Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 4:16 am

This makes me seem as if I'm on the wrong planet.
Seems to me everyone is obsessed with celebrities. What they're wearing, how fat or thin they are, who they're having sex with, if they're pregnant, how many babies they have, if they're getting divorced, who they're having affairs with, what drugs they're on, where they're living and how much it cost, their life stories, pictures of them - basically everything about them. People make a point of emulating them and copying them. People seem to have opinions on them, sometimes strong opinions.
Maybe it's just me but I don't care about celebrities. If someone was in a film I watched and I thought they played the part well, I might be more inclined to watch other films they're in. That's it. I have no inclination to copy them, or any interest in their personal business. Just their work.
What is with the celebrity obsession?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 11:16 am

I share the sentiment. I have no idea why people are interested in celebrities and their lives, I have a complete lack of interest in it.

The closest thing I come to an interest is wanting to read more books of an author I have liked previous books of, and that's because the books are good, not because I take any interest in the author. Another thing that makes no sense for me personally, is why some people will become interested in someone famous because they like their music, books, whatever. For me, liking the music/books doesn't transform into wondering what the artist/author is like, it's only their art that I am interested in, not the person behind it.

When my father talks about new movies or movies that are aired on a channel, he'll often say "X is in it", and both my mother and I will be "and?", because we only care about the plot. My maternal grandmother loved that kind of stuff and regularly read a celeb gossip mag.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 2:22 pm

Same. I can name more prestigious scientists then actors/actresses, and I don't get why people make such a big deal out of things like this.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 2:37 pm

I'll admit this: From 2008-2011, I had chance encounter after chance encounter with actors and/or actresses who were in Portland promoting a movie, TV show, or filming something in Portland. Thankfully in late 2011, my family helped me snap out of my sense of celebrity worship, which IMO, should be viewed as a form of schiziophernia.

{Don't get me wrong, I like some actors and actresses, but like many, I rather contemplate about better things than the personal lives of celebrities.}

boeing.angrybird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Sep 2016, 2:50 pm

I do not really understand the obsession with celebrities either. People will mention a celebrity to me and I often don't know who they are talking about. I am actually given a hard time about it a lot from a few different NT because I do not know who a lot of celebrities are.

Loves: Airplanes, Angry Birds, Ancient Egypt and Weather Patterns

http://ab-myaspielife.blogspot.com/
Check out my blog!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 2:51 pm

I LOVE celebrities----can't get ENOUGH of 'em----I don't know why.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 2:57 pm

Celebrities are a business that helps the sell sports, movies, products, and services.

People will watch a game or movie so they can see their favorite celebrity at work. And people get paid for putting together shows or magazines or whatever so people can learn more about celebrities.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 4:49 pm

i find sexy female celebrities way hotter than p0rno, because of the indirect thing.
i don't lik when women make it clear that they are whores.

i mean a normal attractive woman wearing a sexy revealing dress and trying to cover her nipples is way way hotter than being topless u know what i mean?

other than that i don't know if they r singing or acting it doesn't matter to me

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 4:59 pm

Not everyone is like them.
Most people are actually too busy with their own lifes to care what celebrities do. It's not as bad as you describe - at least among people I know. Perhaps it's because I am not interested in celebrities and people around me know that so they don't speak about any actors or singers around me. Well. My mom sometimes mentions "Look! Michał Szpak in on 2nd program! Hurry! Hurry!" but she gives up as soon as I say "So what? Not interested".

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

boeing.angrybird wrote:
I do not really understand the obsession with celebrities either. People will mention a celebrity to me and I often don't know who they are talking about.
I'm exactly the same in that regard.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 5:29 am

I'm so apathetic about famous figures, whether present or past, that I don't bother recalling their name! I won't make a good historian. :lol:

Why the lack of interest on my part? Because I just see them all as another human being. I don't get it why make a huge deal out of their lives, even if they're live on an extraordinary lives or had a odd or complex backstories. I can't see them as 'models' either nor see them as significant or special.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 4:41 pm

Where I live celebrities are much less of a big deal, although a lot of us know the names of entertainers born in Canada who are now working in the states. But I can name at least one whom many of us don't consider a celebrity at all, and it seems like Americans love blaming us on him even though they have so many American celebrities not worth celebrating about at all, and there are others who are from Canada that have gotten a lot more positive press. American's obsession with celebrities is bizarre, creepy, and just plain stupid. Especially the ones who are famous only for being famous, like Paris Hilton, whom they used to care a million times more about than stuff in the world that's actually important, like the environment and making peace. Stupid society.

A movie comes out and the first thing they want to know is who's acting in the movie and not how the actual movie itself is. I personally do not care, I only want to know if the movie is any good and if I do recognize a celebrity voice in animated movies it's mainly because they actually did a good job playing the character. In fact most celebrity voices I couldn't care less about otherwise except for when they did a good job playing an animated character.

I tend to admire authors, artists and inventors, but it's their work I'm into and not their personal lives. Most of them are dead now, or have been for years. And many if not most of them had a disability of some kind but Americans and the world in general don't care they want their kids to be "normal" so they commit murder on children who are "defective" and then society pities them instead of locking them up. God, the world is horrible. :evil:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Sep 2016, 9:43 pm

I never really cared about or paid attention to celebrities except I had/have a mega huge crush on one & fell in love with her. She's very wholesome which is extremely rare with celebs. I think most are horrible role models.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Closet_Genius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2016, 2:39 am

I don't understand it either. They're just regular people. I actually met a player from the Stl Cardinals when I was selling meat. They had just moved to they're new house and the only thing I was excited about was how much money I could make off him. I sold him everything including the freezer. Made $600 that day :lol:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 3:33 am

I love how the media trots them out to give political talking points as if theirs have any greater weight than yours or mine.

But yes, I don't understand why people are so interested in them as persons -- liking their work is one thing, and understandable, but as people?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 6:23 am

Kiriae wrote:
Not everyone is like them.
Most people are actually too busy with their own lifes to care what celebrities do. It's not as bad as you describe - at least among people I know. Perhaps it's because I am not interested in celebrities and people around me know that so they don't speak about any actors or singers around me. Well. My mom sometimes mentions "Look! Michał Szpak in on 2nd program! Hurry! Hurry!" but she gives up as soon as I say "So what? Not interested".

I have a similar experience to this, but most people I know have too much going on in their lives to take such an obsessive interest in what others do.

What puzzles me on the other hand it's how many hold such people to a much higher standard then themselves, as if having musical or acting talent comes with the obligation to be a "role model" or some kind of paragon of virtue. They also don't seem to understand the kind of sacrifices and huge demands most successful artists and ALL successful athletes deal with. It looks like it became some kind of hobby to throw stones at famous people and feel self-righteous about it :?