Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 11:33 am

Why are a lot of women scared of weightlifting? I am a 21 year old woman and I do weightlifting every day and I have an okay figure. I can bench press 50kg and I can lift (using my biceps - free weights) 7.5kg in each hand. Why is it when I visit a gym, I see all the men "pumping iron" and, more often than not, the women are "weightlifting" on the smallest possible weights? It's stupid. I weightlift and I'm not massive, if that's what women are scared of

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 11:39 am

When I was able to afford a gym membership, I used to find the heaviest hand weights that I could manage and lift those. They weren't the tinest ones that I could find and I was seceretly wishing to bulk up a little.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Nov 2010, 11:57 am

I think it's because of stereotypes.~ guys are more attracted to women who are psychically weak, & women who looks muscular are lesbians

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:26 pm

Thanks all for the replies

I agree with the stereotype hypothesis - when I lived with my parents when I was younger, my Mum confiscated any weights that weighed more than 2kg, stating that I would become "massive" lol. Now I have weights that can go up to 10kg each in my bedroom :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:44 pm

Gender stereotypes are stupid.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:12 pm

Most women look for lean muscles by lifting lighter weights with a high number of reps until the muscle exhausts itself. It is probably better for you to get longer muscles than bulky, bulging muscles anyhow. I rarely lift anywhere near my max these days. Lots of guys and girls go to the gym without really any purpose. Guys will throw up too much weight and cheat to finish, and girls will fling around really light weight like it is having some positive effect if their muscles aren't tiring.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:59 pm

The gym is also a way for people to try & get dates & stuff. Some guys lift heavy weights because they want to impress the women there & some women act like they are weak or don't know what they are doing so they can get guys to spot em. it's a flirting thing

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 11:56 am

I love lifting weights. I used to bench my own weight but I messed up my shoulder and it's taking an aeon to heal :evil:

I think it's pretty sick how it's seen as wrong for women to be physically strong. Strength is useful for everyday tasks and the resistance training is good for your health. It says something about society that the ideal for a woman is to be small, slight, and asthenic (and what it says is not a compliment).

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Nov 2010, 1:10 pm

I can't answer this in an unbiased way, as of course the first thing I would think of when you ask this, is whether or not men find it sexually attractive for women to be weighlifters. My wife is a brown belt in karate, and is in excellent shape. However, she has no masculine traits about her physique. She maintains a toned, firm feminine body type, and I don't think I'd find it as attractive if she were to start having carved arms with veins popping out, or to become very bulked up.

With that said, and with my personal view aside, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman wanting to lift, or even become an amateur or pro bodybuilder. It's good for you, and if it's what you want to do, that's the important part. My viewpoint is skewed since it's natural for me to perceive a woman as the opposite sex, and to evaluate her physical attributes to that thought. After all; if you go for your goals, and you accumulate friends and maybe a relationship while you're on track toward your goals, you will know that those people are genuine, as opposed to holding back or hiding your goals, and getting into friendships and maybe a relationship with someone on an inaccurate portrayal of your true interests and goals.

Charles

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:20 pm

It's stupid. I had gym classes at school and other girls laughed at me that I could lift much more kgs than them. I'm proud I'm strong, because I'm independent and I can do many things myself, without any people.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:34 pm

Looks good to me ! !! !

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:40 pm

I don't think it's fear. I think women generally don't want the kind of body that weightlifting produces.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:46 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I can't answer this in an unbiased way, as of course the first thing I would think of when you ask this, is whether or not men find it sexually attractive for women to be weighlifters. My wife is a brown belt in karate, and is in excellent shape. However, she has no masculine traits about her physique. She maintains a toned, firm feminine body type, and I don't think I'd find it as attractive if she were to start having carved arms with veins popping out, or to become very bulked up.

With that said, and with my personal view aside, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman wanting to lift, or even become an amateur or pro bodybuilder. It's good for you, and if it's what you want to do, that's the important part. My viewpoint is skewed since it's natural for me to perceive a woman as the opposite sex, and to evaluate her physical attributes to that thought. After all; if you go for your goals, and you accumulate friends and maybe a relationship while you're on track toward your goals, you will know that those people are genuine, as opposed to holding back or hiding your goals, and getting into friendships and maybe a relationship with someone on an inaccurate portrayal of your true interests and goals.

Charles

Good post :D
I notice that people who are muscular tend to have more dominate personalities. Lots of guys could be very intimidated by that in a woman. I would be but that's because I'm submissive,, very physically weak, & I'd like a woman to be more on the same level with me

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 2:56 pm

I guess a lot of women are afraid of looking 'manly.' I myself would love to lift weights, as I like the idea of having muscularity. Along with the muscuality, I'd be strong too, and that is a major plus in my book. :D

I think a lot of this 'fear of looking manly' is mostly prevalent in NT women, who are typically afraid of being 'differant.' They are afraid that if they do X or Y, they might not get/ or lose a man, without which, they are helpless and have no worth. (That last sentence is meant as sarcasm. )

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 4:52 pm

Moog wrote:
I don't think it's fear. I think women generally don't want the kind of body that weightlifting produces.

Most women are never going to bulk up. There are exceptions, or people with unusual hormone make up, but a regular woman can put on a small amount of muscle but no more. The most that's going to happen is you'll look lean and harsh rather than smooth. Like Madonna, or Milla Jovovich, lol!

I think it sucks how most women freak out at the idea of putting on muscle 'because it's not sexy/feminine'. WTF? Since when is being sexually attractive more important than your abilities, your personal accomplishment, and something that is good for your health??

Same with being tall. If ONE more young woman whines about being 5'8 or 5'9 'because most guys are the same height as me' I'm going to slap her. :evil:

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 4:55 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
It's stupid. I had gym classes at school and other girls laughed at me that I could lift much more kgs than them. I'm proud I'm strong, because I'm independent and I can do many things myself, without any people.

Those girls suck...why would you deride someone for being strong? Strength is useful. Stupid twits.