Do you have certain words you don't like people saying?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 10:11 am

I don't know if this is an Aspie thing or not, but I know it's something unique because nobody else I know does this. WhenI was about 14 I wrote a list of words what I hate close people like my relatives (ie my mum) to say, since it either annoys me or offends me in some way. I still have the list somewhere, but she knows what words she's ''not allowed'' to say. Yes, it is stupid, and I try not to let this worry me any more, but she's so used to me that it's become one of those things.

The most thing what I don't like anyone saying is, ''who?''
I have developed a strange fear of people saying, ''who?'' when they mis-hear a name. For example, if I was talking to my mum about someone who works where I work and I say their name, she would most probably say, ''who?'', since she doesn't know the people I work with. And I really hate it when people say, ''who?'' I don't know why - I just do. So I end up just saying, ''one of the ladies who I work with....''

I never say ''who?'' because I usually hear the name what people say. Say if someone said, ''I saw Emma today?'' and I didn't know Emma, I would just say, ''who is Emma?'' I wouldn't just say, ''you saw who?''
Of course, saying ''who?'' is OK if it's said in another sort of way. Say if I said, ''I saw him today,'' and the other person said, ''who?'' There's a different tone of voice there, and they didn't say ''who?'' because of not hearing the name. They said ''who?'' because I didn't mention the name at all. So there's a different sort of context there with the same word.

It just drives me mad when people hear every word in the sentence but the name! If I said ''I saw Emma today'', and someone didn't hear the name, I just think, ''how come they heard the other words in the sentence? Why don't someone say ''you saw Emma when?''!'' My Nan says ''who?'' at every single name you say - even if it's a very familiar person you're talking about, and it really annoys me! I could say a name in the most clearest way, and she still says it.

Can anyone else relate, or am I really the only person who has this weird habit?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 11:20 am

Yes. ret*d, ret*d and other words along the same line.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 12:41 pm

Not to sound facetious, but I hate it when other people say, "No." I 'm a shy person and don't ask for something unless I more than deserve it, so "No" just isn't a permissible answer. Other words that make me see red include "grandbaby" and the now almost universal "invite" for "invitation". I don't much like parties anyway, but I'm certain to dislike one with invites, which is sure attract people who want to show you pictures of their grandbabies.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 1:48 pm

anything out of a mean person's mouth that isn't preceded by "i'm sorry..."

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Oh yes many, mostly words that relate to the process of growing up, if that makes any sense at all. It's just embarrassing.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 2:01 pm

It annoys me when people are actually constantly swearing IRL... It makes me feel pretty uncomfortable to talk to the person in a normal way yet it doesn't annoy me as such online yet I used to swear frequently but it was all out of frustration if anything.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 3:12 pm

I hate it when people say "pee" or "poop". I don't know why, but I just hate those words. When in casual company I prefer to say "piss" or "crap", and when in more polite company I say something like "using the restroom".

It also makes me feel embarrassed whenever people say words that are related to childbirth, such as "push" or "labor". Even typing words like that makes me blush! I know why it makes me uncomfortable, but I'd rather not say...

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 3:27 pm

I used to hate it when my Mum said 'not an option'. I don't know why it absolutely sent me into a rage. Now I hate it when people say 'understand'. Sometimes I over-observe the use of certain words such as 'I', 'you' 'want' and I get really agitated. I think it is an autism thing because I read a book about a lad who couldn't stand the word 'proud'.

Kittendumpling
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2011, 3:38 pm

There are a few words I dislike hearing, and sufficiently enough that I'm not going to write them.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 3:53 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Yes. ret*d, ret*d and other words along the same line.

This

Including Mong.

DarknLight
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2011, 1:28 am

...am traumatised from the word QUEIT

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2011, 4:07 am

I abhor the current catch phrases, "really?" and "seriously?". These are usually spoken with a higher tone of voice and it doesn't seem to be reflecting a sense of incredulity but rather, to me, it seems as if the speaker of these phrases is being an @ss and demeaning what someone else is saying or doing.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

07 May 2011, 4:31 am

not really a word, but when people interupt their sentances frequently with Uhhhhhhhhhh. That sound is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Politians do it alot, expecailly when they are trying hard not to tell the truth while caught off guard.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 5:18 am

"stuff"

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:06 am

"nice" - the word is so bland and overused.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:14 am

Big, strong man and weak, little woman.