Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 8:23 am

It seems a lot of aspies get pissy when people don't reply to instant messages they send.

Am I alone here on this issue?
I hate talking in instant messages. I feel to pressured to reply, and too quickly.
And one on one conversation *really* strains me compared to talking to two or more people at the same time.

I ask this because a lot of aspies seem to love one on one. I just can't understand it.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 8:31 am

I can find them a bit opressive at times

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 8:47 am

I'm probablythe other way. Although if I actually received a lot of messages I might get overwhelmed. one to one is a lot easier generally,unless sillies then it doesn't really matter. Ironically I prefer face to face nowadays,despite not liking being looked at or volume of average voice etc.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 9:31 am

I find it's hard to manage especially when I'm trying to multitask.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Feb 2012, 9:44 am

I like IM but the only program I use is Yahoo Messenger & I haven't chatted with anyone on there in a while. I usually only chat with one person on there at a time & I don't do much else while I'm chatting so I can focus better on chatting with them. It takes me a while to type out my messages sometimes due to my bad typing, not being sure what to say, dyslexia & ADD/ADHD but I've gotten a lot better at it than I was 10 yeas ago when I 1st got net & chatted with people. I don't get pissy about people not chatting with me on there but most people don't log in to Yahoo & set their status to available unless they are in a chatting mood.
I've been chatting with more people on PMs here lately. I don't reply rite away to them because I try to think about what I want to say a bit 1st. I try to have better quality with PMs. People aren't usually expecting replies rite away on PMs & there is room to say a lot more in the message than with an IM. I rather use Yahoo if I'm chatting with someone a lot who's online at the same time as me. I also like text messaging; that's kind of between IMs & PMs for me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 10:17 am

i think they can be scary

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:02 am

hale_bopp wrote:
It seems a lot of aspies get pissy when people don't reply to instant messages they send.

I hate talking in instant messages. I feel to pressured to reply, and too quickly.
And one on one conversation *really* strains me compared to talking to two or more people at the same time.

I ask this because a lot of aspies seem to love one on one. I just can't understand it.

So why use it?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:37 am

I much prefer them to PMs, but even then, I can't use them for long. If I could have my way, I'd have phone conversations instead.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:42 am

On the contrary, it's my preferred method of online communication

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:58 am

I don't like it. More often than not, I'm not in the mood to chat. Even when my brother pops up on FaceBook chat, I think, "Crap, now I have to think of stuff to say".

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

League_Girl wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

So why use it?

I don't. That's the point.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

I think I find all forms of communication lacking, except for maybe a snowball to the side of the head.

IM= instant recognition that I'M boring and have nothing really to say.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Yes, I relate to this so much! I don't see how people can stand it! Even other Aspies like it, but it just stresses me out.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

It depends on the person. I'm comfortable talking with a couple of people on one-on-one IM (and I'm okay in group IM...) However, if someone I don't know well or someone I'm not all that comfortable talking to IMs me on one-on-one IM, I get all freaked out and sign off. Then I spend like, 5 minutes getting my heart rate back to normal. :oops:

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 2:07 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
It depends on the person. I'm comfortable talking with a couple of people on one-on-one IM (and I'm okay in group IM...) However, if someone I don't know well or someone I'm not all that comfortable talking to IMs me on one-on-one IM, I get all freaked out and sign off. Then I spend like, 5 minutes getting my heart rate back to normal. :oops:

aw. me too

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

I hate them. I've had people I've met online, people who I actually liked quite a bit, pretty much stop talking to me because I sucked so hard at it. I don't know what to say when I'm in the moment. Of course they'd take my short responses, and the long time it took me to make them, as a sign that I wasn't into the conversation when it was really very much the opposite. I definitely prefer talking to people on a message board, through private messages if the conversation is more personal, because it gives me the time to think through what they've said and come up with a worthwhile response.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View