post something Quite Interesting..

Page 84 of 96 [ 1524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 96  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 9:29 pm

the rescued grayhounds i've seen, seem to have been aware of their good fortune, and palpably appreciative.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 6:01 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRt-KHGLxMY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2012, 7:00 am

This is the sort of thing that I always wish people would update their facebook statuses with. SO much more interesting than hearing the same political rhetoric OVER AND OVER AGAIN... *ahem*

Didja know that some mushrooms glow in the dark? It's true! Scientists speculate that they do this in order to attract insects, who would then spread their spores. Read more about it here and here

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 8:33 am

Didja know that a seventeen foot, seven inch long Burmese Python was found in Florida?
Didja know that she had eighty seven eggs in her, ready to lay?
Just makes you want to run barefoot through the Florida swamps, doesn't it?

Sylkat :wink:

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

Chickens don't have to mate with a rooster to lay eggs. Over the centuries of domestication, we've made it so that many breeds will lay up to an egg a day. They continue to lay every day, assuming that every egg must be fertile. However, when you try to take them away, they usually don't seem to mind- probably because they can always lay another.

Chickens also love to eat their own raw eggs. They're usually not bright enough to crack them for themselves (though they could), but if you drop one on the ground they instinctively come running.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 5:50 am

Another film for yous. Think I've given up talking on wp, takes too damn long.. Anyways, hope it is quite interesting.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnZdFPhnqX4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 6:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASXR-uNDEII&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

physicsnut42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2012, 8:23 am

Did you know that a society called the brotherhood built themselves around the fact that all numbers are rational, even though the greeks had already proved square root of 2 to be irrational?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 6:59 pm

No one knows where Genghis Khan was buried.
The tomb or grave has been sought for 500 years,but no trace ever found.

Sylkat

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 4:19 am

It's said that a baby camel was killed in front of his mother at genghis' grave so that the mother would remember the spot. Also was said that many thousands of people were executed to keep his grave a secret. Also because of the exponential growth of descendants as one traces ancestry back in time he ought to be related to a huge chunk of Asia. plus he had many many wives so seems even more likely. His given name was temujin.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 9:35 am

The more that I read about him, the more I conclude that he was one scary guy.

Sylkat

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

Some stuff about fudo. that I posted elsewhere, but wanted to put it here too so there.

Fudo is one of the many names for the deity that started his buddhist life as Acala vidyaraja. Literally "the immovable wisdom king" as close as is meant. Fudo is the Japanese equivalent of Acala. It means literally "the immovable one" fudo is associated with various sects & buddhist groups across Asia by many names and incarnation/avatars including some quite bizarre forms with up to 1000 arms at least 3 heads and a variety of weapons. He also has quite a few secret names. It is customary in some buddhist practice to hide the intended meaning for some smaller rituals/mantras/mudras etc. Fudo, for instance, does not really represent violence. Purity, freedom from passions and delusions of life. He is a protector. In his right hand he holds Kurikara, Kurikara is an annoyingly complex piece of iconography if ever there was one. For one thing the name could mean many things "black dragon, black steel/metal" etc it is it is a vajra& vidya weapon vajra meaning literally "diamond/thunder" (fudo and many like him are associated with vajrayana Buddhism). Vidya meaning wisdom light knowledge etc.it's also a further embodiment of fudo and Kurikara the dragon. Who like fudo, is at once a separate entity and at one with the sword. He is often depicted trying to swallow the sword, the dragon that is, not fudo. The sword is used to destroy delusion and protect those on the path to enlightenment, as well as those on the vajrayana and various other "paths" and practices. The sword also symbolises wisdom in the dragon trying to swallow the sword, or occasionally itself. Signifying wisdom overcoming violence, aggression and/or passion. and that's just his right hand.. :)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 12:28 pm

Walt Disney had a difficult time raising the money to build Disneyland. Actually his brother Roy had the difficulty. Roy spent his life finding funding for Walt's projects. Roy worked very hard on getting the money for Disneyland.That was the beginning of the Disney television show. The deal was for cash up front for Disney to do a one hour show every week, which of course Walt turned into adverts for Disneyland.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 11:36 pm

And when 'Fantasia' was first released, the critics hated it, and the movie was a flop.
Decades later, it was finally recognized as a masterpiece.

Sylkat

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 9:06 am

Forgot to say before. Series J of QI is now running.

Here's the first XL episode. A particularly funny affair. :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URgiKGmJ-G0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 9:11 am

And the regular edit.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmCy9YgPMQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]