Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:08 pm

I have a dress a bit like this
it has a pleated chifon skirt and fitted body but is a bit longer and the bodice bit is longer

and I want to wear it tomorrow, but my children say it makes me look fat and I should wear something else.

it is a bit tight/fitted and I am quite fat so Im feeling really awful about how I look. I dont know whether I should wear it or whether I look awful and everyone will think how fat I look.

Im not sure if it is too tight or ok and what the limit on appropriate tightness is. When i googled images of dresses to get an idea, there was lots of variation with some women such as beyonce wearing dresses very tight and others wearing them looser.

Im confused whats your opinion?

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:11 pm

the dress look very nice. black almost always looks good.
i'm no fashionista though..

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:23 pm

I think as long as the loose chiffon skirt part is above your hips, it should be ok. If the loose chiffon starts in the middle of the hips than do something else.

Ever since I gave birth, my hips got wider. I assume that happened with you too. So I wear dresses that are fitted on top and loose starting right above the hip.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:34 pm

Janissy wrote:
I think as long as the loose chiffon skirt part is above your hips, it should be ok. If the loose chiffon starts in the middle of the hips than do something else.

Ever since I gave birth, my hips got wider. I assume that happened with you too. So I wear dresses that are fitted on top and loose starting right above the hip.

its fitted till about mid hip/naval. you reckon I should wear something else then? its going to be stressful finding something else :? I shall have a rumage in my walldrobe.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

Thing is, it shows your upper arms quite a lot and if they are a bit flabby, the whole thing looks unflattering.
Bit more flesh around the waistline could also be a problem. I would recommend wearing this particular dress only to very thin people or normal-sized people who have a nice narrow waist and smallish bosom.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:58 pm

Severus wrote:
Thing is, it shows your upper arms quite a lot and if they are a bit flabby, the whole thing looks unflattering.
Bit more flesh around the waistline could also be a problem. I would recommend wearing this particular dress only to very thin people or normal-sized people who have a nice narrow waist and smallish bosom.

my arms are quite fat and I have giant boobs so I wont wear it then :(

Im not sure I look better in anything else I have either, maybe I wont go out, I feel so bad.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 6:09 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
Severus wrote:

Im not sure I look better in anything else I have either, maybe I wont go out, I feel so bad.

Oh no :cry: Don't let this stop you. Maybe you can accessorize like the woman in the picture except get a much wider shawl. A nice shawl will cover upper arm jiggle.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 6:23 pm

I got my daughter to take some photos with my mobile and it does make me look fat :(

I shall wear my brown dress instead which I know looks flattering.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 7:20 pm

I'd have to see you in it to form an opinion because I have a hard time imagining you in it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 8:28 pm

Who cares? Just wear it, anyways. Be proud of your body. :)

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 5:23 am

Janissy wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Severus wrote:

Oh no :cry: Don't let this stop you. Maybe you can accessorize like the woman in the picture except get a much wider shawl. A nice shawl will cover upper arm jiggle.

I was thinking about this too. Maybe if you can get a nice large shawl you could cover the exposed areas and since the lower part of the dress is floaty, it would look good on you.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 5:49 am

It doesn't seem to be a terribly flattering dress, but if you feel good in it f**k everyone else :)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 6:21 am

You could always get a Spanx bodysuit or something to wear underneath.