Page 1947 of 2525 [ 40392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950 ... 2525  Next

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:08 pm

I like the hashtag #actuallyautistic but I think it's kind of pointless to say #actuallyautistic because people who don't have autism can still say both actually and autistic, and the #actuallyautistic hashtag isn't really enforced.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:26 pm

I'm listening to songs on YouTube that I was listening to, 10 years ago. It's quite fun.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 11:36 pm

I just noticed...

My bank account number is almost a palindrome. 8O

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 11:37 pm

I should take a look at my bank account.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 1:19 am

... Can one cross pollinate chrysanthemums and camomile? :o

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 7:02 pm

Would a saint make a bad trade if the person praying asked them to?

I mean hurt someone in order to improve other things.

Like a sacrifice.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 8:40 pm

Heated topics in Random Discussion.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 2:55 am

doing thing for nothing is still doing things (for them)?
the changing of plans :nerdy: :nerdy:

"ooooouuuuuuuaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooo"
"is that tarzan-panties too tight, uncle donald?"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 3:55 am

Seeing a new sunbird nest forming at the same clothesline at the balcony...

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 11:04 am

I'm getting kind of fed up of the assumption that there's one trajectory through life and that there's always a 'next step' or 'plan for the future'.

I'm always going to be with my folks. New house but still gonna be living in and out of their lives. No 'break away' moment for me.

Even this new house is in my 30s.

My mum is my medical guardian. That means she decides anything medical as far as I'm concerned.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 4:09 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
This particular question...
But I'm not very confident of asking it because damnit, word.

I dunno how to compress this nor said the right words for it.
Responsibility for another wrote:
I'd ask everyone in this forum:

Do any of you guys have the relevant experience in directly handling other cases?
I mean other cases, I mean NDs of varying levels.

Yes, I said handling.
Not just social interactions -- but more to do with accomodating and being responsible for one.

... Though, it doesn't have to be specifically about autistics.
It can be any other cases of disabilities and ND conditions of varying functioning levels.

And not just mere encounters, not just stories in the media.

If yes...
*4; this means you're the kind who provides an ND's daily living needs.
With having the most direct kind of obligation as a guardian, providing with the most direct care.

*3; this means you're likely a professional, who also very likely had to interact with a respective ND's guardian or caretaker.
While you either have years of education and experience, while interacting with other cases knowing the impact of the condition.

*2; likely you may or may not know much about NDs, yet you get to see the impact of the condition everyday. May not be the guardian or the main caretaker, but still have some responsibility over the case.

*1; likely you may or may not be a professional or even a family. Likely a social organizer of sorts.
But for some reason, you get to interact with and have a degree of responsibility towards the NDs under your watch at least in short term.
At this stage, you get to have a taste of what feels like to directly handle a case.

If not...
*1; you're a relative or an acquaintance. May or may not know much about NDs.
But it is likely that you don't live with the NDs in the same roof nor get to see how it affects daily living.
Nor had little to no long term responsibility except maybe patience or tolerance in every meeting.

*2; you know at least one ND. But you don't have to do anything at this case that resembles any caretaking or assisting.
At best, you accommodate or be courteous, more of an equal than a patient. But no more than that.

*3; you only seen at least one ND. And that's mostly it. :shrug:
You may or may not know about this person's name, may or may not hear about this person's case and what he or she can or cannot do.
But you don't really interact much nor extensively or even at all.

*4; you actually never met any ND. If you're one, then you never met any other. At best, you heard stories in the media or read/watch stuff online.
But not once truly known what it was like to be physically present with other cases.

Other; you're a caretaker of another. Likely at least a parent of one.
Likely been a caretaker of a patient of some condition, which may or may not be an ND by any means. And if it is, the ND status under your care isn't highly relevant.
Likely a professional of another domain or a professional who yet to had any experience.
You may or may not know much about handling another ND.

Also explain your choices. :lol:

My choice;
Yes*1
From time to time, I get to assist my SPED teacher with her students.
And a very few happened to be my somewhat-batchmates, whom I've known for at least 10+ years now.

Some autistics, some are not. None of them are aspies. :twisted: Not even close.

I've been in few incidents, encountered issues myself, and known some difficulty.
Obviously, this is nothing compared to those who had to cater their needs, let alone those who live under the roof with them. :lol:

Yeah.
I've been wondering... :lol:

I’m No*2, I attended a social skills class with other NDs for several years (technically still a part of the class, I think, but haven’t been in about a year because of COVID/treatment for my lymphoma), and have spent several periods of approximately one week at an overnight summer camp with many other NDs, sharing a cabin with a group of other female NDs in my age group. But I’m on the receiving end of the caregiving.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 4:27 pm

I wish disclosing my diagnosis was an option for me instead of a necessity. I hate coming off as obviously developmentally disabled. I don’t have to tell most people in order to be treated like a child, bullied, or discriminated against. Yet at the same time, I get held to standards I can never hope to meet, constantly fail despite going in with high hopes and really, truly giving it my all, then told I’m not trying hard enough, don’t care, and/or simply don’t want to do the thing in question. Worst of both worlds, I guess, lucky me :roll:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 4:37 pm

Why can't you pass?

I don't know your whole story. :o

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 5:48 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Why can't you pass?

I don't know your whole story. :o

I honestly don’t know entirely myself, which is part of the problem, I don’t know what I need to “fix.” I have a very hard time talking to people I don’t know well, can usually only muster one-word answers to questions, if that. I can’t really explain how, but I think even when I do talk, my voice sounds odd. My mom’s commented on the fact that I’m usually looking down, which is one of the ways I avoid sensory overload. Usually I’m stimming in at least one way, sometimes more obviously than others (though I try to keep it subtle in public). Probably appear to not be super aware of my surroundings and stuff, but actually I’m hyperaware and busy taking everything in. Beyond that, I’m not really sure. But I do notice that people treat me “differently” a lot of the time. I don’t know if it’s just my speech (or lack thereof) or what.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:29 pm

I always use my days off to cool down from all the stress I built up during the rest of the week, but it prevents me from really seizing the day and getting in the mood to do fun things. I just sit around and accomplish nothing with a whole day's worth of time and I feel bloody terrible about it.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 8:42 pm

Turns out, I'm actually a massive cliche ... :lol: