Page 2415 of 2549 [ 40782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2412, 2413, 2414, 2415, 2416, 2417, 2418 ... 2549  Next

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

kevinjh wrote:
I think I may have found the fruit fly spawning area. Whatever shall I do....
Oh snap, fruit flies. Yeah, don't ever let fruit lying around in an open space. Happened at work once. Forgot to empty an open trashcan with fruit leftovers and we were closed for a week. When I came back there were fruit flies everywhere. 8O How did your fruit fly spawning area start? Same thing?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

26 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

I see.......

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:20 pm

Andras wrote:
kevinjh wrote:
Oh snap, fruit flies. Yeah, don't ever let fruit lying around in an open space. Happened at work once. Forgot to empty an open trashcan with fruit leftovers and we were closed for a week. When I came back there were fruit flies everywhere. 8O How did your fruit fly spawning area start? Same thing?

A suitemate left a bag of bread slightly open for a few weeks. This is, naturally, worsened by the dumping of unsealed, fermenting organic matter* in the trash can. Even worse, the trash is typically taken out a few days after the pests show up.

Fortunately, now that their main spawning site (the trash can) has been repeatedly gassed and their alternate spawning site (the bag of bread) has been sealed in a large plastic bag and removed, the remaining adults are dropping like flies in vinegar-soap traps. The problem should clear up in less than a week unless someone leaves out more fermenting organics (like some suitemate's dishes that never seem to get washed or those salads with the over-ripe tomatoes).

* I think this is part of the reason for why the fruit fly feeding lab here uses a yeast broth which incidentally smells nothing like my starter

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:38 pm

kevinjh wrote:
Andras wrote:
kevinjh wrote:
Fortunately, now that their main spawning site (the trash can) has been repeatedly gassed and their alternate spawning site (the bag of bread) has been sealed in a large plastic bag and removed, the remaining adults are dropping like flies in vinegar-soap traps. The problem should clear up in less than a week unless someone leaves out more fermenting organics (like some suitemate's dishes that never seem to get washed or those salads with the over-ripe tomatoes).
Good luck with that! I fear your suitemate might be creating new spawners for the fruit flies. D:

As for me, I got trolled again by a bird. While I was driving a bird shat right onto my front window at my view. What did I ever do to you birds!? :cry:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

I'm just here waiting for my appointment @ 3 PM my time.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:52 pm

Andras wrote:
kevinjh wrote:
Andras wrote:
kevinjh wrote:
Good luck with that! I fear your suitemate might be creating new spawners for the fruit flies. D:

As for me, I got trolled again by a bird. While I was driving a bird shat right onto my front window at my view. What did I ever do to you birds!? :cry:
Are there huge flocks of birds there?

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 4:03 pm

kevinjh wrote:
Andras wrote:
kevinjh wrote:
Andras wrote:
kevinjh wrote:

Are there huge flocks of birds there?
Yeah. There usually aren't many here in February but everything is super early this year due to the hot winter. It's already full spring. But never has bird poo been so troublesome. :P

I noticed you seem to have experience in programming language. You ever made games?

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm

Yes, but all of them are either ad hoc programming anti-examples or barely started. I have not (yet) taken programming clases, so I think most of what I know about programming simply comes from trying to make this laptop behave more appropriately (e.g. near-arbitrary backlight brightnes in steps of ~0.02%), run more efficiently (e.g. underclocking), and expose more data (e.g. a battery life script which also calculates wattage).

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

I have no idea about all this mumbo-jumbo you guys are talking about.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 1:09 am

28282 posts? Congratulations, equestriatola! :o

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 8:15 am

Ten returns to the clean chatroom. It hasn't been that long though I do lose track of time

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

And I'm back again. :D

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 10:24 am

(wow that is many posts!) and I join here.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

Welcome to the Clean chatroom Lumi! It's been very quiet here today so it's not very chatty at the moment. It's the CLEAN chatroom meaning no curse words. Use curse words and your dirty mouth will be cleaned with soap. :P

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

And kevinjh will mail chlorinated fruit flies to your home.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

I do not swear when I speak, write...chlorinated fruit flies, are they frozen?