What do you think of this situation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 6:46 pm

My younger brother is a big guy at 18 years old and almost 6ft1 and he goes to the gym a lot.

he told me something which happened recently

My brother for a few months started working at this gas station in this rough neighbourhood a few miles a way from our hometown. a lot of people from the area he works in are from the wrong side of the tracks and have never worked or now how to read.

he told me he at the front of the store by the cash machine and for standard regulations he said to this 25 year old man who buying alchol or ciggerates "I need some ID." he then got agressive with my brothe and said "I should slap you for making me give you ID." This guy was kinda big but really from what my brother said he wanted to kill him.

His manger just stood next to me silent without saying a word. the guy left the store and nothing happened.

what do you think of this situation?

My brother can be a bit of a wind up merchant and is often quite moody. he was accused by a customer once for not smiling. so i guess my brother himself can sometimes bring out the bad in people. he brings out the worst in me at least.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 7:07 pm

I think he just has to remember to be polite and say it is store policy. I wouldn't get snappy for one because you never know for sure who the nutcases are. Those type of jobs can be risky when you are dealing with the public. It would have been better if the manager backed him up but that is people for you.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 7:13 pm

his manger has a reputation for being a bit gay.

still though its scum like that we need off our streets. according to my brother he did explain the rules to the customer but its kinda hard since i was not there and my brother can BS about things sometimes.

what i think might have happened is that my brother did not respond accordingly to the situation. its like how receptionists always smile at the customer regardless of thier behaviour. my brother may have looked moody at him and that infuriated the customer even instead of smiling and being as polite as you can be. at least thats what works for me.

As for dealing with the public? that is what most jobs involve and that is life i think its all about choosing a safe place to work and really your just asking for problems if you choose a bad area for work money or not. what is more important money or your life?

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 9:31 pm

I dunno. Regardless of the "regulations" employees often do pick and choose. I just saw a couple clearly in their late 20s/early 30s trying to buy smokes and the dude wouldn't sell to either of them because one forgot an ID. He told them that was the law, and maybe it is, but I've never seen anyone here pull anything like that. If it was a cute girl who was clearly substantially younger and possibly underage he wouldn't card them ever, I go to this station for smokes and/or coffee multiple times a week and I've seen it many times.

And the dude at the store is definitely an as*hole. I went up to him one day and said he should check their 20oz coffee cups because they were too tight in the dispenser and the tops were getting jacked up and the lids wouldn't fit--I brought it up in passing AFTER I had paid for an even larger coffee, which I had bought the cup for (with only 20oz coffee in it cause that's all I wanted) because of the deficiency. He proceeded to lecture me on how exactly to fold down the twisted out ends of the cups so they would fit, and I'm thinking "really dude? I have to be at work in 5 minutes and already have my coffee and I don't care, just said something because I thought you might want to fix it" but all I could say was something like "OK bud, just letting you know".

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 3:15 am

[quote="Jamesy"
what do you think of this situation?
[/quote]

Well duh! If you want to get shot or stabbed then work in a gas station or a convenience store.

It is bound to happen sooner or later.