Warning: Superman costume does not enable flight.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:12 am

There is this warning on a Superman costume.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:36 am

It's scandalous that

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:59 am

What exactly are you saying?

Are you telling us that commercially available Superman costumes they sell for Halloween come with a tag that actually states that "this costume does not enable flight"?

If thats what you're claiming then it's news to me, but I would actually believe it ....because...we live in a litigious society and it wouldnt surprise me that manufacturers would feel the need to guard themselves from lawsuits by attaching such a warning.

Ya never know. Some individual consumer, with just a piece of candy corn for a brain, might jump off of a roof while wearing their product...and find that they are NOT flying! Break some bones. And then sue. :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 1:23 pm

But it may sensitise the user to Green Kryptonite via the placebo effect.

People actually dress up as Superman for Halloween? Dammit, it's supposed to be about ghouls and ghosts and monsters and skeletons. World gone crazy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 2:42 pm

You must have been living under a rock for seventy years! Children have always dressed up in store bought costumes as non scary things like Cinderella, or Luke Skywalker.

Grownups will make home made costumes.

I met a middle aged guy at a Halloween party who came as..."a mid-life crises".

I was late to the party and they all told me that he had already dismantled most of his costume so I only got to see a t-shirt with the phrase "mid life crises" emblazoned on it.

Its been driving me crazy ever since trying to imagine HOW he would portray THAT in a costume. Maybe his body was festooned with toy sports cars, and Barbie dolls (to represent trophy wives or something). :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 4:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
You must have been living under a rock for seventy years!

I lived in England mostly, which is a slightly less crazy place, and Halloween isn't such a big thing. Mind you, Southern England is thought by us Northeners to be somewhat bonkers.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 5:35 pm

NewTime wrote:

That's dumb, Superman is good at jumping, all this flying nonsense needs to end now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:02 pm

NewTime wrote:
It's been there at least since the mid-1960s.  According to some "Old Wives' Tales" I heard as a kid, at least one person injured themselves by trying to fly off a garage roof while wearing a Superman Hallowe'en costume.

Read the Washington Post Article  HERE 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 8:20 pm

This was on a costume in an adult size, right? Not a kid's costume. Because first, there are grown adults that are really that dumb. And second, in the USA especially, they have to put that warning on it so they don't their butts sued off if some dumb adult gets themself injured because their lawyer will say, "You didn't put on a warning saying the costume wouldn't be able to make them fly, so they assumed that they could. And so it's all your fault." Seriously. They even put warnings on jars of peanut butter saying "Allergy warning: contains peanuts" for the same reason.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 May 2024, 10:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Ya never know. Some individual consumer, with just a piece of candy corn for a brain, might jump off of a roof while wearing their product...and find that they are NOT flying! Break some bones. And then sue. :lol:
This is not uncommon behavior by some people recording YouTube type vids :lol: except IDK how often they'll sue.

naturalplastic wrote:
If thats what you're claiming then it's news to me, but I would actually believe it ....because...we live in a litigious society and it wouldnt surprise me that manufacturers would feel the need to guard themselves from lawsuits by attaching such a warning.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:51 pm

Didnt Phil Collins do a serious song about that?

"Sue, sue, sue ee ya!"

Maybe it just sounds like that what he is singing. Like Paul McCartney sounds like he is singing "my great, my great, my great Dane". (or my great migraine?).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:52 pm

After a few episodes of Batman on TV, they started to precede it with a warning:
"Robin and I want you to know that we have no wings, no superhuman powers. We cannot fly. Don't try." It ended with Robin saying "Holy broken bones!"

So they feared some kids might come a cropper even without a costume. For some reason there was no such warning in the comic books. I suppose in those days they hadn't seen any fatalities, and / or they thought it was up to the individual to figure these things out for themselves. Not so much LSD around either.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:03 pm

During my early childhood in the early Sixties a lot of the content of children's TV was Hollywood comedy from the 1930s. Like the Our Gang comedies, and the Three Stooges.

I remember our teacher announcing one day that we "recommend that you stop watching the Three Stooges on TV" because it encouraged little kids to ...hit each other over the head with hammers and what not. Dangerous stuff. So I complied - I guess they sent messages to our parents too...and I stopped watching them. And that was probably smart of the public school system to do that.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 14 May 2024, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:15 pm

Gotta protect themselves from crazy lawsuits by people who feign stupidity as a way to try and make some extra money because of this bad economy and rising costs.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:17 pm

Thats kinda hard to pull off I would think.

Deliberately injure yourself...just enough...to launch a plausible/viable lawsuit...but not enough to kill yourself (or tragically f**k yourself up by say ...making yourself into a quadraplegic ). Injure yourself...just enough...to enjoy any monetary fruits of the lawsuit. But not so much as to kill yourself...or live but wish you had killed yourself.

So...hats off to anyone who is smart enough to pretend to be dumb enough to fly like superman off of roof and still live a viable life.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:05 pm

Because it's they picked the wrong cape.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But yeah, sure -

I thought the same with rainbow cookies summoning pot of gold, levitating with the witch's broom, super chocolate pills granting super powers, waiting to snow in the tropics, trick or treating in a rural side neighborhood in Southeast Asia and planet X on collision on earth. :lol:

The heck lol.
Sue?? Really???

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.