Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 8:49 am

As everyone knows, on the eastcoast of the U.S., the sun is rising earlier and setting later thus more daylight. I have a question about the sunrise and sunset. The sun rises in the east but as the spring season approaches, do it bear more in any particular direction. For example, does it travel more toward NE or SE or NW or SW as we move closer to spring? And I have the same question for the sunset? If anyone wants to add their astronomical knowledge, I sure would appreciate it.

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2011, 5:10 pm

In Summer the sun rises in the NE and sets in the NW. The further north you go the more pronounced it is. The Arctic circle is the furthest south you can see the midnight sun (in the northern hemisphere) and the further north of the circle you go the more 24hrs of daylight you get. At the north pole the sun doesn't set it just goes around in a big circle above your head.

But then again the sun doesn't move, earth moves.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 8:11 pm

FTM wrote:
In Summer the sun rises in the NE and sets in the NW. The further north you go the more pronounced it is. The Arctic circle is the furthest south you can see the midnight sun (in the northern hemisphere) and the further north of the circle you go the more 24hrs of daylight you get. At the north pole the sun doesn't set it just goes around in a big circle above your head.

But then again the sun doesn't move, earth moves.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 8:53 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
As everyone knows, on the eastcoast of the U.S., the sun is rising earlier and setting later thus more daylight. I have a question about the sunrise and sunset. The sun rises in the east but as the spring season approaches, do it bear more in any particular direction. For example, does it travel more toward NE or SE or NW or SW as we move closer to spring? And I have the same question for the sunset? If anyone wants to add their astronomical knowledge, I sure would appreciate it.

The rising sun describes an arc across the sky between the winter solstice and the summer solstice.
They knew that over 4000 years ago when they built Stonehenge.

The Egyptians and the Mayans knew that too.