of time at school teaching things I already knew, me being a precocious git and all.

Irulan wrote:
Here religion class is nothing like your religious studies or whatever it's named in there- it's just roman catholicism and that's all :lol: In the first grades we were taught about Adam and Eve being made of clay by God and the teacher made no mention ever on it's being just a metaphor :lol:

I think your teacher was correct, it isn't a metaphor. Whatever primitive goon wrote it meant it quite literally, that is, they really imagined the Supreme Lord and Creator of the infinite universe sculpting a little Man out of playdough, on account of them being pig ignorant about the size and form of the world. One can - if one is so inclined - usefully treat it as if it were a metaphor for some more sane mode of Creation, but it isn't. :wink:

*sigh* The world'd be a better and more Christian place if they taught the Ainulindalë instead... a proper metaphor written by a proper Catholic theologian. :lol:

The year is still young.

Last edited by Ambivalence on 08 Nov 2010, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:36 pm

I had the same lessons like Irulan, but I had classes of Biology, Chemistry and English on advanced level.
I wish we had in PL classes to choose, because I was (and still I am) gifted and I really needed something like in US. Competitions is not enough. I feel wasted.

I hadn't taken any Religion classes, excluding one year when we had it with a woman who teached it like a Philosophy.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:56 pm

^^Greetings everyone.

For my first three happy years of high school I was blessed by the classes:

Science
Mathematics
English
History
Geography
Music
Art
Textiles
Cooking
Design and Technology
Religious Education
Social Education
P.E. (Sport)
I.T. (Computer studies)
French
German (only within the happy third year of these three years)

and perhaps more happy lessons that I may not remember.

For my happy GCSE studies, I studied:

Mathematics
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History
I.T. (A happy GNVQ qualification friend)
Statistics
English Literature
English Language
German

For my happy A-Level studies, I studied:

Physics
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
German (for only one happy year)
General Studies (I believe that I was blessed by the examination for this friend, yet was not blessed by any lessons)

^^ I am now studying happy Mathematics at University.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 7:16 pm

Tomasu, snap! :lol:

The year is still young.

IWantYourSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2010, 6:50 am

Year 7-8:
Maths
English
History
Japanese
P.E
Science
Health
Design & Technology (sewing, woodwork, metalwork, cooking etc)
Social Studies
Geography

Year 9-10:
Commerce
Visual Art
Computer Studies
Maths
English
P.E, but I can't remember
Science

Year 11-12:
Business Studies