Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm

With so many topics about parents wondering how to play or what to play with their children, what toys are cool and such, I thought this could be interesting to see who played with what as a child and who still plays with them.
And because traditionally boys usually have boy toys and girls usually have girl toys, I thought it would also be interesting to see just how much we all break the traditional roles when it came to the toys we liked playing with.

I am a female, and I still adore the boys and their toys

Boy Toys

Meccano

Lego

Anchor Stone Blocks

Metal Tonka Trucks – heavy and I got in trouble because of one

Lincoln Logs

Boom Balls (name?) we could throw them on the ground and they went boom and exploded – we were not allowed to play with them any longer when we figured out how to blow things up – I wonder if they were made the same way billiard balls used to be, those would sometimes explode during games

Fire balls

Construcs (SP?) Played with these when older

Errmmm.. In one place they had SUPER cool boy toys.. I am sure they were old when i played with them
But I don’t think they are called what I remember calling them – girdles and beans.. LMFAO that does not sound like a kids toy

Help – they had red and blue cars and ran on batteries and connected from one building to another on metal train tracks like disney, another part had water tanks and funnels and batter operated pumps turbines and chambers, there were houses and highways and bridges and.buildings. it was like plastic and metal building supplies..
There were 1000’s of pieces and it was not the stuff for a train set or a race car set.. this was like a expanding city..

Same home had building things we had to put back into their caes – cases red metal and again..can’t be the name I am thinking – or they really had twisted ideas as to what to call boy toys back then.. there was a robot – and in my childs eyes not small

Paiji (SP?) a game, kinda flicked it out of your fingers onto a board

Machetti – got that when I was about 10 or so, was not to tell the foster mother – but all the boys had them, and they got tired of sharing I guess and complained, we used them in the forest

hand cranked telephone generaters magnetos sp?..

Chemistry sets and I am pretty sure one was atomic energy.. the sandwich guy was on the book but could only use it with the foster father was around

A tv that was in a basement - took it apart and put it back

Tools of all sorts

Magic cotton

Guns – cap and pellet

Racecar sets

Empty bell /yoyo

Knots – monkeys claw?

Slings

video games when I got older

go-karts

pinball

Lead shoes and belts – for water

Too loo kinda like a top

Bikes

Train set

A brain

A body

The great outdoors - bush – forest and ravine – caves I could spend days in alone - mountain

Catapults

Lead solders and other toys

Radio transistors and such

Tanks

Planes

Monkeys in a barrel

Sea monkeys - boring

Frogs - from tadpoles - cat got an albino one I had

and a bunch of other assorted ‘stuff’

Girl toys

A Barbie doll – that I traded with a boy for a truck – we got in a lot of trouble over that

Fridge magnets - are those girls? or both...

Other barbies - *see boom balls above*

Couple dolls
– stupid dolls – I blame them for most of my problems with adults and children (well females anyway - ) as a kid – at about 7 years old I went for ‘surgery’on bladder, they gave me this nice coloured paper diagram of a human and their insides
– I always said there was no way dolls could pee.. well..
I was excited – I wanted to leave the hospital right away – but had to stay for surgery..
anyway.. I had been given a way to see if dolls really did pee..as soon as I could, I checked.. they don’t have insides -
Soon after that I was seeing a doctor that was giving me test and switched homes
Right, kids are allowed to be curious.. nope, guess not and sure can’t try to prove your right either

But, hey no more dolls after that..

I have had lead poisoning, mercury and a bunch of other toxins. test done. I am still alive
Why do the guys always get the real cool things? I know I am missing things, but cannot recall their names.. all boy toys.. hmmm
there must have been more girl toys in my life, but I do not recall any others

So what did you play with?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 11:49 pm

Legos
Hot Wheels
Barbies
My Little Pony
Cabbage Patch Kids
Corgi Routemasters
Lego
Cars
Hungry Hippos

I'd better stop. I'm getting all emotional.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:12 am

Legos
Littlest Pet Shop
Pound Puppies
Tamagotchi
Beanie Babies

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 1:55 am

Barbie Doll
anything to do with trains that I could get
legos, though mostly houses and roller coasters
assorted mcdonalds/fast food toys in the tub

I did a lot of repetitive acting with my toys, but it was usually enactments of shows, rather than anything social.

When I had the chance to play with toys in the sand and stuff at my therapist when I was young, it was mainly for making an entire model of like a place or something. I would place army men and stones and many things out on there, but I wouldn't play with them, unless the therapist got frustrated and tried to have me do something with them. But all I cared about was doing this. This turned into The SIMs and SIM City for SNES later on. :D

I played with dolls with my step sister, but only because I liked my step sister and wanted to collect all the toys with this one doll that was like a real baby. She moved on, I didn't.

I also liked to play with hotwheels and had/have a hotwheel track I used to play with. I guess this is equivalent to my train love.

My favorite toy was my piano.

I sucked at coloring in the lines, but I also loved to do coloring books. I also adored puzzles and wordsearch puzzles. Though mostly frustrating for me, so I never really had them as a major interest like most.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 4:34 am

It's a long time ago, and my memory is hazy. I did love Lego. Still do really, I might get some.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Aug 2010, 4:43 am

Quote:
What Toys did/do you play with?

My dingaling :lol: That one's to obvious for me to pass up 8O

I was really into Legos a lot as a kid. Shortly after I got a new set; I'd take em apart & build new stuff. I was very creative with it. That's about the only way in my life where I was actually very creative. I was also into action figures a lot to like Batman & G.I.Joe. When I got older I as given an SNES for X'mas & I thought that was AWESOME :D
I played with girl toys a bit to thou. I'm an only child & my neighbor was a girl a couple years older than me. In school the guys wer bullies or wer into sports stuff so I played barbie dolls with the girls; dolls are kind of like action figures in a way. I'm not sure it's a good idea to let other boys do that thou cuz I have some gender confusion issues; I feel like a lesbian in a man's body & I suspect it can be partly linked to mostly having girl friends as a kid. It causes lots of problems in a society where guys are supposed to be masculine & are considered gay if they are not

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 18 Aug 2010, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 5:00 am

Toy cars, lots and lots of toy cars.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 9:19 am

I played with mostly girls' toys when I was little, even though I'm male, although I think I did play with some action figures. I remember, whenever McDonald's would jointly give out "Hot Wheels" toys to the boys and "Barbie" toys to the girls in their happy meals, I would always request for the happy meal with the Barbie doll.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 9:23 am

Well, I used to play with all sorts of toys. But there were some I really wanted but never got, one of those being hot wheels.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 11:41 am

Legos
Blocks
Hotwheels
Any dinosaur or car toys pretty much

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:01 pm

I still play with Star Wars toys with my bro, but not very often. Mostly, I buy them these days just to add to my collection which I have been accumalating since '96.

Used to play with:
Legos(recently stopped)
GI Joes(recently stopped)
barbies(disney barbies though. Played with til I was 5)
polly pocket(the really old small ones. I played with them until I was 5)
Penguin plushies(4-6)
horse toys(as a toddler)
fish toys(as a toddler)
Toy microscopes(6-8)
Various other types of toys

CMD
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2010, 12:13 pm

When I was younger, I used to play with beanie babies, dinosaur figures, and barbies that I drew on so I could pretend they were mutants...yeah.

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2010, 12:47 pm

Lots and lots of Legos. I dunno but there's something about autistic people and legos, it was like a dream come true for me. Same with Hot Wheels toy cars.

Needless to say I've outgrown all of that stuff, but if there was one way to get my creative juices flowing as a wee boy, Legos would be my first pick.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 1:14 pm

eagletalon86 wrote:
Lots and lots of Legos. I dunno but there's something about autistic people and legos, it was like a dream come true for me. Same with Hot Wheels toy cars.

Needless to say I've outgrown all of that stuff, but if there was one way to get my creative juices flowing as a wee boy, Legos would be my first pick.

Cause legos are AWESOME. I would still play with them. I only like them if I have the wheels included, too.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 1:21 pm

Transformers
Lego
Dinosaur's

Other stuff

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 1:47 pm

i liked playing with toys where i could make up stories and roleplay, like a little post office/sweet shop toy i had or barbies/dolls

playdough

these big building things my brother had that were kind of like giant meccano

i had a childrens microscope set lol

lots of plastic dinosaurs (yay big brother)

trolls

outdoors things like bikes/skates/pogo stick

sega megadrive & atari

polly pocket, and the boy versions that i dont know the name of

a board game to do with dogs & bones(?) and the one where you have to pick up donut things on a elephant mask

TMNT toys

tamagotchi

pogs

crash dummies

yoyos (yomega?)

guess who

a toy keyboard

cap guns

i played with sticklebrick more than lego

tiny tears

books....

oh and i remember wanting the pink talkboy but never got one:(