Does anyone else find animatronics kinda creepy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 10:12 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else here was kind of creeped out by animatronics, cuz I always kind of have been. When I say animatronics, I mean like the ones at Chuck E. Cheese in the 80s and 90s, Showbiz Pizza, ones like that. I remember being a little kid going to Camp Snoopy with my parents and aunt and going on the rides meant for young kids and getting to see the people dressed up as Peanuts characters (Linus gave me a big head-hug and even let me cuddle his blanket! :D) and then we went on Paul Bunyan's log ride. I liked PBLR for the most part, but there were all these animatronic people that kind of scared me. For one, there was a housewife flipping pancakes, and a little later, you passed right by Babe the ox hauling timber, and he'd turn his head to discourteously snort mist in your face. On top of that was Paul Bunyan himself with his feet planted right over the exit to the tunnel, singing a mountaineer song at the top of his lungs.

In fact, here's a POV video of that very ride from Youtube - it might be a bit different than I've described from memory, but this way you get an idea of how loud and eerie the ride seemed to me as a kid. It wasn't loud enough to make me melt down or have sensory overload, though - and it was actually kind of fascinating, as well as somewhat disconcerting. And I kind of liked Paul Bunyan and Babe, since I'd seen the old Disney cartoon about them on the Disney Channel not long before.

Also, the video was taken after Mall Of America lost the rights to Camp Snoopy and had to replace everything with Spongebob and Dora stuff. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VfzfgXkRWA

And then there's the cowboys, animal barn dance, and piano-playing gorilla at Wall Drug, South Dakota:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QifsjpvSypQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WafmyPqDy_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AKt9UCLibE

Oddly enough, I've always loved it when people dress up in constumes and suits, like at Disneyland - to me, they were like huge stuffed animals come to life. But for some reason, I've never been crazy about animatronics. Maybe it's cuz unlike with people in suits, there's something obviously artificial in robotic movement?...I really don't know.

Anyone else?

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2014, 10:45 pm

Yes, I can say that animatronics do creep me the hell out 8O It's kind of like hating to have stuffed animals in my room because I felt like they were going to come alive and attack me or something :(

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2017, 12:32 pm

Depends on what materials the faces are made out of :P All-fabric faces like at Chuck E. Cheese and Country Bear Jamboree are fine, but ones with latex facial features can be creepy :P

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

They might look creepy sometimes, but I don't think they're evil or possessed or whatever.

I have a collection of Furbies, including the most recent one, Furby Connection, and I really don't get why people find them so terrifying. But then again I'm terrified of things other people don't think twice about.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 10:41 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
They might look creepy sometimes, but I don't think they're evil or possessed or whatever.

I have a collection of Furbies, including the most recent one, Furby Connection, and I really don't get why people find them so terrifying. But then again I'm terrified of things other people don't think twice about.

I don't find them terrifying. In fact, I find them very interesting. PARTICULARLY the circuit bent Furbies. Those are wonderful.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

These things only creep me out when they have malfunctions.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 2:17 am

No, I don't find animatronics creepy. I tend to like them. But if I had seen one as a kid and it moved strangely and/or had a creepy voice, I might have found it creepy.
Unlike most people I'm not creeped out by robotic uncanny valley, but I lose interest if it looks more like a real human because I am generally drawn to animals and even robots but not to people. I found the video "I feel fantastic" boring, not creepy, and I don't get why so many people are creeped out by it. A robot that looked entirely human would be both cool and uninteresting to me; cool! an advanced robot, and boring! it just look human.
For some reason the thought of a very realistic turtle animatronics makes me a bit sad.

And for some reason I find the word animatronics a bit creepy; probably because I mainly connect it with FNAF.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 3:51 am

Am I the only Aspie who finds Vsauce's video "Why are things creepy" creepy?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 7:20 am

Isn't this idea essentially the whole concept behind "Five Nights at Freddy's"? :P

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Isn't this idea essentially the whole concept behind "Five Nights at Freddy's"? :P

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread. My brother loves those games, and has told me the story behind them.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 2:48 pm

I don't know if this is off-topic or not, but wasn't there a Elmo knows your name doll that blurted out "Kill James"?

Last edited by UncannyDanny on 15 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

Many things creep me out: animatronics, robots, androids, mannequins, puppets, marionettes, clocks...

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII