Why would cars leave their lights on? So annoying...

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Planetarium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2019, 12:42 pm

Apparently they think they're horizontal lampposts now, seriously... society is screwed up when at 5am they can blare very bright lights in people's eyes for tens of minutes. And they weren't defrosting, as it wasn't that cold, but "hey, since we can afford to let's blind any passerby!" - can't think of a better excuse. One can only exercise early in the morning, since the day provides a monstrous amount of obstacles, but oh, if one even dares to go out as late as 5am, there we go, unable to go back lest one is blinded...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:14 pm

Its pitch black out at five am (when I hafta be at work often). At least it is where I live.

And even if it were midsummer when it starts to be twilight at five am you are still expected (and in someplaces required by law) to have your headlights on. Don't have be on high beams, but have them on.

So I don't know what you are complaining about.

And besides this topic has nothing to do with autism (general, or otherwise) so it doesn't even belong here. Should be moved to "Random Discussion", or like that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:23 pm

FYI...

Many modern-day vehicles are designed to keep the headlights on while the engine is running.

Some drivers may switch them on when it's dark out and don't switch them off until they arrive at their destinations.

Some drivers may switch them on anyway to make their vehicles more visible to other drivers.

Some governmental bodies may have passed laws requiring headlights to be on in foggy, rainy, and snowy conditions.

:D The more you know, the more you grow!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:56 pm

And drivers need their headlights to see you (and your reflective vest, if you're smart enough to wear one)when its THAT early.

I take it that you're a jogger. Would you rather they hit you while you jog?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:58 pm

Come to think of it, why would anyone be jogging in the road when it's dark in the first place?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 2:02 pm

[moved to random discussion from GAD]

headlights have definitely gotten brighter over the years. halogen, xenon, LED, laser, it's good technology but in a group the light can be sometimes overwhelming, and as SUVs and other high vehicles get more popular (and people lift their trucks without reaiming the headlights) you end up with people in older or lower cars getting absolutely blinded. regular headlights (low beams) should normally point slightly down, not straight ahead.

most cars are required now to have "running lights", to be on at all times while the car is running even during rhe day. my 1999 lexus has this but many cars newer than it don't. sometimes these running lights are so bright by themselves that people forget to turn on their actual headlights as dusk comes.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2019, 2:03 pm

The headlights in my car are automatic so I just let them go on or off whenever they want.
However, it sounds like your complaint is about vehicles parked with their lights on, that is weird. My lights stay on after I get out of the car to provide safety when walking from the car to the door but only for about 10 seconds.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:05 pm

Yes it does have to do with autism. :? If you don't have the symptom of light sensitivity, consider yourself lucky!

Ugh it's just so awful and annoying and bright these days. I'm sorry you had to deal with those cars.

I can't go out for a meal tonight with mum because every single vegan restaurant has flashing or bright lights and candles on the table, even though it's not Christmas anymore. And to get anywhere by foot, we had to deal with people who had flashing LED lights on their bikes. I have a headache just from the walk there.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
Come to think of it, why would anyone be jogging in the road when it's dark in the first place?

I did quite a lot of running at night when I was younger -- never got hit or had a close call. Sometimes it's a runner's only option during the winter months.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jan 2019, 9:53 pm

Deemar wrote:
However, it sounds like your complaint is about vehicles parked with their lights on, that is weird
I thought it was about parked vehicles too. Sometimes drivers forget to turn their lights off when they stop or they just don't bother when stopping for a short period of time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 10:00 pm

nick007 wrote:
Deemar wrote:
However, it sounds like your complaint is about vehicles parked with their lights on, that is weird
I thought it was about parked vehicles too. Sometimes drivers forget to turn their lights off when they stop or they just don't bother when stopping for a short period of time.

The number of parked cars with lights on at any given time is so tiny that even a light sensitive aspie would not notice it as a thing in the environment. If you absent mindedly leave your lights on after you park the lights go out after a couple of hours because the car battery goes dead. So there is no way your neighborhood is going to be awash in light coming from parked cars.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 2:07 am

So we can see the road and other cars and people and not hit them. Plus it's the law to have your lights on when it is raining out or when the clouds are making it dark because of the time of day and lack of sun light. It makes cars notice you more.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 2:08 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
[moved to random discussion from GAD]

headlights have definitely gotten brighter over the years. halogen, xenon, LED, laser, it's good technology but in a group the light can be sometimes overwhelming, and as SUVs and other high vehicles get more popular (and people lift their trucks without reaiming the headlights) you end up with people in older or lower cars getting absolutely blinded. regular headlights (low beams) should normally point slightly down, not straight ahead.

most cars are required now to have "running lights", to be on at all times while the car is running even during rhe day. my 1999 lexus has this but many cars newer than it don't. sometimes these running lights are so bright by themselves that people forget to turn on their actual headlights as dusk comes.

Some lights bling me I have to slow down and if they are reflecting in my rear view mirror, I just move it up so it won't shine in my face.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2019, 2:42 am

Are you referring to daytime running lights (DRLs) as opposed to headlights?

Here in the UK DRLs became mandatory for all new vehicles around about 2011. They are far brighter than headlights. They come on automatically when the engine is started so if people don't drive off straight away they will still be on. They are designed to make the vehicle more visible to other road users in daylight rather than to provide illumination for the driver's benefit. Personally I think they are too bright. Because they are so bright they are designed to switch off automatically when the headlights are switched on so they shouldn't be in use at night.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 5:35 am

Sandpiper wrote:
Are you referring to daytime running lights (DRLs) as opposed to headlights?

Here in the UK DRLs became mandatory for all new vehicles around about 2011. They are far brighter than headlights. They come on automatically when the engine is started so if people don't drive off straight away they will still be on. They are designed to make the vehicle more visible to other road users in daylight rather than to provide illumination for the driver's benefit. Personally I think they are too bright. Because they are so bright they are designed to switch off automatically when the headlights are switched on so they shouldn't be in use at night.

Ah thanks for this. I was wondering why idiots had over lit lights on during the day.

This is so annoying to those of us who are light sensitive and just want to walk somewhere where there happen to be cars.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2019, 12:03 pm

Headlights are supposed to be angled down and slightly to the left (UK), or the right if you drive on the right.

There is nothing more annoying than a car parked (with it's lights on) on the left (or right; see above) facing oncoming traffic. That slight angle to the left/right means approaching traffic is dazzled by the lights....... :evil: :evil: :roll: