how many countries have you been to?

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 2:59 am

lanzarote, malta, mainland spain, italy, france, turkey, cyprus & antigua..
possibly tenerife & portugal too, can't remember.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 2:28 pm

Wales, England, Scotland, France, Germany, Poland, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, Luxembourg...that's it, I think.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 2:53 pm

Tequila wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Henbane wrote:
I've lived in many parts of England, Scotland, N. Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

I've been to France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Greece inc. Crete, Israel, Egypt, USA. Possibly Canada too, but I'm not entirely sure. And I waved at Greenland from a plane. And Wales too. Although technically that's part of England. Or England is part of Wales. Or something. (looks questioningly at Tequila)

Wales, England, Scotland snd Northern Ireland are separate countries, within the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Wales, Scotland and NI have their own governments/assemblies, but also have MPs in the UK government, based in London. For some reason, England doesn't have it's own separate government. Some people say 'England' when they are actually referring to the UK, which really annoys some of us Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. :x
I'm Scottish and I've included the other 3 countries of the UK in my list.

Yes, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not independent, sovereign states. They are regions of the UK with their own autonomy.

What really pisses off the English, apart from feeling that they're never really allowed to be English, is the fact that they're paying for advantages for the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish that they themselves don't get and the fact that non-English UK MPs can vote on English matters without the reverse being true due to those matters in large part being devolved to the assemblies.

It's as though the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish just want the English to keep paying the bills. A lot of English people have become very resentful of this attitude (combined with the often anti-English attitude of the Scottish) and so there is now very little appetite for Unionism in Britain where previously there was much greater desire for it.

I was only trying to point out that Wales is not part of England and England is not part of Wales, as the poster wasn't sure. I explained it without bias. I don't agree with non English MPs being allowed to vote on matters that don't affect them either.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 2:54 pm

All, so no point in making any lists. :wink:

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 3:59 pm

Tequila wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Henbane wrote:
I've lived in many parts of England, Scotland, N. Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

I've been to France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Greece inc. Crete, Israel, Egypt, USA. Possibly Canada too, but I'm not entirely sure. And I waved at Greenland from a plane. And Wales too. Although technically that's part of England. Or England is part of Wales. Or something. (looks questioningly at Tequila)

Wales, England, Scotland snd Northern Ireland are separate countries, within the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Wales, Scotland and NI have their own governments/assemblies, but also have MPs in the UK government, based in London. For some reason, England doesn't have it's own separate government. Some people say 'England' when they are actually referring to the UK, which really annoys some of us Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. :x
I'm Scottish and I've included the other 3 countries of the UK in my list.

Yes, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not independent, sovereign states. They are regions of the UK with their own autonomy.

What really pisses off the English, apart from feeling that they're never really allowed to be English, is the fact that they're paying for advantages for the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish that they themselves don't get and the fact that non-English UK MPs can vote on English matters without the reverse being true due to those matters in large part being devolved to the assemblies.

It's as though the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish just want the English to keep paying the bills. A lot of English people have become very resentful of this attitude (combined with the often anti-English attitude of the Scottish) and so there is now very little appetite for Unionism in Britain where previously there was much greater desire for it.

I actually agree with a lot of these points,although depending on how figures are presented London gets more subsidies than Scotland.
Maybe London merits the extra investment,I don't know how it's worked out.The issue of non-English MPs voting on English matters is certainly unfair and it was a Scottish MP,Tam Dalyell,who was prominent among those raising the issue.
One of the things that has confused matters is that until recently,many English people have been quite happy for the terms 'British' and
'English' or 'UK and 'England' to be used interchangeably.This turns out to be counter-productive because England proper doesn't always get the recognition it should.
It's true that some of my fellow Scots seem to have a chip on their shoulder,but they are in a minority and polls consistently show 66% against breaking up the UK- at the moment anyway. If we go back in history the bonds are closer than most people realise,e.g. the ancient Scottish kingdom of Strathclyde reached past Merseyside to north Wales,while the English kingdom of Northumberland included Edinburgh. Even the greatest Scottish heroes had surprisingly cosmopolitan backgrounds -Braveheart William Wallace's own surname indicates 'Welsh',Robert The Bruce was of Norman French descent and Bonnie Prince Charlie was raised in Italy !

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 5:27 pm

My point is this: either we're a united Union with each UK MP being at licence to vote on any matter concerning the United Kingdom or not. You can't tell the English that the Scots can vote on your laws but you can't vote on theirs: it's madness and is a massive breeding ground for resentment. Particularly when the English are paying for benefits and services that they themselves don't get.

It's saying that 20% of the people of the country deserve better treatment than the other 80%.

I don't mind non-English MPs voting on English matters as long as English MPs can do likewise. If they can't, then the English are getting a raw deal and are right to be angry.

The non-English parts of the UK need to be cut down to size IMHO.

The Scottish are allowed to be Scottish, the Welsh are allowed to be Welsh, the Northern Irish are allowed to be, well, whatever it is they are (he says with a smirk) but the English can't be English. Or British. Or anything. If they are, they're BNP supporters, xenophobes, ethnic nationalists, racists, fascists. But the same is not true up in Scotland.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 7:04 pm

Tequila wrote:
The Scottish are allowed to be Scottish, the Welsh are allowed to be Welsh, the Northern Irish are allowed to be, well, whatever it is they are (he says with a smirk) but the English can't be English. Or British. Or anything. If they are, they're BNP supporters, xenophobes, ethnic nationalists, racists, fascists. But the same is not true up in Scotland.

It's probably because of England's history of being obnoxious, land-thieving bastardiaid.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 7:14 pm

As well as the Scottish, the Welsh and the Irish (all of it was British before 1922).

So blaming the British Empire solely on the English is wrong. The Irish were frequently colonial soldiers, and even today there is quite a high army recruitment rate in Northern Ireland. A lot of Irishmen prefer to join the British Army rather than the Irish one.

The Scottish were much more often colonial people under the British Empire than the English given the population size.

Asperger_Funcional
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2011, 7:19 pm

YourMother wrote:
Tequila wrote:

It's probably because of England's history of being obnoxious, land-thieving bastardiaid.

Damn dude, you've just hit the nail in the head, I couldn't have expressed it myself in a better way :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 7:21 pm

The Spanish are only jealous because of their irredentist, pointless claim on Gib.

And Spain was a colonial power too, though a much smaller one in comparison with Britain. Conquistadores ring any bells?

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 7:27 pm

If you concider the UK as a whole ignore the content of the brackets.

1,Greece.
2, USA.
3, UK. (3, Northern Ireland. 4, England 5, Wales.)
4 (6), Hungary.
5 (7), Turkey.
6 (8), Spain.
7 (9). France.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 12:15 am

zen_mistress wrote:
I went to the Vatican City too but I dont usually count that unless I am filling out some sort of official list.

Technically though, it is a country. :)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 12:20 am

Someday I will be a world traveller, but not today....

I am from Canada (live in Nova Scotia, also been to New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec....and landed in the Toronto airport, but that is all. Also I lived in the Yukon for 3 1/2 months one summer.)

Only other country I have been to in the United States (been to Alaska, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida....and visited the airports in Seattle and Chicago).

Had to list the provinces/states...makes me little list seem just a bit longer! LOL If all goes as planned, next May I am going to Hawaii too.

Someday I want to travel to every continent!

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2011, 2:06 am

England (and it's little parasitic depedencies of scotland and wales)
Norway
Sweden
Denmark
Latvia
Lithuania
Poland
Germany
Holland
Belgium
France
Luxemberg
Switzerland
Italy
Spain
Portugal
All by motorbike :D

Brazil (borrowed a motorbike)
Kenya

Russia
Cyprus
Yemen
All in transit.

christian77
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2011, 5:22 pm

Poland, Austria, Luxemburg, France, Great Britain, Spain, Turkey, Canada, United States, China, Taiwan, Japan

Makes a total of 12.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 9:24 pm

I know that I've been to Nigeria, Venezuela, Kuwait, Peru, Holland, England, Norway, Sweden, and Egypt but I might have visited other countries too.