Page 272 of 280 [ 4473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 280  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 12:17 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
When I don’t know the meaning of a word, I usually google it if context isn’t helping me get it. I do this a lot when I’m reading in Spanish and especially French.

Good idea but it does not always work. They give me many more words I don't know to explain the first word! Used to happen a lot when I would be told to look them up in a dictionary and go from word to word and not know which word I started off with.
Is odd because I have an above average intelligence but it does not come out in the range of my vocabulary though my vocabularly is a whole lot larger today that it was in the past. I often found foreigners wanting to learn english liked me and when I asked one she said that it was because I was easy to learn from as I kept to simpler words.
My Mum is the opposite. Her mind works in words. She thinks in words when doing mathematical things. (I think in pictures of dots if I have to deep think in maths).

Do you find that when you learn a new word an old word you don't use gets chucked out the other end of your mind? I think this happens to me and is why langauges I am no good at.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:03 pm

RomperSuit, Badgerball2000 and f@rtp0wder

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:24 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Do you find that when you learn a new word an old word you don't use gets chucked out the other end of your mind? I think this happens to me and is why langauges I am no good at.

It doesn’t happen to me. Sometimes it helps me remember other words if they relate to each other in some way. I’m a very visual person. When I’m reading a book in Spanish, I can’t always remember the word in English, but I can picture it in my mind. Since I think in pictures, translating into English requires an extra step. I read the word, see the picture in my mind, and then need to put a word to it. It’s really weird. I couldn’t think of the English word “doorknob” once, but I could see a picture of one. It’s a wonder I don’t struggle more than I do now that I think about it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:46 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

It doesn’t happen to me. Sometimes it helps me remember other words if they relate to each other in some way. I’m a very visual person. When I’m reading a book in Spanish, I can’t always remember the word in English, but I can picture it in my mind. Since I think in pictures, translating into English requires an extra step. I read the word, see the picture in my mind, and then need to put a word to it. It’s really weird. I couldn’t think of the English word “doorknob” once, but I could see a picture of one. It’s a wonder I don’t struggle more than I do now that I think about it.

I think you are doing very well.
Living in Wales I am expected to speak welsh but while I can remember a few simple words, I struggle with any more, and I was absolutely hopeless at making sentences with those words and changing the beginnings according to how those words were supposed to be used. Was worse in french! In english I was accused of not reading, when I was reading railway books for hours every day (Though I am one who gets more information out of the pictures which is hard to explain to others, especially teachers as they did not always believe me. A picture I can study, study and study and get more and more out of (Depending on the picture and what it is and if it grabs my attention or not as if it grabs my attention, my mind then can go deep).
Do you get faceblindness though? Is odd I get faceblindness being a visual thinker, as the two seem like they should be the same thing. (As in the visual attention to detail side of things).

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:57 pm

Perhaps the concept of a Auto-Didact definition applies to MountainGoat ?.. :scratch:

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:59 pm

Jakki wrote:
Perhaps the concept of a Auto-Didact definition applies to MountainGoat ?.. :scratch:

What is a one of them?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:05 pm

Quote by Mountaingoat:
Though I am one who gets more information out of the pictures which is hard to explain to others, especially teachers as they did not always believe me. A picture I can study, study and study and get more and more out of (Depending on the picture and what it is and if it grabs my attention or not as if it grabs my attention, my mind then can go deep.
---- ----- -------- ----------
The above describes , what I consider being the definition of a Auto-Didact to be . (Also learning a thing or concept by physically doing it once. perhaps) ( Self taught)

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:34 pm

Interesting.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:51 pm

TodpotTadpole

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:58 pm

Snozzberry and SmellyTurnip

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:16 pm

I liked SmellyTurnip but they always seemed to take anything i said the wrong way. :(

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:25 pm

Yeah, they could be like that, unfortunately. Still, I miss seeing them sround.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 12:20 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
People I wonder about:

What happened to that Kraftikortie (sp?) guy? He posted every day. Guess he was killing time on the clock at his civil service job, our tax dollars at work. Once he retired it was bye-bye?

Pepe the skunk - was he banned? He used to post a lot then just ceased.

Joe90 - British girl who was here for quite a while, ceased posting out of nowhere.

There was this other user whose name I can't remember but had a cat avatar. She used to alter words to make them sound kind of silly (berry for very, eggspecially for especially).

Anyone have any ideas? What have I missed?

All banned. (Though not sure about the one that changed words).

Why would BTBnnyr be banned?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 2:52 am

androbot01 ^^

afaik she passed away.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 7:50 am

I'd like to see every member that WP ever had all posting at once. That would be fun.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Feb 2024, 8:08 am

:lol: The site would probably implode.