Do you not like the Breast cancer promotions?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:42 pm

I'm fine it's a bad disease fix it give money etc. I'm not saying don't! What I'm pinpointing on is stuff such as "I love boobies" or my sisters shirt with hands holding breasts. If we as woman go topless we get arrested. Would people take a stand if it was another private area Penis or Vagina with "I love Penis or I love Vagina." bracelets? I think "I love boobies" and it's promotion of breast is wrong and sick and dirty. The other private parts mention OMG! SICKO! PSYCHO! KILLER! RAPIST! SEX FREAK! ETC. But NOT "I love boobies?! !" What's your take? Sorry to offend if you or someone you know has been affected by breast cancer.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

I think my grandmother would be more offended by "I love Boobies" bracelets then your post, as am I. Use of such an immature word on such a serious note is absurd and annoys the hell out of me.

BTW, my grandmother had stage 3 breast cancer about 7 years ago, which was thought to have been cured by chemotherapy, but turned up in her hip last winter. She's stage 4 now.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 9:31 pm

My mom died of breast cancer, and she would have been deeply offended by this trend.
It's sending the wrong message... objectifying breasts is not the way to raise "awareness" of a serious disease that affects millions of women. It also gives kids an incorrect sense of modesty and respect for the human body. It's just an excuse for simple-minded people to sneak inappropriate portrayals of sexuality into public consciousness... like teenage boys just seeing what they can get away with.

Instead, how about something that would probably get banned quicker in public schools... "I Love Evolution!" :D

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 9:32 pm

my sister has stage IV breast cancer, and i personally like the "feel your boobies" type of advertising. it targets a younger demographic. my sister was first diagnosed at age 31.

Annada
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2011, 9:39 pm

it targets a younger demographic.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 10:07 pm

Of course I support cancer research, I'm not one of those people who thinks anything that depopulates the world is good ... but I do think breast cancer tends to get a lion's share of support and sympathy. I think it's because people in general tend to feel more sorry for women who suffer than for men. But yeah, it does get a lot of publicity compared to lung, prostate, skin, brain, etc cancers.

It's sort of analogous to how the Holocaust is so well remembered and commemorated but nobody really notices or cares about any other genocide.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
my sister has stage IV breast cancer, and i personally like the "feel your boobies" type of advertising. it targets a younger demographic. my sister was first diagnosed at age 31.

Yeah i think humor really helps. There's NOTHING too serious to joke about, as long as the joking is respectful. Humor is a coping mechanism.

BTW good luck to your sister. Hope she's not suffering too much and hope she beats it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Yeah i think humor really helps. There's NOTHING too serious to joke about, as long as the joking is respectful. Humor is a coping mechanism.

BTW good luck to your sister. Hope she's not suffering too much and hope she beats it.

thank you. technically, she is dying. but slowly. she has been at stage IV for 5 years, which is sort of miraculous.

i agree about the funding of breast cancer being ridiculously out of proportion with prostate cancer. the rates of incidence and death are the same.

EDIT - 5 years, not 4 years

Last edited by hyperlexian on 14 Jul 2011, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

calling them boobies is defiling while promoting the cause.. weird way to promote breast cancer indeed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 10:46 pm

... it's as if not enough attention was being given to women's breasts already ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm

I didn't realize breasts had only one function... sexual gratification.

Silly me.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 11:15 pm

I think I'm going to start a testicular cancer campaign.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

thank you. technically, she is dying. but slowly. she has been at stage IV for 5 years, which is sort of miraculous.

i agree about the funding of breast cancer being ridiculously out of proportion with prostate cancer. the rates of incidence and death are the same.

EDIT - 5 years, not 4 years

There is still hope - nanotech, etc. They have pretty much beat AIDS now. I'm praying for your sister! :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

Zen wrote:

Good luck with that. Testicles are not as "sexy" as breasts, thus testicular and prostate cancers receive less attention.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
Zen wrote:

Good luck with that. Testicles are not as "sexy" as breasts, thus testicular and prostate cancers receive less attention.

I just want to wear a shirt that says "I love bollocks!"

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 11:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
Zen wrote:

do some research. there were some high-profile women (i.e. Nancy Reagan) who had breast cancer, and they used their public profile to raise awareness. no men have stepped up to do that. it has NOTHING to do with sexiness.

and the survival rates are the same for prostate and breast cancer, in spite of money being poured into breast cancer research.

there is a seedy underbelly to breast cancer awareness month also:

http://www.healthiertalk.com/breast-can ... art-i-1037