Anyone else experienced the "Great Blackout of '03"

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 9:23 pm

I am talking about the blackout in August 2003 that affected parts of Eastern Canada and USA.

It was my first time experiencing a prolonged blackout and I actually thought I was gonna die.

I didn't know that a blackout wasn't "the end of the world".

My mum didn't really help either. She said "you will see God in Heaven if we die" as if we were actually gonna die. It wasn't afterwards that my mum told me that during her childhood in Hong Kong blackouts happened all the time and it was for such a long time that trucks with clean water would arrive to their local area so people can go "stalk up" on the water supply.

I don't know why my mum tricked me like that. Lots of damage has been done to myself as a result of the stress. As mentioned above, she knew well that "things were gonna be OK" since she experienced it during her childhood.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm

I didn't experience it as I live close to the West Coast, but I do remember watching it on the news and reading about it on the Internet and in the paper.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Feb 2011, 1:04 am

I thought the great blackout was when hurricane Katrina hit & we were without power for 3 weeks

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:09 am

I experienced the 2 week blackout of the Auckland CBD in 1998.

Really ****ed up my lessons and we had to cram more work into less time. I failed several subjects.