Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

I have been riding the bus recently and I have seen something I don't understand. People with accessories that are far out of place on the bus. For example, someone had $500 headphones and another had a Chanel bag. Why are these people spending their money on crap like that when they ride the bus?(I understand that there are people who cannot or choose not to drive. This does not apply to them.)

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:
(I understand that there are people who cannot or choose not to drive. This does not apply to them.)

That could be it. Sometimes I don't like driving the car so I use the bus.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

Hmmm, they might be going somewhere important and looks are deceiving. Idk :shrug:

Tom_NUFC
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

I don't drive myself, but here in the UK its often easier to get the bus when going to certain places. I live in Newcastle, and not many people where I live wouldn't drive to the city centre, because its much easier to get the bus or Metro, what with one way systems, parking etc.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

I find it more disturbing that you believe that public transport is seemingly only for the poor.

Sometimes riding the bus is much more economical than driving a car, or maybe their car is in the shop, or the items they have were gifts and they actually don't have that much money of their own.

Don't jump to conclusions without knowing all the details.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Aspies ask the weirdest questions.. ;)
Everybody can't afford their own private jets.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:
NT's have weird priorities. I have been riding the bus recently and I have seen something I don't understand. People with accessories that are far out of place on the bus. For example, someone had $500 headphones and another had a Chanel bag. Why are these people spending their money on crap like that when they ride the bus?(I understand that there are people who cannot or choose not to drive. This does not apply to them.)

What makes you think these people are NTs?

I know a few Autistic people that carry expensive children's toys with them wherever they go, and they're in there 20s and 30s.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

What I don't get is people who smoke and then complain that they can barely afford to buy food. I understand addiction, but come on...

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:24 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
I find it more disturbing that you believe that public transport is seemingly only for the poor.

I agree, public transportation is for anyone to use, in fact I think more people should be using it. If you go to a large city like Chicago you are at a huge disadvantage if you don't take public transportation. Everytime I go there I see all sorts of people on the buses and trains, they are for everybody.

Zen wrote:
What I don't get is people who smoke and then complain that they can barely afford to buy food. I understand addiction, but come on...

This annoys me too! I've seen quite a few people with drug habits who complain about being poor while they just spent a bunch of money on their addiction. Drug addiction is kind of a viscous cycle though...

Another similar annoyance is that I once had a roommate who was telling we didn't have cable because no one really watched TV in the apartment. That was fine by me, but his statement was so hypocritical, he claimed to never watch TV but he was always watching TV shows on his computer... its the same thing! :x

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:56 pm

Zen wrote:

... smoke, drink, take drugs, party, commit assault, get arrested, post bail, hire a lawyer, lose their job ...

... and then start all over again!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 6:00 pm

In a city, it is often faster and simply better to use a bus. Also, gas is starting to skyrocket in price (At least it is here) so some do not want to deal with the prices.

As a result, that money used toward the car is put towards other goodies.

Last edited by Jonsi on 12 Aug 2011, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Aug 2011, 6:01 pm

kra17 wrote:
Aspies ask the weirdest questions.. ;)

That couldn't be more true if Abraham Lincoln said it.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 6:05 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:
I,(I understand that there are people who cannot or choose not to drive. This does not apply to them.)

I like driving. I frequently choose to drive. But not in the city. The traffic is so horrible and finding parking is so stressful that it's just so much calmer to relax on the bus.

You are making the assumption that people who can drive and like it will always choose it over the bus. But there are places where a car is just not worth the hassle. It isn't the money. It's the stress.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

I commute 25 miles one-way, crossing through three cities to get to work

My attempts to use public transportation added an hour to my commute - two hours total each day.

There were five transfers each way. Someone had puked on the train. Someone else had lost control of his/her bladder on the bus. Someone threatened me with a knife. Someone else thought I was a narc and threatened to follow me home and carve me up. I fell asleep, missed my stop, and ended up 10 mile past my house. Panhandlers were always hitting me up for spare change. Hookers and pushers were always trying to sell me their services and wares. Someone tried to steal my watch, and then told the police that I had stolen it from him first. Someone else tried to steal my backpack and ripped open one of the seams. Losers were always trying to get a free ride on my pass ("I'm with him!"). I got a contact high from the stoners in the back. The drivers/conductors were all surly and/or indifferent. Someone threw a rock through the window ... et cetera ... ad taedium ...

I'd rather fight rush-hour traffic ... on a Friday before a holiday ... with a crying kid in the car ... and no air-conditioning ...

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:46 pm

As a person addicted to expensive stuff I can't afford, I must say this is quite common...
That is why we ride the bus / subway, because we love Chanel. Save on cabs / cars, buy nice shoes, jackets, and bags. :)

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

sometimes it depends where they work... if they work in the CBD of a large city and would have to pay $20-$30 a day in parking, catching the bus isn't so silly - and it doesn't mean their not cruising around in their Audi or BMW on the weekend.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge