Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 9:59 pm

there's a large field across the street from the house we'll be moving into soon and I want to add some color to it by spreading wildflower seeds.

Question: what kinds of wildflower species will take just by spreading willy nilly? Also, if you happen to know where one could buy bulk seeds and know how to spread them. I'm thinking one of those hand crank spreaders.

Also, it's not my land but it's not being used for anything, just overgrown with weeds. I'm thinking sometime in the spring going out at midnight on a moonlit night and doing it.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm

Dandelion. Clover. Daisy. Bonus; you can eat them too.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm

Sunflower seeds. At least I think Sunflower seeds grow when you just throw them over. My father use to have some big bird feeders and the birds and squirrels and rats would knock seeds all over the ground and in the spring Sunflowers would grow.

Of course with Sunflowers, it'll bring rats, birds and squirrel's in their dozens, plus you would have to get a whole lot of seeds because a lot of the seeds will be eaten.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 11:57 pm

That's a great idea! Clover spreads easily, but the white clover flowers are one of the only flowers/plants that I've ever found to be actually ugly, so I wouldn't go with that (the purple ones aren't so bad, though). Forgetmenots are quite pretty and I think they take care of themselves fairly well.